Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Does DOND Still Thrill You?  (Read 20094 times)

TimK2003

Does DOND Still Thrill You?
« Reply #30 on: September 21, 2006, 08:57:30 PM »
I don't believe this question has ever been brought up before so here goes.  

To those Invisioners from the foreign lands (England, Australia, etc...):

Have your local versions of DonD, or other game shows of the past got gonzo-crazy with creating extra-spectacular episodes with extra money jackpots, celebrity versions, etc?  If so, were these "very special episodes" done too often, not at all, or were done well without overkilling the show?

I just want to get a feel how other countries deal with the "mo' money syndrome for extra ratings" factor.

pownster

« Reply #31 on: September 21, 2006, 10:41:25 PM »
[quote name=\'TimK2003\' post=\'132352\' date=\'Sep 21 2006, 07:57 PM\']
I don't believe this question has ever been brought up before so here goes.  

To those Invisioners from the foreign lands (England, Australia, etc...):

Have your local versions of DonD, or other game shows of the past got gonzo-crazy with creating extra-spectacular episodes with extra money jackpots, celebrity versions, etc?  If so, were these "very special episodes" done too often, not at all, or were done well without overkilling the show?

I just want to get a feel how other countries deal with the "mo' money syndrome for extra ratings" factor.
[/quote]

I will speak on behalf of the Australian version. Fortunately - we haven't seen the need to really ramp up the hype. Apart from the occasional cross-promotional weeks (like this week with "Dancing With the Stars"), and the introduction of the "Double or Nothing" feature and Double Deal Friday (where a home contestant wins the same amount as the studio player) - nothing much has changed format or money wise since the introduction of the 1/2 hour daily version of the show at the start of 2004. There have been the very occasional prime-time versions (with $2,000,000 top prizes) but gratefully - they have been used sparingly. Our contestants are rarely as "obnoxious" as some of those I've seen on the US version - contestants go on the show primarily to have fun, and perhaps pick up some doe along the way. 'Casting' for the show is minimal (I auditioned many months ago and was accepted - and I'm pretty ordinary). And unlike the US version, all contestants on our podium can win money - so the love is shared around.  

"Deal" has worked well for the Seven Network - they have a consistent performer which pays the bills and brings viewers in for the important primetime hours (where they have increased their ratings significantly over the past two years). They certainly won't be relinguising the rights to the format any time soon.

As a sideline however - I much prefer the UK version. I think it will be a real stayer - as it has suspense and character which will hold viewers.
Chris Powney

Australian Game Show Home Page

http://members.iinet.net.au/~powney/gameshow/homepage.htm

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #32 on: September 21, 2006, 11:04:49 PM »
[quote name=\'pownster\' post=\'132359\' date=\'Sep 21 2006, 07:41 PM\']
As a sideline however - I much prefer the UK version.[/quote]
This surprises me, because I think your version is far superior. The UK version has too much of a...hmm. A non-chromey feel. And as I've said before, without chrome, this game is complete crap as a TV show.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

NickS

« Reply #33 on: September 21, 2006, 11:34:37 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'132360\' date=\'Sep 21 2006, 10:04 PM\']
This surprises me, because I think your version is far superior. The UK version has too much of a...hmm. A non-chromey feel. And as I've said before, without chrome, this game is complete crap as a TV show.
[/quote]

I think what helps the show is a lower top prize.  YES -- LOWER THE BUDGET OMGBBQWTF!!!1!1!

I could watch DoND AUS/UK daily with no problem... but I can understand the comments in the thread.  Nothing against the models, but AUS is done at such a well pace and UK is casted/played well that it's fun to tune in to see if someone can win.

I still like NBC's Deal but I'm very curious to see how they cast/format the syndie version.

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
« Reply #34 on: September 21, 2006, 11:53:54 PM »
I have seen two and a half episodes of the UK Deal. It's only the second incarnation of the show I've viewed, but I like it better than ours. However, I thought after those episode that this incredible ramping of drama by Noel/the show couldn't possibly hold up for **6** days a week, all year.

To any regular viewers, either across the pond or here via Torrent, what's your impression in that regard?

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

jalman

« Reply #35 on: September 22, 2006, 12:38:25 AM »
[quote name=\'JasonA1\' post=\'132364\' date=\'Sep 21 2006, 11:53 PM\']
However, I thought after those episode that this incredible ramping of drama by Noel/the show couldn't possibly hold up for **6** days a week, all year.
[/quote]
The thing about UK Deal is that the drama it presents varies more than our version: compare the can-you-top-this mentality here against the highs and lows on the UK version.  Witness the anti-drama, for lack of a better phrase, of contestants wanting to "earn" their way into 1p club or one of the lower prizes, as one recent contestant demonstrated (i.e. Emi's desire to win 50p is spoiled by winning 10 GBP).

Noel does a good job convincing me, the viewer, of seeing the shallow format as an actual game the contestant is playing and everybody on stage has their part to play.  I also like that the dealer seems more omnipresent.  For example, any comment from the boxholder/contestant can affect offers or even the banker's temperament.

The only gimmickry I notice on UK Deal comes from Noel himself (e.g. pulling out lucky hats, writing on contestant's hands, or just being hyper).  Even when his antics ensue the show still retains a sense of normalcy instead of degenerating into a circus.

J.R.

« Reply #36 on: September 22, 2006, 03:15:46 AM »
I still find DoND thrilling. Sure the game isn't much and a high majority of the contestants are annoying, but the suspense of the show can be incredible. Plus, Howie is still a pretty darn good host.

Having said all this, I'm sure I will be insulted, flamed and called names because I do not share the opinion of the majority. (EDIT: I'm being sarcastic with that)

-Joe R.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2006, 03:40:22 AM by JRaygor »
-Joe Raygor

jdhernandez

« Reply #37 on: September 22, 2006, 03:29:55 AM »
All I will say is this...

DonD is thrilling.... in the first three minutes of the show when the models bring down those suitcases. ;-D

OH YEAH!!
-Jason Hernandez; aka "Dimples"

Tomarken: "...somebody else could do this job!"

Rod Roddy: "Yes, I'm afraid that's true."

~Rod making a joke after Peter complains that it's Labor Day and he shouldn't be working on Press Your Luck.

Brig Bother

« Reply #38 on: September 22, 2006, 06:46:18 AM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'132360\' date=\'Sep 22 2006, 04:04 AM\']
[/quote]

But the UK one very much markets itself as an anti-game, placing a lot more emphasis on the personalities and interplay of the contestants and the Banker (who is properly funny), most of which you'll have seen every day waiting in the wings for their go for the best part of a month. Thusly when it's their turn to play, it feels much more important - they've each had to invest time and emotion on the way to the chair, just as you have as a viewer.

The money ladder has always stayed the same, but on special occasions they have the contestants dress up, and they sometimes increase the possible prizes for the home viewer telephone game.

This all being said... I'm in love with the French version, which is essentially the UK show but with comedy sound effects and Vangelis.

Don Howard

« Reply #39 on: September 22, 2006, 07:51:48 AM »
[quote name=\'jdhernandez\' post=\'132371\' date=\'Sep 22 2006, 03:29 AM\']
All I will say is this...

DonD is thrilling.... in the first three minutes of the show when the models bring down those suitcases. ;-D

OH YEAH!!
[/quote]
And from what I understand, when seeing the show in person, that process happens over and over and over again, thereby adding to the 'gasm.

GS Warehouse

« Reply #40 on: September 22, 2006, 02:17:06 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'132336\' date=\'Sep 21 2006, 05:21 PM\']... is THAT a shame, because I absolutely LOVED Studio 60. Hit me right in the place that was vacated when West Wing finished up, and it's about the TV business, which always rules.[/quote]Two more words: Amanda Peet.

[quote name=\'JRaygor\' post=\'132350\' date=\'Sep 21 2006, 08:24 PM\']I loved "Studio 60" too! That rant Judd Hirsch gave at the start of the show was BRILLIANT, it sold me right away![/quote]Network executives might want to take note, because Hirsch's words were more fact than than fiction!

If you think Monday was a big drop-off, here's how the dust settled after that big three-way car crash that was the 9:00 hour last night, as reported by Zap2it:
Grey's Anatomy (ABC): 15.7/23
CSI: Original Recipe (CBS): 13.5/20
Deal or No Deal (NBC): 6.5/10
Looks like CSI jumped the shark by casting Danny Bonaduce as a corpse.  (It's a two-parter, so we'll see him alive next week.)
« Last Edit: September 22, 2006, 02:18:13 PM by GS Warehouse »

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #41 on: September 22, 2006, 02:21:06 PM »
[quote name=\'GS Warehouse\' post=\'132386\' date=\'Sep 22 2006, 11:17 AM\']
Two more words: Amanda Peet.
[/quote]
I'd hit it with the force of an angry god. :)
CSI: Original Recipe
I lol'd.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Clay Zambo

« Reply #42 on: September 22, 2006, 02:30:06 PM »
[quote name=\'Brig Bother\' post=\'132372\' date=\'Sep 22 2006, 06:46 AM\']
This all being said... I'm in love with the French version, which is essentially the UK show but with comedy sound effects and Vangelis.
[/quote]

Because nothing says "comedy sound effects" like Vangelis... ;)
czambo@mac.com

Clay Zambo

« Reply #43 on: September 22, 2006, 02:33:21 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'132360\' date=\'Sep 21 2006, 11:04 PM\']
The UK version has too much of a...hmm. A non-chromey feel. And as I've said before, without chrome, this game is complete crap as a TV show.
[/quote]

You know, I think that may be one of the things I like best about it.  It seems to me proof that cardboard can be as exciting as *!titanium!* *!briefcases!* *!held!* *!by!* *!models!*.

In the same way that "What's My Line?" never needed dressing up.  Though WML is, of course, the far superior *game*.

But, y'know, t'each his own.
czambo@mac.com

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
« Reply #44 on: September 22, 2006, 02:34:51 PM »
[quote name=\'JRaygor\' post=\'132369\' date=\'Sep 22 2006, 02:15 AM\']
I still find DoND thrilling. Sure the game isn't much and a high majority of the contestants are annoying, but the suspense of the show can be incredible. Plus, Howie is still a pretty darn good host.
[/quote]
Since I had rated DoND as #25 on my list, I guess people would infer from that that I find it thrilling, or still find it thrilling.  I do like the show, and Howie has demonstrated that he's more than capable of handling the format.  But to say it "thrills" me would be overstating it, I think.

/Oh yeah, the other 52 reasons to watch.  Slipped my mind.  Briefly.

Doug
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)