Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Why This ABC Password Survived  (Read 14565 times)

TwoInchQuad

Why This ABC Password Survived
« Reply #30 on: September 13, 2006, 01:35:19 AM »
1) Not according to the description of the contents of the rest of the tape.

2)Not sure about this, although Peter Bogdanovich had a company called Saticoy Productions that was out in the Valley at one point-- maybe this was an asset that got mis-labeled as one of theirs while it was housed in a storage area.  In any event, it's a B&W 2" dub of that particular ep.

-Kevin

snowpeck

« Reply #31 on: September 13, 2006, 01:59:47 AM »
[quote name=\'Allstar87\' post=\'131226\' date=\'Sep 12 2006, 01:32 AM\']
He said something to Jack along the lines of "Is Brett a better game player than Tony Randall?" That episode of Odd Couple aired on Dec. 1, 1971...just a week before.
[/quote]

Actually that episode aired on December 1, 1972. So that throws that theory out completely.

Greg
Co-owner, The Daytime TV Schedule Archive
My website: http://www.gregbrobeck.net
My board game collection: http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/snowpeck (recently passed the 100 mark!)

Eric Paddon

« Reply #32 on: September 13, 2006, 02:26:26 AM »
[quote name=\'TwoInchQuad\' post=\'131315\' date=\'Sep 12 2006, 09:26 PM\']
Nice to see you back, by the way, Eric...  :^)

-Kevin
[/quote]

Thanks.   Nice to be back. :)

Eric

mmb5

« Reply #33 on: September 13, 2006, 07:41:57 AM »
[quote name=\'snowpeck\' post=\'131349\' date=\'Sep 13 2006, 01:59 AM\']
He said something to Jack along the lines of "Is Brett a better game player than Tony Randall?" That episode of Odd Couple aired on Dec. 1, 1971...just a week before.
[/quote]
Actually that episode aired on December 1, 1972. So that throws that theory out completely.
[/quote]
However, the episode of Odd Couple that aired the week of this Password episode was Brett Somers' first apperance as Blanche.

--Mike
Portions of this post not affecting the outcome have been edited or recreated.

Ian Wallis

« Reply #34 on: September 13, 2006, 09:02:57 AM »
Naturally, the question that raises is how the other three from that era have made their way into collectors' hands. That's awfully early for them to have been home recorded, so you almost have to think that decent "master" copies must exist somewhere. I wonder why Fremantle (and Goodson before that) doesn't have them.

It's been rumoured that masters of Password were used to record other shows (whether this is true or not, who knows).  When a show was originally taped, wasn't there more than one master copy?  Is it possible Goodson was re-using tapes with the assumption ABC was keeping at least one copy archived, and didn't know that they weren't being saved?

There are always scattered copies of shows that escape distruction.  Series like Jackpot, Gambit, and more recently Blank Check have at least one episode existing.

The "Password" & "Split Second" finales (which aired back-to-back) were indeed archived by a local station (for whatever reason), so they're aircheck recordings. Commercials included for those.

Unfortunatly my copies have commercials edited out - but they do have the "It's a brand new day on ABC" promos, which are cool.  
If this was an aircheck, I think we have the answer why GSN squeezed the credits.  Obviously there was an announcer announcing upcoming shows - but that never stopped them previously.  On the end of almost every CBS show from the '70s the announcer said "stay tuned for....next" - and they left those in.
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

Allstar87

« Reply #35 on: September 13, 2006, 11:22:23 AM »
[quote name=\'snowpeck\' post=\'131349\' date=\'Sep 13 2006, 01:59 AM\']
[/quote]

Greg
[/quote]

Oh, darn.  That's what I get for not doing enough fact-checking.

Sorry 'bout that.

cweaver

« Reply #36 on: September 13, 2006, 01:54:47 PM »
[quote name=\'Ian Wallis\' post=\'131359\' date=\'Sep 13 2006, 08:02 AM\']
If this was an aircheck, I think we have the answer why GSN squeezed the credits.  Obviously there was an announcer announcing upcoming shows - but that never stopped them previously.  On the end of almost every CBS show from the '70s the announcer said "stay tuned for....next" - and they left those in.
[/quote]

I mentioned in another post I thought the way the audio sounded suggested this was a network feed of some type, because that's how network feeds sounded pre-1978.  I also suggested (though possibly not in this detail) if GSN hadn't squeezed the credits we might not only hear the show's announcer telling us what's up next, we might even hear the ABC announcer promo the prime time offerings.  Since this was a Tuesday show, my money's on Marcus Welby.

Eric Paddon

« Reply #37 on: September 13, 2006, 03:09:59 PM »
The difference though is that on the CBS game shows you were hearing the announcer, be it Johnny Olson on TPIR or Match Game making the announcement of what came next, and it wasn't some voiceover staff announcer doing it over the credits after the fact.

uncamark

« Reply #38 on: September 13, 2006, 05:09:30 PM »
In television, you should always have more than one tape machine recording, just in case something happens to one of the machines.

And I could imagine that if a show was shot in LA, two tapes of the show were always sent east to New York for their feed and vice versa.  The only time the Eastern and Central time zones (and the Mountain, until the mid-70s) got a direct feed from LA was either for a live show or a live-on-tape show like Carson, which aired in the Eastern and Central time zones 90 minutes after taping was normally completed.

Cullenfields

« Reply #39 on: September 17, 2006, 11:07:59 PM »
I wanted to put in my two cents about which episode it is (71 or 73)

I believe that it is the episode from 1971. The reason being that I listened to the lightning rounds on the Elizabeth Mongomery website (which by the way is a 1973 episode a little while before Jack and Brett appear together) and also examined the celebrity archives for that time. If you listen carefully, the amounts were $100 per word (in the inital stage). In the GSN episode, the amounts were only $50/per word.

What do you think?

Cullenfields

cweaver

« Reply #40 on: September 18, 2006, 05:03:27 PM »
[quote name=\'Cullenfields\' post=\'131882\' date=\'Sep 17 2006, 10:07 PM\']
I believe that it is the episode from 1971...What do you think?
[/quote]

I think most of us have settled on this being from December 1971.  The two most compelling pieces of evidence I've seen: an episode guide listing that date as their first appearance, and Bret appeared on The Odd Couple right about that time.

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #41 on: September 18, 2006, 05:10:42 PM »
[quote name=\'cweaver\' post=\'131994\' date=\'Sep 18 2006, 05:03 PM\']I think most of us have settled on this being from December 1971.  The two most compelling pieces of evidence I've seen: an episode guide listing that date as their first appearance, and Bret appeared on The Odd Couple right about that time.[/quote]
Plus there's, you know, the guy from GSN telling us it's from 1971!
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

cweaver

« Reply #42 on: September 18, 2006, 05:19:10 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'131998\' date=\'Sep 18 2006, 04:10 PM\']
Plus there's, you know, the guy from GSN telling us it's from 1971!
[/quote]

I know but there are a lot of people who wouldn't believe GSN if they told us the sky is blue, the grass is green, water is wet and we need air to survive.  Not necessarily me mind you...

Terry K

« Reply #43 on: September 28, 2006, 01:03:56 PM »
I suspect there are at least 2 if not 3 copies made at the time of production.  

First of all, you can't risk the tape being mangled on its way to NYC, however...

Before the era of satellite, shows were fed via phone lines to the stations via the network, as well as the cycling of tapes to Hawaii and Alaska, not to mention international markets.

I do recall from having seen the galaxy of CBS feeds (I don't know about ABC or NBC at the time), they do have a seperate Master Control at TV City.  

For cost reasons alone (the phone lines from NYC to LA were not ovelry cost effective in the early 70s), I could guess that LA had its own master control that some network shows were fed from.  There may have been a path from NYC -> LA and vice versa but I can bet that the affiliates on the Pacific Zone were fed from LA.

Ian Wallis

« Reply #44 on: September 28, 2006, 04:11:05 PM »
I suspect there are at least 2 if not 3 copies made at the time of production.

First of all, you can't risk the tape being mangled on its way to NYC, however...

Before the era of satellite, shows were fed via phone lines to the stations via the network, as well as the cycling of tapes to Hawaii and Alaska, not to mention international markets.

I'm pretty sure there was more than one copy made too.  There were also additional copies made by some TV stations that delayed the show and aired it at another time.  In reading old TVGuides and seeing these listings, the thought has occurred to me that maybe a few of these missing shows could be at these stations; but you also have to consider that it's very unlikely any station in Alaska, Hawaii, or that tape-delayed the shows would hold onto the tape this long - unless it's totally by accident that a copy of a specific show or two might have survived "in the backroom somewhere".

I believe this is how a week of $20,000 Pyramid from 1977 with William Shatner and Leonard Nimoy exists in traders hands; but it's still the exception rather than the rule.
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!