Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Game Shows in HD: First opinions  (Read 12305 times)

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
Game Shows in HD: First opinions
« Reply #30 on: September 12, 2006, 12:32:39 PM »
AFAIK, the contestants have the cumulative scores at their disposal all the time in the used puzzle board area. As a home viewer, I don't really need an update mid-round. I know it's soooo hard to follow when you wait a staggering couple of minutes between cumulative score updates. As you said, the totals are only really important in the second half of the game (i.e. post $3,000 toss-up) and at that point, it usually goes to speed-up right after we just got a rundown on the scores in the previous segment. Not an addition I like.

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

Steve McClellan

« Reply #31 on: September 12, 2006, 01:58:19 PM »
[quote name=\'JasonA1\' date=\'Sep 12 2006, 12:32 PM\'] AFAIK, the contestants have the cumulative scores at their disposal all the time in the used puzzle board area.[/quote]
Not in the same area as the unused letter board, but yes, such a display is available to the contestants, near the administration table. It includes whose turn it is, any prizes won, current round score, and cumulative score for each player.

Ian Wallis

« Reply #32 on: September 12, 2006, 04:04:10 PM »
Is C-band used for Game-Show feeds?

Yes, and feeds of many other programs as well.  Some channels, such as ESPN and USA still feed through C-band, while a lot of others have now gone digital.

Usually over the years the game show feeds have remained pretty stable in terms of co-ordinates and times  - but this year it looks like they've all changed.
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

remlap

« Reply #33 on: September 12, 2006, 05:03:25 PM »
So C-Band in America is still analogue? Most of the C-band that is here in Europe is digitallly encoded.

Even if was popular id never be able to fit a 1.8metre dish here :-/ ah well, better for me.

Terry K

« Reply #34 on: September 12, 2006, 05:10:58 PM »
[quote name=\'mystery7\' post=\'131160\' date=\'Sep 11 2006, 08:18 PM\']
They definitely need bigger ring-in indicators. The red neon was even tough to notice on my 38" HD set.

The board graphics really disappointed me. They had an opportunity for a huge makeover of the board but they're sticking with the same fonts and cheezy backgrounds they've always had. Only now they look really cheezy.

And on a local level, no points to WABC for their sloppy master control. They had about 20 seconds of black out of the first segment with a quick fast-forward on air, and they started rewinding the tape right as the Sony logo came up at the end.
[/quote]

I was watching the WABC feeds as well and it was very obvious that they were manually switching back for the commercials.

Also, during J!, the pixelization of the clues left a bit to be desired as well..

chad1m

« Reply #35 on: September 12, 2006, 07:52:22 PM »
Wow. What a choppy edit that bonus round spin was tonight.

DjohnsonCB

« Reply #36 on: September 12, 2006, 08:03:52 PM »
[quote name=\'DrBear\' post=\'131242\' date=\'Sep 12 2006, 07:02 AM\']
A little trivia - here in Green Bay, we couldn't see J and WOF in HD even if we had the sets to do so.

The local station, WLUK, isn't showing them in HD because "we don't have the equipment to show HD tapes. We get our Fox HD stuff off the network"

And add to that the station won't let the local cable carry its digital channel because the cable won't pay (but does charge extra for its digital tier).

Gotta love cheapskate TV.
[/quote]

A year ago, the charge-for-carrying-digital snafu kept me from getting the CBS station on cable in HD, but that's been resolved.  However, I am plagued by the same other problem mentioned by Dr. Bear:  my local stations won't carry syndie shows in true HD although I could see them that way if they did.
"Disconnect her buzzer...disconnect EVERYONE'S buzzer!"

--Alex Trebel

Brandon Brooks

« Reply #37 on: September 12, 2006, 11:06:14 PM »
I still insist that WOF has some of the sharpest graphics they've ever had, including the open.  And it looks like they've gotten rid of the "No More Vowels" tag!  That music is the f'in pits, though.  I am so happy with this show in HD--a bright show like this deserves it.  J! just seems a little weird.

Question folks: is it just me, or does the screen go blurry after a graphic flashes, such is the toss ups?  I know it isn't my TV cause it's relatively new... or is it?

Joe Mello

• has hit the time release button
« Reply #38 on: September 13, 2006, 02:27:57 AM »
[quote name=\'chad1m\' post=\'131304\' date=\'Sep 12 2006, 07:52 PM\']
Wow. What a choppy edit that bonus round spin was tonight.[/quote]

That's been happening for several years now.  It is my belief that whenever Pat has to perform more than one final spin (for whatever reason), there's an edit to show the wheel landing on the dollar space for the actual final spin.  Not sure why they can't essentially do a reshoot.
This signature is currently under construction.

Blanquepage

• "Pacman cereal: it eats YOU!" - Geoff, Starcade
« Reply #39 on: September 13, 2006, 12:33:26 PM »
That music is the f'in pits, though

Totally disagree, I love the new closing theme.
I'd always liked the Kaplan composition heard for the past 6 years, but they finally took it and significantly spiced it up and made it more lively.
Does anyone happen to know who's responsible for it? John Nordstrom, maybe?

--Jamie

MSTieScott

• Executive Producer
« Reply #40 on: September 13, 2006, 04:04:42 PM »
[quote name=\'Joe Mello\' post=\'131351\' date=\'Sep 13 2006, 01:27 AM\']It is my belief that whenever Pat has to perform more than one final spin (for whatever reason), there's an edit to show the wheel landing on the dollar space for the actual final spin.  Not sure why they can't essentially do a reshoot.[/quote]
It kills me that they now have a distracting full-screen animation for the final spin, yet they don't use it to cover an edit necessitated by the final spin landing on a non-dollar amount (just have Pat start over from "That bell means time is running out...").

--
Scott Robinson

MikeK

• Martha!
« Reply #41 on: September 13, 2006, 06:02:00 PM »
[quote name=\'Joe Mello\' post=\'131351\' date=\'Sep 13 2006, 02:27 AM\']That's been happening for several years now.  It is my belief that whenever Pat has to perform more than one final spin (for whatever reason), there's an edit to show the wheel landing on the dollar space for the actual final spin.[/quote]
The bad final spins were edited out in the Ohio State Fair eps. I saw in '97, so this has been happening for a decade or longer.

Joe Mello

• has hit the time release button
« Reply #42 on: September 13, 2006, 06:29:09 PM »
Well, it's only within the past few years that I've actually been paying attention to this kind of stuff.  In high school (2-6 years ago), there were other pressing issues (namely marching band) and who knows what I was preoccupied with before then.

/Don't answer that.
//I echo Scott's sentiments.  That Final Spin graphic really should be put to better use.  Otherwise, the Feung Shuei is ruined.
///Did I spell that right?
This signature is currently under construction.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #43 on: September 13, 2006, 06:45:59 PM »
[quote name=\'Joe Mello\' post=\'131423\' date=\'Sep 13 2006, 03:29 PM\']
//I echo Scott's sentiments.  That Final Spin graphic really should be put to better use.  Otherwise, the Feung Shuei is ruined.
[/quote]
Like, topping off a scrapheap?
///Did I spell that right?
No.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

CJBojangles

« Reply #44 on: September 13, 2006, 10:47:49 PM »
Have any pics or videos surfaced on the net of the new sets (other than the ones at Sony's home pages) for those of us who are... temporarily without cable? :-/