Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Hope you enjoyed Password  (Read 14059 times)

KrisW73

Hope you enjoyed Password
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2006, 11:44:53 AM »
[quote name=\'ChuckNet\' post=\'131036\' date=\'Sep 11 2006, 10:47 AM\']
And as luck would have it, I forgot to set my VCR. :-( AGTOD?

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious "Chuckie Baby")
[/quote]

Sure did- contact me offboard if interested.

Kris

mmb5

« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2006, 11:54:37 AM »
I'd be willing to start a torrent seed for this if anyone can point me to a place that would be willing to host the seed info.

--Mike
Portions of this post not affecting the outcome have been edited or recreated.

mbc793

« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2006, 12:59:22 PM »
I really enjoyed the episode, too bad I miss the first minute or two of the show. I hit the wrong button and not the record button. As I watched it, it was different than the CBS version. I thought that was cool, yeah I hope to see something from the later years, but I'll take this without question.

mystery7

« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2006, 01:19:32 PM »
Veering slightly: I always thought the Pyramid shows looked like they did because of ABC's lesser-quality gear. Audio seemed OK for the shows I remember, but the video was terrible.

Chuck: I can get you a copy too if you want to deal really locally and get a dub from Super VHS.

BrandonFG

« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2006, 01:35:47 PM »
I tried to stay awake, but fell asleep halfway through--not because it was boring ;-).

For the half I saw, excellent. Great seeing this rare gem, and I like how Jack and Brett entered the stage. It would be great seeing this show revived, even with the old-school rules, maybe for a little more money. (sigh)
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Mr. Matté

« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2006, 02:52:40 PM »
Was it just the sleep talking, or did they only go down to 5 points for a word (as in 6 clues)?   And in case that was a rule, did it last into All-Stars and '75?

I still enjoyed getting up at 3:00 AM on a school day just to watch Password though. :)
« Last Edit: September 11, 2006, 02:56:58 PM by NewJersey137 »

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2006, 03:32:15 PM »
Yes on both counts - always how I played at home even before seeing/hearing about the ABC version, too.

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

narzo

« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2006, 04:11:26 PM »
[quote name=\'opimus\' post=\'131022\' date=\'Sep 11 2006, 08:35 AM\']
[quote name=\'Ian Wallis\' post=\'131015\' date=\'Sep 11 2006, 07:53 AM\']
Since I won't be able to see this episode for a few days, one question:  were the rules the same as the CBS version in that if you lost you got another chance with the other celebrity, or once you lost one game were you out?
[/quote]
You lose you're out.
[/quote]

Although in the episodes before it became "All-Stars" it did take two games to win a match and play the lightning round.  I do believe that during those shows you did change stars.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2006, 04:12:07 PM by narzo »

davemackey

« Reply #23 on: September 11, 2006, 04:12:41 PM »
Naturally, this was the first time I had seen an episode of the ABC "Password" since its original airing. Yes, I am old enough to have seen the original "Password" - and I did. I would definitely watch the 70's "Password" when on summer vacations and did like that there was enough of the original to keep me interested, and the new wrinkles like "pass or play" and "the betting word" to keep me excited.

John Harlan, who was the announcer throughout the ABC run, had a slightly different approach to reading the password than did Jack Clark, Lee Vines or any of the others who did the CBS show... he would more likely than not drop the word "is". "The password... caterpillar." And his inflections would sort of match the type of word it was... the sort of styling Harlan had given the similar reveals of the clue names on "You Don't Say!"

And it was also fun to contrast the directorial styles of Mike Gargiulo and Stu Phelps, who helmed the ABC "Password." Phelps loved zoom-ins, apparently, and there were quite a few to add to the drama of the game.

cweaver

« Reply #24 on: September 11, 2006, 04:44:01 PM »
[quote name=\'mystery7\' post=\'131064\' date=\'Sep 11 2006, 12:19 PM\']
Veering slightly: I always thought the Pyramid shows looked like they did because of ABC's lesser-quality gear. Audio seemed OK for the shows I remember, but the video was terrible.
[/quote]

To me it looks like an an issue with the videotape itself.  Either it's a dub and it suffered some kind of generational loss, or they used some heavily recycled tape that had been used to record everything from Treasure Isle to Password and was on its last leg.

MikeK

• Martha!
« Reply #25 on: September 11, 2006, 05:44:32 PM »
[quote name=\'mmb5\' post=\'131050\' date=\'Sep 11 2006, 11:54 AM\']I'd be willing to start a torrent seed for this if anyone can point me to a place that would be willing to host the seed info.[/quote]
Demonoid?

I'm trying to convert it to a WMV as we speak but my TV card and audio are out of synch.  Hopefully I can get this fixed by the end of the night.

narzo

« Reply #26 on: September 11, 2006, 07:11:54 PM »
there's some audio clips of another password show form this era at: http://www.bewitched.net/sounds.htm

you'll notice the lightning round is played for $100 a word so this would be after the 2 games to win rule went into effect.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #27 on: September 11, 2006, 08:20:20 PM »
Some thoughts:

First off, I might be jaded because I ABHOR vanilla Password on TV. That scoring system is just silly. The orange set didn't help. Which brings me to:

Did that set REALLY need to be anywhere NEAR that big? Talk about overdoing it for a game where people didn't stray from the single desk. The All-Stars / '75 set at least uses the extra space for something.

I was certainly glad to see it for curiosity's sake (and glad that they ran it, for sure! If they do go to this Game 'O' The Week thing I'll set a permanent Tivo slot), but at the same time I could go the rest of my life without seeing another one.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #28 on: September 11, 2006, 08:37:26 PM »
Did you notice the man walking on the opposite side of the stage as Allen was being introduced?  

The set did seem quite big for what they were doing with it.  Maybe they were hiding American Bandstand behind it? :)
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

PYLW

« Reply #29 on: September 11, 2006, 08:52:54 PM »
Finally just watched the tape a few hours ago, and I like what I saw. It's a shame the other epsiodes that survived are really only available via trading/giving up your left arm...