Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: PYL Control Available  (Read 2516 times)

visualbasicwizard

PYL Control Available
« on: August 28, 2006, 05:18:09 PM »
To anybody that's interested, my PYL Control is now available.  I got the site up and running today.  http://one.fsphost.com/vbwizard/.  The installer package is quite large, though.

Enjoy!
Dan R.

NickintheATL

• Husband of snowpeck
PYL Control Available
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2006, 10:59:42 PM »
1000 Mhz processor speed?  I'm not trying to be rude, but some of us just don't have an up-to-date computer.

Oh well, I guess it'll be enjoyable for those with the capabilites to run it.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
PYL Control Available
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2006, 11:14:41 PM »
[quote name=\'NicholasM79\' post=\'129538\' date=\'Aug 28 2006, 07:59 PM\']
1000 Mhz processor speed?  I'm not trying to be rude, but some of us just don't have an up-to-date computer.

[/quote]
With respect, 1 GHz processors have not only been common, but downright cheap, for at least three or four years now. There is one sitting on my kitchen table (okay, it's on the floor next to my table) right now that I made completely out of extra parts for the sole purpose of running MAME. I have a 1 GHz laptop gathering dust right now because I bought a faster one - two years ago.

Today's Fry's ad has a complete (minus monitor) 3.3 GHz system for $350. I don't think you can BUY a sub-1 GHz processor today.

1 GHz is not an unreasonable system requirement in 2006 at all. In fact I'd go so far to say that it's downright lenient.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2006, 11:18:41 PM by clemon79 »
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

visualbasicwizard

PYL Control Available
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2006, 11:56:18 PM »
[quote name=\'NicholasM79\' post=\'129538\' date=\'Aug 28 2006, 10:59 PM\']

[/quote]

That basically the box the game was written on.  I built it 5 years ago, it I'll be the first to say it's out of date.  My computer is barely able to morph the slides in time.  I've tested on faster machins, and it works OK.  Anything slower than 1Ghz, you'll have to turn off the morphing.

--Dan

parliboy

• Which of my enemies told you I was paranoid?
PYL Control Available
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2006, 12:13:10 AM »
And now to divide the baby:

Chris is right -- if you have your own income, and you've bought a computer of any merit in the last four to five years, you've got at least one gig.  If you haven't bought one in the millenium, then you shouldn't be complaining that you can't run something that was released in 2006.

Meanwhile, Nicholas, you can always sate yourself on some of the older software used for this purpose.  I ran the PYL control at the link below on a P133 laptop back in the day.  If you can't make this work then you're pretty much SOL.

http://crossbearer.com/
"You're never ready, just less unprepared."

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
PYL Control Available
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2006, 12:44:40 AM »
Well, that said, Nicholas is a student, and believe me, I was a student once, so I understand that. I'm not faulting him or trying to mock him for having a slow system. I'm just saying that, really, these days, a requirement of a gigahertz processor is absolutely not asking for much at all.

(And now that I think about it, that machine on my kitchen table has been sitting there for 18 months. And I built it out of old parts THEN. Yeah, I need to get my projects done. :))
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Casey Buck

PYL Control Available
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2006, 12:48:07 AM »
Hey, I still got a 500 MHz G4 Mac (actually a G3 with a CPU upgrade) from 1999! But then, I can't run this program, anyway.

NickintheATL

• Husband of snowpeck
PYL Control Available
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2006, 01:08:27 AM »
Yeah, I am a student that has to spend his money on car repairs rather than a new computer, as much as I'd like a new computer.

I just don't need the capability. My point was that there are many sub-par users still out here, I was just astonished at the requirements.  Call it "sticker shock" of sorts.  I can understand better now that I see your opinions on the matter.