Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Why This ABC Password Survived  (Read 14583 times)

mmb5

Why This ABC Password Survived
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2006, 08:49:13 AM »
[quote name=\'cweaver\' post=\'131243\' date=\'Sep 12 2006, 08:29 AM\']
Have we figured out a day of the week yet?  It's apparently not Monday as they've already played at least once, and it's apparently not Friday as they told us to tune in tomorrow.  I'm leaning toward Wednesday?
[/quote]
Allen's first words were "Happy Tuesday" to you.

For those of you who have the original (and you know who you are), could you watch the credits for us, tell us "what was coming up next", and get this over with.

--Mike
Portions of this post not affecting the outcome have been edited or recreated.

mmb5

« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2006, 08:50:45 AM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'131217\' date=\'Sep 12 2006, 12:25 AM\']
I'm being told by someone inside GSN that the episode comes from 1971 and was dubbed from the 2" air master.  What does that do to the theories?

October 23rd would have been several months into the run of Match Game '73 and Brett became a regular pretty early on.  Was ANY mention made of Match Game?
[/quote]
Then it's 12-7-71.  It was my second birthday present.

--Mike
Portions of this post not affecting the outcome have been edited or recreated.

Ian Wallis

« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2006, 08:52:23 AM »
Bingo. All the networks covered it at noon. Now we need to find the Jeopardy, WWWG and Split Second episodes that were also pre-empted.

Or the High Rollers and Hollywood Squares episodes from Aug 9, 1974!
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

Ian Wallis

« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2006, 04:18:09 PM »
I'm being told by someone inside GSN that the episode comes from 1971 and was dubbed from the 2" air master. What does that do to the theories?

I think this is an episode that GSN has had all along.  When I got my letter from David Schwartz in 1996, which I've mentioned here several times in the past, he answered some questions about the status of certain shows.  His response on the ABC Password: "only one 1971 episode has been found".  Unless another one has turned up, it makes sense that this is from '71 and is THE episode.

Keep in mind, TV Guide back issues from back then are notoriously unreliable for game show celebrity listings. Newspapers are actually more reliable. I found that out the hard way when I started compiling my Hollywood Squares celebrity list. TV Guide needed more publication lead time than the newspapers, so it was more likely a guest would cancel after they went to press.

That's true, but I guess it depends on when the show was taped.  I was surprised when the Battlestars episodes I saw in 1983 aired the very next week.  TVGuide listed only four of the six celebrities, but one of them wasn't on the panel.  For shows like Match Game, which usually taped several weeks in advance, there usually wasn't a problem.

It's interesting that TVGuide sometimes listed the celebrities as "Scheduled: " and sometimes not.  I always thought it could mean those shows were due to be taped after they went to press.
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2006, 04:34:31 PM »
[quote name=\'Ian Wallis\' post=\'131280\' date=\'Sep 12 2006, 04:18 PM\']I think this is an episode that GSN has had all along.  When I got my letter from David Schwartz in 1996, which I've mentioned here several times in the past, he answered some questions about the status of certain shows.  His response on the ABC Password: "only one 1971 episode has been found".  Unless another one has turned up, it makes sense that this is from '71 and is THE episode.[/quote]
Naturally, the question that raises is how the other three from that era have made their way into collectors' hands.  That's awfully early for them to have been home recorded, so you almost have to think that decent "master" copies must exist somewhere.  I wonder why Fremantle (and Goodson before that) doesn't have them.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

golden-road

« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2006, 05:37:01 PM »
In watching this episode, I noticed that Allen gave a total for the champion of $700. After winning $400 in the betting word, the total was announced as $1100, with no mention of money for a game win (compared to the $100/$250 in the CBS run). Did they stop doing that, or was it used at some point?

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2006, 05:40:53 PM »
This is pure conjecture, but as far as the final ABC Password is concerned (or the final ep of anything) would it be possible that a local station who delayed the broadcast might have used a fresh tape for the replacement program and thus put the last Password quad tape on a shelf somewhere?
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

Eric Paddon

« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2006, 05:41:27 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'131283\' date=\'Sep 12 2006, 04:34 PM\']
Naturally, the question that raises is how the other three from that era have made their way into collectors' hands.  That's awfully early for them to have been home recorded, so you almost have to think that decent "master" copies must exist somewhere.  I wonder why Fremantle (and Goodson before that) doesn't have them.
[/quote]

When you speak of the other three, you refer to the three that have been on the trade circuit for a while?   The last show, along with the last Split Second from the same day as well as the last All-Stars always had the look of primitive off-air recordings to me, perhaps on someone using a U-matic but given how they had a KABC logo, they were not from the vault.

That would leave us to wonder where the heck the 75 show with Vicki Lawrence and Betty White came from.

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2006, 06:02:10 PM »
Without the tape in front of me mind you - I recall the Lawrence/White ep. behaving like a studio master. Other than Mark Goodson making a cameo, I have no other guess as to why it would've been spared.

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

Eric Paddon

« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2006, 06:06:10 PM »
I do know it has no commercials inserted in the segments where they would appear.   Just a black screen during those segments.

TwoInchQuad

« Reply #25 on: September 12, 2006, 08:15:03 PM »
The 3/75 Lawrence/White "Password" show is from a studio master.  No idea why it was saved, and no commercials included on the reel.

The "Password" & "Split Second" finales (which aired back-to-back) were indeed archived by a local station (for whatever reason), so they're aircheck recordings.  Commercials included for those.

The two known orange set "Passwords" (TX dates: 12/7/71 and 2/14/72) are also both airchecks, commercials are on the reels.

Never seen the Password All-Stars ep that's floating around, so I can't comment on that.

-Kevin

Eric Paddon

« Reply #26 on: September 12, 2006, 09:00:06 PM »
There are commercials in the last Password All-Stars.    I can recheck to see if it had a KABC aircheck like the last show and last Split Second did.

TwoInchQuad

« Reply #27 on: September 12, 2006, 09:26:51 PM »
Nice to see you back, by the way, Eric...  :^)

-Kevin

rebelwrest

« Reply #28 on: September 12, 2006, 11:53:34 PM »
My VCR did not record that night, so I did not get to see it.

Until now.

70s Password
My favorite Win Ben Stein's Money Category:

Where Am I Doc? Urinalysis Restaurant.

RMF

« Reply #29 on: September 13, 2006, 01:07:41 AM »
[quote name=\'TwoInchQuad\' post=\'131310\' date=\'Sep 12 2006, 07:15 PM\']
The "Password" & "Split Second" finales (which aired back-to-back) were indeed archived by a local station (for whatever reason), so they're aircheck recordings.  Commercials included for those.
[/quote]

Two questions, then, one a slight hijack, the other a bit more on-topic:

1) Is the material that UCLA has of the Split Second finale (located here) the origin of the circulating material?

2) The 9/28/73 episode of "Password" availible for viewing at UCLA has the word "Saticoy" (and only that word) in its notes. Is there any explanation to its origins that that word denotes?