Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Can anyone name this game show with Wink Martindale?  (Read 2528 times)

GiraffeBoy

• "He can solve puzzles, that's for sure."-Pat Sajak
Can anyone name this game show with Wink Martindale?
« on: August 23, 2006, 10:17:47 PM »
A co-worker tried out for a game show sometime around 1973. It was hosted by Wink Martindale, and it involved a wheel of some sort. I know he hosted "Gambit" around that time, but I don't remember anything that used a wheel. Could there have been anything else he did that may fit the description? Please help.

--Charlie, member of "The Mob"
"B, 2 hours, 52 minutes, 59 seconds...final answer?"
WWTBAM Play It! DCA Million Point Winner #42 - Stick your neck out with pride!

NickintheATL

• Husband of snowpeck
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2006, 10:41:12 PM »
They might have been thinking of Alex Trebek and "The Wizard of Odds".

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2006, 12:07:17 AM »
[quote name=\'GiraffeBoy\' post=\'128792\' date=\'Aug 23 2006, 09:17 PM\']
A co-worker tried out for a game show sometime around 1973. It was hosted by Wink Martindale, and it involved a wheel of some sort. I know he hosted "Gambit" around that time, but I don't remember anything that used a wheel. Could there have been anything else he did that may fit the description? Please help.
[/quote]
"Words and Music" didn't use a wheel by chance, did it?  Otherwise, I'm inclined to believe to it was "Wizard of Odds" too...unless he was hosting some local show.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

uncamark

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2006, 12:20:58 PM »
[quote name=\'Modor\' post=\'128837\' date=\'Aug 23 2006, 11:07 PM\']
[quote name=\'GiraffeBoy\' post=\'128792\' date=\'Aug 23 2006, 09:17 PM\']
[/quote]
"Words and Music" didn't use a wheel by chance, did it?  Otherwise, I'm inclined to believe to it was "Wizard of Odds" too...unless he was hosting some local show.
[/quote]

Just a board and four singers (although I think one or two dropped out along the way).

Also, some gossip columnist in Variety (in a "why would they write about a dinky daytime show item?") claimed that NBC had that show in its sights because some of the clues to the missing lyrics were "too racy" for daytime television circa 1969.  Of course, since the show's gone, we'll never know for sure, outside of the fact that it's probably pretty mild stuff compared to today.

GiraffeBoy

• "He can solve puzzles, that's for sure."-Pat Sajak
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2006, 09:25:02 PM »
Talked to my co-worker last Friday. She said it was "Gambit". She blames a faulty recollection of the show. Nonetheless, thank you for your help.

--Charlie, member of "The Mob"
"B, 2 hours, 52 minutes, 59 seconds...final answer?"
WWTBAM Play It! DCA Million Point Winner #42 - Stick your neck out with pride!