Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Does DOND Still Thrill You?  (Read 20092 times)

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
Does DOND Still Thrill You?
« on: September 20, 2006, 06:43:11 PM »
Does DOND still thrill you? Is the novelty wearing off or is it just as exciting for you as day one?

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2006, 06:45:07 PM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' post=\'132218\' date=\'Sep 20 2006, 03:43 PM\']
Does DOND still thrill you? Is the novelty wearing off or is it just as exciting for you as day one?
[/quote]
Not just wearing, flat-out worn. But I think I've made that pretty clear. :)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2006, 06:49:15 PM »
I flipped by the premiere on Monday. Basically confirmed why I haven't watched it since episode 4, 12/05.

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

DjohnsonCB

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2006, 07:04:50 PM »
At least--unlike WWTBAM--there is the extra enticement of the home game where anyone who plays has a chance of winning.  BTW, I missed the name of the home game winner for 9/19.  Is it up on the official site yet?
"Disconnect her buzzer...disconnect EVERYONE'S buzzer!"

--Alex Trebel

MSTieScott

• Executive Producer
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2006, 07:29:59 PM »
It hasn't thrilled me since I came to the realization that nobody, not even a Deal or No Deal contestant, will gamble the kind of money offered on that show for a chance to win it all.

But since there are very few prime time shows that I care about, I still will usually turn it on for background noise while I do something else. It certainly doesn't take a large portion of my attention to follow what's going on.

--
Scott Robinson

TonicBH

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2006, 08:19:18 PM »
Kind of, but not really. It's a few faults of the presentation and format is what kills the series. I know something is wrong when I prefer Edmonds and O'Keefe's versions to Mandel's.

I swear, sometimes it appears to be "This is Your Life" with a game element attached to it.
You Found a Secret Area: The place where I write about dumb game show and video game stuff occasionally.

narzo

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2006, 08:35:45 PM »
The US version could be canceled tomorrow and my life wouldn't be affected one bit for reasons I mentioned in another thread, hack useless bits, annoying/obnoxious contestants, etc.  I've mentioned it all before.

That said, I've seen several episodes of the UK format and love it.  As has been discussed elsewhere, since the contestants are on for quite a while you get to know them and they don't have to "cast" the contestants as much as they do on the US version.  If that's how they work the syndi version next year, I'll check it out.

-edit- I guess I didn't really answer the question asked.  Does it STILL thrill me?  Assuming my "level of thrill" is the same as it was first season, the honest answer would be "yes, it thrills me to the same degree".
« Last Edit: September 20, 2006, 10:30:53 PM by narzo »

BrandonFG

« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2006, 09:54:46 PM »
When it debuted in December, I enjoyed it. Not so much because it was a new game show. Not so much because of the luster, but because it had a natural feel to it. The contestants and audience were happy to be there, but they weren't over-the-top obnoxious. When it returned in February or March, we got church choirs, cheerleading chants, and it became a game show, circus, concert, and "This is Your Life" all rolled into one. It literally became a dog-and-pony show. I've said it a few times, but Howie only needs to say a few words to the family section, then shut them up, esp. the kids.

If the syndie version is the way that the December preview week was, I'll watch. If it looks like it's produced by Barnum and Bailey, I'll pass.

Treasure Hunt was fun because it was meant to be cheesy. D/ND wants to have all this cheesy action, but take itself seriously at the same time.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Joe Mello

• has hit the time release button
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2006, 10:20:09 PM »
I think I may have a differing opinion because I don't watch Deal all that much because of other commitments.  Therefore, there's still something interesting in the game, especially if you play Armchair Banker.  I still think games are more open-ended than, say, Millionaire, so that could always provide for a good time.

It was a nice complement to Viking, though, when it was concurrently running on ESPN.
This signature is currently under construction.

Fedya

« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2006, 10:36:42 PM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' post=\'132218\' date=\'Sep 20 2006, 06:43 PM\']
[/quote]
It's just as exciting for me today as it was on day one.  Zero excitement then, zero excitement now.
-- Ted Schuerzinger, now blogging at http://justacineast.blogspot.com/

No Fark slashes were harmed in the making of this post

Thad Dixon

« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2006, 10:46:47 PM »
For me, the novelty has not worn off one bit.

cweaver

« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2006, 11:00:07 PM »
To me it's a thrill, but not a good kind of thrill.  The suspense is rather painful and the resolution is almost always a letdown or at best a relief, not a happy culmination (like Joe Trela winning on Millionaire). Kind of like when I was a kid, I loved rollercoasters...weeeeeeeee!  But if I were to ride one and end up heaving my guts out, and spending the rest of the day in bed tanked up on Pepto-Bismol, chances are I'm not going to want to jump right back on that rollercoaster.  I mean, what am I getting out of it.  

The only reason I've been taping it this week is because the promos implied (correctly, it turns out) that show records would be broken.  A network history record was actually broken Tuesday night by Kimberly.  I adored Kimberly but have to admit some of the other contestants have been a bit grating.

Having said that...the church choirs, etc. (and tomorrow, that football team) actually, to me, add to the show.  I would like to see a little less of the family though, and when Howie starts manipulating spouses...excuse me, I'm going to be sick.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2006, 11:02:35 PM by cweaver »

Clay Zambo

« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2006, 11:28:34 PM »
When I realized that a player had to work really, really hard to walk out with less than a five-digit payout, it was over for me.

And, sadly, I think that was during episode 3.
czambo@mac.com

Steve Gavazzi

« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2006, 11:30:33 PM »
Based on what I saw of Monday's show, the answer for me is "yes, when they're actually airing gameplay."  Unfortunately, though, that's not what's on the air during the vast majority of any given broadcast.

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2006, 11:51:47 PM »
As I've said a few times...DOND never has excited me.  Never will.
--Mark
Phil 4:13