Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Jim Perry WABC clip  (Read 9619 times)

joe_capitano

Jim Perry WABC clip
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2006, 07:58:08 PM »
Hmm. Maybe we can get their resident tape restorian Rob Frankel to prep this one for next year's "WABC Rewound". I notice a couple of things missing, though: the bell after the choir sings "WABC", and that trademark plate reverb Musicradio used. Evidently this was recorded before the audio got to that step. Good stuff, though.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2006, 08:01:34 PM by joe_capitano »

davemackey

Jim Perry WABC clip
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2006, 10:34:23 PM »
[quote name=\'joe_capitano\' post=\'134916\' date=\'Oct 18 2006, 07:58 PM\']
Hmm. Maybe we can get their resident tape restorian Rob Frankel to prep this one for next year's "WABC Rewound". I notice a couple of things missing, though: the bell after the choir sings "WABC", and that trademark plate reverb Musicradio used. Evidently this was recorded before the audio got to that step. Good stuff, though.
[/quote]
It was probably an aircheck right off the studio board, so it wouldn't have the processing on it. And the WABC sounder without the bell was the order of the day at the time Perry was heard on this aircheck.

Robair

Jim Perry WABC clip
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2006, 10:55:55 PM »
I don't know about you, but after hearing Jim Perry intro Led Zeppelin's "Black Dog" now I can truly die in peace.

And to answer Messrs. Mello and Capitano, this check has the elements that make it a very viable candidate for next year's rewound: good base sound, a great mix of songs, a DJ that very rarely pops up on airchecks, and very few non-song elements to clear (during the length of the aircheck there were no commercials and just one Dan Ingram PSA).
--Robair

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
Jim Perry WABC clip
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2006, 02:26:28 PM »
Very interesting listen.

Like the majority, I hadn't heard Jim Perry on the radio, so this is a good package there. He was more than capable at being a DJ. (The guy who sounds like he's speaking through a voice box is a little creepy, but it's cool.)
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

Chief-O

Jim Perry WABC clip
« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2006, 04:43:04 PM »
I realize who wrote the original post, but sometimes he does find something noteworthy. Nice find! Jim seemed to fit right in!
« Last Edit: October 19, 2006, 04:43:47 PM by Chief-O »
.....and it goes like this!!!

aaron sica

Jim Perry WABC clip
« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2006, 04:55:06 PM »
[quote name=\'Chief-O\' post=\'135042\' date=\'Oct 19 2006, 04:43 PM\']
I realize who wrote the original post, but sometimes he does find something noteworthy. Nice find! Jim seemed to fit right in!
[/quote]

It's rare, but yeah. This was definitely a good find. I always enjoyed listening to airchecks of game show hosts as DJ's.

davemackey

Jim Perry WABC clip
« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2006, 05:05:27 PM »
[quote name=\'aaron sica\' post=\'135046\' date=\'Oct 19 2006, 04:55 PM\']
[quote name=\'Chief-O\' post=\'135042\' date=\'Oct 19 2006, 04:43 PM\']
[/quote]

It's rare, but yeah. This was definitely a good find. I always enjoyed listening to airchecks of game show hosts as DJ's.
[/quote]
I always liked the novelty of actually going to LA and listening to game show hosts and announcers doing real radio, back in the day. Of course, I was in radio at the time, so it was a busman's holiday. I'd listen to guys like Gary Owens, Charlie Tuna, Bob Eubanks, Jim Lange, etc.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2006, 05:06:00 PM by davemackey »

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
Jim Perry WABC clip
« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2006, 05:15:04 PM »
[quote name=\'davemackey\' post=\'135049\' date=\'Oct 19 2006, 04:05 PM\']
I always liked the novelty of actually going to LA and listening to game show hosts and announcers doing real radio, back in the day. Of course, I was in radio at the time, so it was a busman's holiday. I'd listen to guys like Gary Owens, Charlie Tuna, Bob Eubanks, Jim Lange, etc.
[/quote]
And Charlie Tuna's still toiling on the L.A. airwaves--at KBIG.  I didn't get a chance to hear him much while in L.A. this past summer during the Congreff (of course, this year I had an iPod with me instead of solely relying on my Walkman).

Doug
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

Robert Hutchinson

Jim Perry WABC clip
« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2006, 05:52:11 PM »
On my local oldies station, between Charlie's show "Back to the '70s", M.G. Kelly's "American Hit List", and the (national) early-afternoon DJ playing nothing but tracks off of the first Game Show Themes CD whenever he talks, it's disappointing to not have any actual game show content. (Being caller #10 doesn't count, no.)
Visit my CB radio at www.twitter.com/ertchin