Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Top game show catchphrases?  (Read 20790 times)

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
Top game show catchphrases?
« Reply #60 on: October 19, 2006, 10:35:31 AM »
[quote name=\'DoorNumberFour\' post=\'134956\' date=\'Oct 19 2006, 09:20 AM\']
"We polled a recent studio audience, and we got our best response to this..."
[/quote]
Methinks you're grasping at straws.  That's hardly a catchphrase.  I see very few scenarios where you can use that in casual, everyday conversation, a la "Is that your final answer?" or "You bet your bippy."

Before this becomes a thread of "let's invoke any sentence that's ever been heard on a game show and call it a catchphrase," let's take a step back and think a little bit.  Actually, think a lot.

Doug
« Last Edit: October 19, 2006, 10:41:50 AM by SRIV94 »
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #61 on: October 19, 2006, 10:44:03 AM »
[quote name=\'SRIV94\' post=\'134957\' date=\'Oct 19 2006, 07:35 AM\']
Before this becomes a thread of "let's invoke any sentence that's ever been heard on a game show and call it a catchphrase," let's take a step back and think a little bit.  Actually, think a lot.
[/quote]
Precisely what I was gonna say. You, however (and as expected), were far more diplomatic. :)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

DoorNumberFour

• ChristianCarrion.com
« Reply #62 on: October 19, 2006, 10:53:12 AM »
Alright, my bad.
Podcaster, National Archives of Game Show History
"Tell Us About Yourself: Conversations with Game Show Contestants" available on all streaming services
christian@christiancarrion.com

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #63 on: October 19, 2006, 11:10:56 AM »
[quote name=\'SRIV94\' post=\'134957\' date=\'Oct 19 2006, 10:35 AM\']Before this becomes a thread of "let's invoke any sentence that's ever been heard on a game show and call it a catchphrase," let's take a step back and think a little bit.  Actually, think a lot.[/quote]
I think we're way, WAY past that.  Any truly useful catch phrase (a well-known line from a well-known show) got mentioned within the first page.  I'm surprised you came down on his line from Feud, because it's at least something people would be familiar with.  Two posts earlier, he came up with "...the faster you identify, the larger will be your prize." (huh?) from, of all things, Camouflage.  Nobody seemed to bat an eye.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

SRIV94

« Reply #64 on: October 19, 2006, 11:10:58 AM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'134958\' date=\'Oct 19 2006, 09:44 AM\']
Precisely what I was gonna say. You, however (and as expected), were far more diplomatic. :)
[/quote]
Much appreciated.  I almost smashed your expectations with El Bandito's "zero-tolerance" thread, but cooler heads prevailed and I didn't bother (didn't want to get that first strike :) ).

Doug
Doug
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

SRIV94

« Reply #65 on: October 19, 2006, 11:18:32 AM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'134960\' date=\'Oct 19 2006, 10:10 AM\']
[quote name=\'SRIV94\' post=\'134957\' date=\'Oct 19 2006, 10:35 AM\']Before this becomes a thread of "let's invoke any sentence that's ever been heard on a game show and call it a catchphrase," let's take a step back and think a little bit.  Actually, think a lot.[/quote]
I think we're way, WAY past that.  Any truly useful catch phrase (a well-known line from a well-known show) got mentioned within the first page.  I'm surprised you came down on his line from Feud, because it's at least something people would be familiar with.  Two posts earlier, he came up with "...the faster you identify, the larger will be your prize." (huh?) from, of all things, Camouflage.  Nobody seemed to bat an eye.
[/quote]
Point taken, although he was quoting from MG7x, not FF.

As far as the CAMOUFLAGE thing, I didn't post a rebuke, because I had posted one two posts earlier than his for the HSq rule reading (albeit it was for someone else).  I didn't want to be perceived as "piling on."  When D#4 went ahead and posted the MG7x one that was just as non-catchphrasical, I drew the line.  Prolly would've helped had I quoted the CAMOUFLAGE one as well, but I didn't think of it at the time.

And you're right--this thread got past that long ago.

Doug
« Last Edit: October 19, 2006, 11:23:56 AM by SRIV94 »
Doug

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #66 on: October 19, 2006, 12:20:51 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'134960\' date=\'Oct 19 2006, 08:10 AM\']
Two posts earlier, he came up with "...the faster you identify, the larger will be your prize." (huh?) from, of all things, Camouflage.  Nobody seemed to bat an eye.
[/quote]
I assure you, mine rolled. I didn't post because there just wouldn't have been a point...as you said, this thread went pretty much south after the first page, and some folks just aren't worth trying to redeem.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #67 on: October 19, 2006, 12:25:43 PM »
This thread should not end without a mention of the greatest catch phrase of all time:

Snake Charmer.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

rialtus

« Reply #68 on: October 19, 2006, 01:00:49 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'134960\' date=\'Oct 19 2006, 10:10 AM\']Two posts earlier, he came up with "...the faster you identify, the larger will be your prize." (huh?) from, of all things, Camouflage.  Nobody seemed to bat an eye.[/quote]It wasn't worth it, because we all know the general populous would not even remember Camouflage as a show, much less be able to figure out the host or a catchphrase. Those that don't understand this want to play in the sandbox, and that's fine until someone kicks sand into some else's eye. Sometimes, giving free advice isn't worth the cost.

/ACK! I've been assimilated by a pointy haired boss!