Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Does DOND Still Thrill You?  (Read 20127 times)

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Does DOND Still Thrill You?
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2006, 12:03:13 AM »
[quote name=\'Thad Dixon\' post=\'132251\' date=\'Sep 20 2006, 07:46 PM\']
For me, the novelty has not worn off one bit.
[/quote]
If you're surprised, raise your hand.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2006, 12:05:45 AM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'132264\' date=\'Sep 20 2006, 09:03 PM\'][quote name=\'Thad Dixon\' post=\'132251\' date=\'Sep 20 2006, 07:46 PM\']For me, the novelty has not worn off one bit.[/quote]
If you're surprised, raise your hand.[/quote]<puts hand down to the floor>

And to answer the question: my initial thrill level was a 1 out of 5 (it's silly to rate things on a 0-to-10 scale, since most humans can't separate that sort of thing into more than six or seven categories at most). After seeing Big-Assed Money Week, Yes You Can Have That Pony, Enjoy Your Hummer, and every other trite audience manipulating drivel stunt, that number has levelled off to zero of five. Never in my twenty-three years of watching game shows has a show so quickly and unashamedly worn out its welcome for me. And I was all set to give it a go too.

So, yeah, the "thrill" of watching people with no math skills turning down absurd amounts of money has worn off. Pardon me while I trundle over to the sink to stir up a Metamucil drink.

I'll stick to Andrew, Emma the Money Lady and the Australian Deal, thanks.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2006, 12:10:25 AM by TLEberle »
Travis L. Eberle

MTCesquire

« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2006, 03:21:04 AM »
In the beginning, when DoND was presented to us as simply a big-money game show and nothing more, I loved it.  When it came back, the thrill quickly went away.  It's like NBC is scared to admit that it's a game show, so they throw in all this other crap like family reunions, military husbands via satellite, ponies (I actually missed that one, thank God) and Celine f***in' Dion hoping that people don't go "oh my God, this is a GAME SHOW I'm watching!  Screw this!" and change the channel.  Not to mention the contestants upstaging Howie more often than not is beyond annoying.

P.S.- In that one episode, when Howie said "this is Deal or No Deal, where dreams come true!", I almost swore the show off forever.

Craig Karlberg

« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2006, 04:32:52 AM »
Last December when it first debuted, I was tickled to death to see DoND when it was very simple without all the cheesiness.  Now, it seems to me it's turned into an instant party-;like atmospkere since February.  Even though I'm still a bit thrilled to see this show, it's not as much as before.  When someone finally hits the Big One, it'll go down to the point of mediocrity & monotony.  Untill then, I'll enjoy it while it lasts.

KrisW73

« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2006, 07:17:47 AM »
No, it does not thrill me anymore.   The "Mo' Money" syndrome is making it unwatchable, two records fall in two nights, with a potential for a third new record if the six million dollar person isn't braindead and plays it right removes all the fun for me.  Kill the gimmicks, play it more like the UK version- thats what Id like to see.

The thrill is gone.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2006, 07:18:20 AM by KrisW73 »

mcsittel

« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2006, 07:37:59 AM »
Personally, the show is still entertaining, but it feels like the end of a fireworks show... with the 4 shows this week and the escalating top prizes, I ask myself: "How will they top THIS?"  Will it be a letdown when $1 mil is the top prize again?

It will be interesting to see the ratings for this first week-can they recpature the audience?  And will they insist on dropping in extra shows to saturate their schedule?  Hopefully not-I'd love to see what happens with a once-a-week schedule, and how long it would last...

One thing that bothers me: these mind-numbing values the banker offers seem to have little effect on the contestants.  On an average game show, like TPIR, the mere announcement of "Plinko for $50,000" elicits more real emotion than these contestants who come to expect they'll get 6 digit offers and an offer of a *mere* $50,000, as much as it is for the average American, is nothing in this environment.  I'd like to see a little more 'realism'-if these people stop and think for a minute, $50,000 is still a LOT of money-not something to immediately shout "NO DEAL" and move on.  If they're indifferent over that amount of money, will we as viewers soon follow suit?

Matt

Don Howard

« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2006, 08:23:35 AM »
No. Give me a $1,000,000 Chance Of A Lifetime rerun anytime.

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2006, 09:14:57 AM »
$50,000 is still a LOT of money-not something to immediately shout "NO DEAL" and move on.

Far be it from me to defend them, but it's the same principle found when $1,000 in TPIR's "Pass the Buck" is an immediate reason to go on, but $1,000 on the Punchboard makes contestants think a bit. $50,000 is a holy grail on "Price," but on "Deal" it's not much. I'd love $22,000, but I know if I'm a DoND contestant, that figure is one I'd find among the first two or so offers; one that is diddly compared to what I should see up the road.

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

Ian Wallis

« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2006, 09:19:58 AM »
Personally, the show is still entertaining, but it feels like the end of a fireworks show... with the 4 shows this week and the escalating top prizes, I ask myself: "How will they top THIS?" Will it be a letdown when $1 mil is the top prize again?

That's what I was thinking.  Once they return to the regular episodes it will seem like a letdown.

For me, I think the novelty has worn off.  Seeing them hand out these outrageous sums two nights in a row, just because it's premiere week and they have to offer millions of dollars, is a bit much.  There has been talk on this forum that the board is too top-heavy.  Couldn't be more true this week!
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

Robert Hutchinson

« Reply #24 on: September 21, 2006, 05:39:49 PM »
I have felt no compulsion to watch this week. I never really grew to HATE the show: I actually appreciated some of the unique offers they had last season, and I can get a certain amount of joy even out of mumbling "don't quit, you moron, you have three huge amounts left". What tipped the scales negatively, for me, were the irritating contestants and families (they weren't all irritating, but a lot were), and above all, how Freakin'(tm) SLOW the show moved. Producers, how can you expect me to enjoy Howie's stalling tactics when they so rapidly became nothing *more* than that?
Visit my CB radio at www.twitter.com/ertchin

uncamark

« Reply #25 on: September 21, 2006, 05:54:26 PM »
The thrill is going, no doubt.  Things are getting just a little too predictable (although Matty, as obnoxious as he was, was still an attracting influence on Monday night).

Of course, the bad thing is that as much as we can legitimately complain, the show is still the only thing NBC has going for it other than football.  Tuesday night can be brushed off as going against "Dancing" and the fact that "Studio 60"'s audience dropped off as it went on from "DOND"'s heights are pretty much clues that NBC's going to have Snot Bomb do the show pretty much as he's been doing it.

And since the Jill Hennessy and Nikki Cox shows don't start until Oct. 20, it looks like we're getting another month of Friday night "DOND."

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #26 on: September 21, 2006, 06:21:47 PM »
[quote name=\'Robert Hutchinson\' post=\'132327\' date=\'Sep 21 2006, 02:39 PM\']
I never really grew to HATE the show
[/quote]
Let me qualify and say I don't _hate_ the show, either, because honestly that requires some emotional investment. I simply don't care about it and have no great urge to be in front of my TV at 8:00P on nights when it's on. If I'm there and there's nothing else on, sure, because it's still a game show and that beats a repeat of Emeril I've already seen six times. But I'm sure not planning my night around it.
[quote name=\'uncamark\' post=\'132331\' date=\'Sep 21 2006, 02:54 PM\']
and the fact that "Studio 60"'s audience dropped off as it went on from "DOND"'s heights
[/quote]
And man, is THAT a shame, because I absolutely LOVED Studio 60. Hit me right in the place that was vacated when West Wing finished up, and it's about the TV business, which always rules.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #27 on: September 21, 2006, 06:53:05 PM »
This thread brings up a problem I had never considered before: predictability. The show is so devoid of gamesmanship that it is becoming predictable.

Speaking of predictions, I still say that if it makes it to 2008 it won't make it very far.

We have compared this show to Treasure Hunt many times. You can't fault Treasure Hunt for being predictable. What kept Treasure Hunt and LMAD going for so many years was the element of surprise.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2006, 06:53:49 PM by chris319 »

tvwxman

« Reply #28 on: September 21, 2006, 07:03:56 PM »
i'm grateful for DoND for one reason and one reason only : it's opened up dumbass executive minds that up until December 2005 thought that no one would watch a prime time game show. There's more on the horizon now for one reason : Howie and the girls. And for that, I say, thank you endemol. Doesn't mean i'm going to watch though.

[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'132336\' date=\'Sep 21 2006, 06:21 PM\']
[quote name=\'uncamark\' post=\'132331\' date=\'Sep 21 2006, 02:54 PM\']
and the fact that "Studio 60"'s audience dropped off as it went on from "DOND"'s heights
[/quote]
And man, is THAT a shame, because I absolutely LOVED Studio 60. Hit me right in the place that was vacated when West Wing finished up, and it's about the TV business, which always rules.
[/quote]

Why do I like Studio 60? It's the best of his two previous shows : West Wing and Sports Night.
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

J.R.

« Reply #29 on: September 21, 2006, 08:24:35 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'132336\' date=\'Sep 21 2006, 05:21 PM\']
is THAT a shame, because I absolutely LOVED Studio 60. Hit me right in the place that was vacated when West Wing finished up, and it's about the TV business, which always rules.
[/quote]

I loved "Studio 60" too! That rant Judd Hirsch gave at the start of the show was BRILLIANT, it sold me right away!

-Joe R.

/We're eating worms for money!
-Joe Raygor