Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: "Midnight Money Madness" Premieres Tonight on TBS  (Read 12698 times)

uncamark

"Midnight Money Madness" Premieres Tonight on TBS
« on: August 28, 2006, 05:42:43 PM »
The number of call-in-and-lose shows on national U.S. television doubles tonight as TBS premieres "Midnight Money Madness" on the former SuperStation at midnight ET (or 12:05 a.m., for you diehards from the old days).  TBS' web site:

http://www.tbs.com/shows/midnightmoneymadn...|648968,00.html

One of the hosts is a busty British babe who did a call-in-and-lose show over there (sound familiar?), the other one used to portray Mr. G. Ball on GSN back in the day.

Pray that "Up to the Minute" and "World News Now" will keep CBS and ABC from trying their hand at this genre, not to mention the Leno/Conan/whatever reruns on NBC.  I wouldn't put it past Roger Ailes to pitch this for either Fox or MyNetworkTV affils, though.

chad1m

« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2006, 05:47:56 PM »
Well, I'm going to watch it tonight no matter what, but I've got a feeling it just won't be as good as PlayMania.

FOXSportsFan

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2006, 06:15:46 PM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' post=\'129483\' date=\'Aug 28 2006, 05:42 PM\']
The number of call-in-and-lose shows on national U.S. television doubles tonight as TBS premieres "Midnight Money Madness" on the former SuperStation at midnight ET (or 12:05 a.m., for you diehards from the old days).  TBS' web site:

http://www.tbs.com/shows/midnightmoneymadn...|648968,00.html

One of the hosts is a busty British babe who did a call-in-and-lose show over there (sound familiar?), the other one used to portray Mr. G. Ball on GSN back in the day.

Pray that "Up to the Minute" and "World News Now" will keep CBS and ABC from trying their hand at this genre, not to mention the Leno/Conan/whatever reruns on NBC.  I wouldn't put it past Roger Ailes to pitch this for either Fox or MyNetworkTV affils, though.
[/quote]

Sad thing is I could see CBS doing it...who the hell watches Up to the Minute?

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2006, 06:19:26 PM »
[quote name=\'chad1m\' post=\'129484\' date=\'Aug 28 2006, 02:47 PM\']
Well, I'm going to watch it tonight no matter what, but I've got a feeling it just won't be as good as PlayMania.
[/quote]
<splort>

I'll be sending you a bill for one new keyboard, Chad. This one has soda all in it now.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2006, 06:20:18 PM by clemon79 »
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

chad1m

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2006, 07:52:03 PM »
Why is it that bad that I like PM and think it's a good show? For what it is, (a low-budget, lower-prize value call-in-at-late night show) it is a decent program. PlayMania is a good show that has lasted longer than anyone thought it would before. If you're expecting a flashy show with high-tech graphics and big-money prizes, then you're going to be disappointed because that's not what the show is about. It's stupid that you find it humorous that I like the show.

BrandonFG

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2006, 08:18:59 PM »
[quote name=\'chad1m\' post=\'129501\' date=\'Aug 28 2006, 07:52 PM\']
Why is it that bad that I like PM and think it's a good show? For what it is, (a low-budget, lower-prize value call-in-at-late night show) it is a decent program. PlayMania is a good show that has lasted longer than anyone thought it would before. If you're expecting a flashy show with high-tech graphics and big-money prizes, then you're going to be disappointed because that's not what the show is about. It's stupid that you find it humorous that I like the show.
[/quote]
I have no problem with the cheap presenation and all. It's a hell of a lot cheaper than those 1-900 shows USA and FAM did throughout the 1990s. And of course, you're entitled to your own opinion; I don't think Chris was denying you that. Not that I talk for him. :-)

However, I have a serious problem with the surveys that they use. Top 5 game shows, and "PlayMania" is one of them?! Lingo in the top 5?!

Top 5 comedy movies of the 90s, and you have "Clerks" and "Liar Liar"? Yes, I respect the hell out of Kevin Smith for what he's done, but I don't think that belongs as a top 5 comedy, and I sure as hell don't think "Liar Liar" belongs there.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

dzinkin

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2006, 08:36:14 PM »
[/quote]
I'm guessing -- and Chris, please correct me if I'm wrong -- that what he found humorous isn't so much that you like the show, but that you think that one actually could be better than another given that there seems to be so little to these shows in the first place.

clemon79

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2006, 08:36:25 PM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' post=\'129507\' date=\'Aug 28 2006, 05:18 PM\']
And of course, you're entitled to your own opinion; I don't think Chris was denying you that.
[/quote]
I dunno...
It's stupid that you find it humorous that I like the show.
[/quote]
...he sure seems willing to deny me mine.

clemon79

« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2006, 08:38:21 PM »
[quote name=\'dzinkin\' post=\'129512\' date=\'Aug 28 2006, 05:36 PM\']
I'm guessing -- and Chris, please correct me if I'm wrong -- that what he found humorous isn't so much that you like the show, but that you think that one actually could be better than another given that there seems to be so little to these shows in the first place.
[/quote]
No, I think it's funny that the person rushing to defend the show when everyone else, to a man, happens to think it's complete crap, is the same person who just happens to have been on the show several times and won money from it. I'm reminded of a certain Donnymid contestant.

It was more the Spit-Take-Of-I-Can't-Believe-Someone-Friggin'-Said-That.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2006, 08:38:55 PM by clemon79 »

dzinkin

« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2006, 08:47:11 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'129515\' date=\'Aug 28 2006, 08:38 PM\']
[quote name=\'dzinkin\' post=\'129512\' date=\'Aug 28 2006, 05:36 PM\']
[/quote]
No, I think it's funny that the person rushing to defend the show when everyone else, to a man, happens to think it's complete crap, is the same person who just happens to have been on the show several times and won money from it. I'm reminded of a certain Donnymid contestant.

It was more the Spit-Take-Of-I-Can't-Believe-Someone-Friggin'-Said-That.
[/quote]
Ah, gotcha.  Well, my point stands nonetheless; although I don't hold an opinion on PlayMania per se because I haven't seen it for myself, I'm not getting the impression that there's a lot to these shows in general.

clemon79

« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2006, 08:57:32 PM »
[quote name=\'dzinkin\' post=\'129516\' date=\'Aug 28 2006, 05:47 PM\']
I'm not getting the impression that there's a lot to these shows in general.
[/quote]
There isn't. It's clear the required crew is totally minimal (HPOA, screener, sound, switcher, prolly a Chyron Boy, although the producer might double up that role, and a couple of camerapeople) and that it's absolutely all about the profit from the text messages. In fact, all of this information we're finding out about people paying their money and then getting hung out of dry might be the downfall of the whole thing...legally, yeah, I'm sure they're covered, but word on that is gonna get out eventually. ESPECIALLY if the format takes off.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2006, 08:57:45 PM by clemon79 »

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2006, 09:11:40 PM »
In fact, all of this information we're finding out about people paying their money and then getting hung out of dry might be the downfall of the whole thing.

Wait, what? Not the "hung out to dry" typo, but how were people getting shafted by the show?

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

BrandonFG

« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2006, 09:12:12 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'129521\' date=\'Aug 28 2006, 08:57 PM\']
There isn't. It's clear the required crew is totally minimal (HPOA, screener, sound, switcher, prolly a Chyron Boy, although the producer might double up that role, and a couple of camerapeople) and that it's absolutely all about the profit from the text messages. In fact, all of this information we're finding out about people paying their money and then getting hung out of dry might be the downfall of the whole thing...legally, yeah, I'm sure they're covered, but word on that is gonna get out eventually. ESPECIALLY if the format takes off.
[/quote]
With TBS trying this, and one of the stations in New York going for it, I wonder if this could catch on, and become a regionalized thing. Honestly, just add some green fabric and chroma-key some graphics, and you've got a show. Give away some station paraphanelia or local gift certificates.

/I think I'll pitch this to the GM tomorrow.
//Win-freakin-win, baby!
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

aaron sica

« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2006, 09:18:16 PM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' post=\'129523\' date=\'Aug 28 2006, 09:12 PM\']
/I think I'll pitch this to the GM tomorrow.
//Win-freakin-win, baby!
[/quote]

///Don't forget some hot babes to host the show
////And a BB&B sponsorship

clemon79

« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2006, 09:36:08 PM »
[quote name=\'JasonA1\' post=\'129522\' date=\'Aug 28 2006, 06:11 PM\']
Wait, what? Not the "hung out to dry" typo, but how were people getting shafted by the show?
[/quote]
Okay, admittedly, that part is speculative. But we seem to be hearing a LOT of stories about how GSN is running their show to maximize text entries: manipulating games so that they go ON and ON and ON (like the StarFace incident), not putting players in the Waiting Lounge or whatever the hell that queue is called to encourage more people to text than normally would, even though they DO IN FACT have people waiting, they just want to represent that they don't so people think they can get in, that kind of thing. Nothing specifically illegal, but certainly deceptive enough that if word got out widely that they were doing it that way, there would be a backlash.