Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Hope you enjoyed Password  (Read 14065 times)

Esoteric Eric

Hope you enjoyed Password
« Reply #30 on: September 11, 2006, 10:35:11 PM »
[quote name=\'NewJersey137\' post=\'131084\' date=\'Sep 11 2006, 11:52 AM\']Was it just the sleep talking, or did they only go down to 5 points for a word (as in 6 clues)?   And in case that was a rule, did it last into All-Stars and '75?[/quote]
Yes on both counts...
I imagine the idea was to speed up the game, rather than take an extra minute or two wrestling with clues for four points or less.  When All-Stars came about, several other changes were made:
- The goal in the main game was 50 points, and the team kept any points over 50. (ex. Team has 46, gets an eight-point word, final score 54, not 50.)  The points for both teams were divided between each celeb, and added to their aggregate scores for the week.
- In order to avoid half-points in the weekly standings, passwords were played for ten, eight, six, and four points, with one exeception...
- The team in control could opt to play for double (20 points) if the clue-giver thought he / she could get it on the first try.  A miss at 20 points gave the opposition one chance for (I think) ten points, then the word was thrown out at that point.

Esoteric Eric...  
I still enjoyed getting up at 3:00 AM on a school day just to watch Password though. :)
Better than here in Seattle, where I had to stay up after midnight, then get up at 5 AM...
Eric Smallman; "...I don't think God ever forgave me for Phyllis Newman..." - "Jimmy Carter" (Dan Aykroyd), SNL, 1976

Brandon Brooks

« Reply #31 on: September 11, 2006, 10:36:50 PM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' post=\'131138\' date=\'Sep 11 2006, 07:37 PM\']
Did you notice the man walking on the opposite side of the stage as Allen was being introduced?  
[/quote]
He was there to close the door that Jack Klugman entered through.

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #32 on: September 11, 2006, 11:36:40 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'131132\' date=\'Sep 11 2006, 08:20 PM\']Did that set REALLY need to be anywhere NEAR that big? Talk about overdoing it for a game where people didn't stray from the single desk. [/quote]
You think the SET was big!  The is the version that won the first Daytime Emmy for Outstanding Game Show in 1973, and celebrated by puting up a giNORmous cardboard cut-out of the trophy across the entire back wall!
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

MrBuddwing

« Reply #33 on: September 12, 2006, 12:00:32 AM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'131199\' date=\'Sep 11 2006, 11:36 PM\']
[You think the SET was big!  The is the version that won the first Daytime Emmy for Outstanding Game Show in 1973, and celebrated by puting up a giNORmous cardboard cut-out of the trophy across the entire back wall!
[/quote]

This version won a Daytime Emmy? You'd think the producers would have submitted a copy of at least one episode to the Academy of Television Arts and Sciences, and that the Academy would still have it.

Eric Paddon

« Reply #34 on: September 12, 2006, 12:19:19 AM »
It's quite possible the Academy has something.   In fact many of the extended clips of the Tonight Show from the 1960s that exist in original color quality are ones that had been submitted to the Emmy Awards committee.

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #35 on: September 12, 2006, 12:31:17 AM »
I'm putting this in both relevant threads.

I've been told from someone inside GSN that the episode we saw actually came from 1971 and that it was a dub of the 2" air master.

narzo

« Reply #36 on: September 12, 2006, 12:56:48 AM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'131219\' date=\'Sep 11 2006, 11:31 PM\']
I'm putting this in both relevant threads.

I've been told from someone inside GSN that the episode we saw actually came from 1971 and that it was a dub of the 2" air master.
[/quote]

http://www.geocities.com/ABCPass_CelebArchives/1971.html does list a week of shows with Jack and Brett from 1971 so it's entirely possible.  Plus that would explain why they weren't playing best 2 out of 3 which I thought they had by fall 73.

Clay Zambo

« Reply #37 on: September 12, 2006, 08:00:56 AM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'131132\' date=\'Sep 11 2006, 08:20 PM\']Did that set REALLY need to be anywhere NEAR that big? Talk about overdoing it for a game where people didn't stray from the single desk. [/quote]
You think the SET was big!  The is the version that won the first Daytime Emmy for Outstanding Game Show in 1973, and celebrated by puting up a giNORmous cardboard cut-out of the trophy across the entire back wall!
[/quote]

Oh, my, yes, I remember that huge, ugly thing.  Did it last the whole season, do you recall, or was it just, like holiday decorations, for a short while?

As for the supersized set: was this the first version of Password originating on the West Coast, where everything could (and therefore had to be) bigger?

A word of happiness about the Carol Burnett-Alan King episode that followed this one on Sunday: how lovely it was to see a shot of the studio audience, all well-dressed and sitting in a theatre like it was an occasion.  

Which it was.
czambo@mac.com

mmb5

« Reply #38 on: September 12, 2006, 08:57:01 AM »
I'm hoping this works.  If it doesn't, I can't do anything about it until 10 PM ET...

Torrent for the Episode

It's apparently now mislabeled, so deal.

--Mike
« Last Edit: September 12, 2006, 11:37:55 AM by mmb5 »
Portions of this post not affecting the outcome have been edited or recreated.

cweaver

« Reply #39 on: September 12, 2006, 09:05:51 AM »
[quote name=\'Clay Zambo\' post=\'131241\' date=\'Sep 12 2006, 07:00 AM\']
[/quote]

Oh, my, yes, I remember that huge, ugly thing.  Did it last the whole season, do you recall, or was it just, like holiday decorations, for a short while?[/quote]

I seem to recall it being taken down after a short while, perhaps about the time of some tournament.

My big regret about this ep was that it wasn't as much fun as many of the others I saw in that format back in the day.  It's almost physically painful to think we'll probably never again see those ABC weeks in which Carol Burnett and Elizabeth Montgomery appeared together, those ladies were hysterical together.

MrBuddwing

« Reply #40 on: September 12, 2006, 10:27:15 AM »
[quote name=\'cweaver\' post=\'131251\' date=\'Sep 12 2006, 09:05 AM\']
My big regret about this ep was that it wasn't as much fun as many of the others I saw in that format back in the day.  It's almost physically painful to think we'll probably never again see those ABC weeks in which Carol Burnett and Elizabeth Montgomery appeared together, those ladies were hysterical together.
[/quote]

I remember! Well, I remember one thing: Montgomery responding to a contestant's clue by saying "ass" (as in "donkey") and Burnett chortling, "Well, you said 'hell' before!" - which Montgomery did.

It's a shame ABC had abandoned its policy of routinely kinescoping its 'electronic' shows (e.g., soap operas and game shows) by the 1970s - that way, we'd still have some record of a bunch of shows that are now forever gone.

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #41 on: September 12, 2006, 10:30:23 AM »
[quote name=\'cweaver\' post=\'131251\' date=\'Sep 12 2006, 09:05 AM\']It's almost physically painful to think we'll probably never again see those ABC weeks in which Carol Burnett and Elizabeth Montgomery appeared together, those ladies were hysterical together.[/quote]
Plus it was the ABC version that established Elizabeth Montgomery's reputation for being one of the best celebrity players in the show's history.  (There's a reason they led with her when Password Plus premiered.)  I'd kill (or maybe just maim) to see the week where Allen Ludden played against Elizabeth Montgomery.  I seem to recall they even brought back past winners to be the contestants.

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #42 on: September 12, 2006, 12:28:52 PM »
There's a reason they led with her when Password Plus premiered.
Well it certainly wasn't because of Robert Foxworth.

TwoInchQuad

« Reply #43 on: September 12, 2006, 08:23:34 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'131261\' date=\'Sep 12 2006, 07:30 AM\']
Plus it was the ABC version that established Elizabeth Montgomery's reputation for being one of the best celebrity players in the show's history.  (There's a reason they led with her when Password Plus premiered.)  I'd kill (or maybe just maim) to see the week where Allen Ludden played against Elizabeth Montgomery.  I seem to recall they even brought back past winners to be the contestants.
[/quote]

Yeah, but "past-winner" or not, if it were me, I know which partner I'd rather have-- and it's not the silver-haired guy with the glasses.   :^)

Especially in a "one-loss and you leave" format--  there's no room for error!

-Kevin
« Last Edit: September 12, 2006, 08:24:13 PM by TwoInchQuad »

cweaver

« Reply #44 on: September 13, 2006, 08:37:50 AM »
Was this week of Password Brett's first game show appearance ever, or had she appeared here or elsewhere before?