Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Which Game Show Library would you like to see on GSN?  (Read 16818 times)

gsfreak82

Which Game Show Library would you like to see on GSN?
« Reply #30 on: August 27, 2006, 07:07:07 PM »
I'd like to see the Jay Wolpert library.
Especially Whew! and Blackout.  
I think Blackout deserved a longer lifespan than it got.  
All Hail Jay Wolpert!!

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #31 on: August 28, 2006, 10:24:02 PM »
[quote name=\'gsfreak82\' post=\'129371\' date=\'Aug 27 2006, 07:07 PM\']
I'd like to see the Jay Wolpert library.
Especially Whew! and Blackout.  
I think Blackout deserved a longer lifespan than it got.  
All Hail Jay Wolpert!!
[/quote]

Seems like a good idea, but:

1) you'd burn through most of it rather quickly

2) Wolpert's "library" for the most part is only a handful of shows (Fremantle has most of it, IIRC), of which you'd burn through most of it before the year was out

3) Are people really clamoring to see more "Wait 'til YOU Have Kids"?
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #32 on: August 28, 2006, 10:36:19 PM »
[quote name=\'PYLdude\' post=\'129532\' date=\'Aug 28 2006, 07:24 PM\']
[/quote]
Whew! ran a year, didn't it? Beats the hell out of rehashing the same 65 episodes of I've Got Teh Ghey that they've been running.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

michaellinn

« Reply #33 on: August 28, 2006, 10:45:40 PM »
Yes, Whew! ran just over a year. I think it deserved a longer run. It's one of my favorite game shows and was hoping it would have made GSN's top 50 list. I was even expecting - and hoping - the 1980 Chain Reaction would make the list, since GSN made a revival of the show.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2006, 10:47:17 PM by michaellinn »

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #34 on: August 28, 2006, 10:48:27 PM »
[quote name=\'michaellinn\' post=\'129535\' date=\'Aug 28 2006, 09:45 PM\']
I was even expecting - and hoping - the 1980 Chain Reaction would make the list, since GSN made a revival of the show.
[/quote]
I thought CR would get picked as well.  I now further question why they chose Chain Reaction to be the revived show if they thought those other ones were so much better...
--Mark
Phil 4:13

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #35 on: August 28, 2006, 11:21:13 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'129534\' date=\'Aug 28 2006, 10:36 PM\']
[/quote]
Whew! ran a year, didn't it? Beats the hell out of rehashing the same 65 episodes of I've Got Teh Ghey that they've been running.
[/quote]

That's part of the reason why I said most of it.

Would it be hard to get Whew!? I wouldn't mind seeing it on the schedule, but outside of this forum and the game show fandom, how many actually would care one way or another?
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #36 on: August 28, 2006, 11:23:00 PM »
[quote name=\'PYLdude\' post=\'129545\' date=\'Aug 28 2006, 08:21 PM\']
Would it be hard to get Whew!? I wouldn't mind seeing it on the schedule, but outside of this forum and the game show fandom, how many actually would care one way or another?
[/quote]
Dunno. I'd love to find out, tho. I'm guessing not enough to meet Sugarman's price, though, or else GSN would already have done it.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2006, 11:23:42 PM by clemon79 »
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Ian Wallis

« Reply #37 on: August 29, 2006, 09:12:33 AM »
Dunno. I'd love to find out, tho. I'm guessing not enough to meet Sugarman's price, though, or else GSN would already have done it.

If they ever have to go through Sugarman, I hope they can talk about whatever might be left of Celebrity Sweepstakes too.  That, and Whew!, are both in my all-time top 10!
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #38 on: August 29, 2006, 10:50:38 AM »
Sugarman's not averse to opening the vault.  We already have selected eps of "Midnight Special" and the complete "The Richard Pryor Show" on DVD.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2006, 11:00:10 AM by Jimmy Owen »
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

Ian Wallis

« Reply #39 on: August 29, 2006, 04:06:41 PM »
Sugarman's not averse to opening the vault. We already have selected eps of "Midnight Special" and the complete "The Richard Pryor Show" on DVD.

I know that Jeopardy has released some episodes on DVD.  I wonder if eventually some other producer would try to test-market a few shows to see how they did.  Obviously we wouldn't expect Whew to be one of those shows, but how about something more people might recognize or remember - like "Best of Match Game", "Classic Price is Right", or even the complete Aug 1999 first series of Who Wants to be a Millionaire?

Do you think something like that might fly?  Does anyone know how well the Jeopardy DVD sold?
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
« Reply #40 on: August 29, 2006, 04:12:53 PM »
[quote name=\'Ian Wallis\' post=\'129625\' date=\'Aug 29 2006, 03:06 PM\']
Do you think something like that might fly? [/quote]

Would seem to me that Chuck Barris could make a mint putting clips or whole eps of NEWLYWED, DATING and GONG on DVD (although music clearances could also be an issue--don't forget that one of the prinicpal reasons WKRP hasn't seen the light of day on DVD is music clearances).

Doug -- and the countdown to 2200 continues
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
« Reply #41 on: August 29, 2006, 04:28:11 PM »
Unless I'm completely unknowledgable about what' costs royalties, there are at least a handful of "Gong"s they could put to DVD, seeing as how GSN has ran them for the "Confessions" movie and other celebrations. I for one would pick up a DVD of five or so "Gong Show" episodes in a heartbeat. The scant few I have viewed to this point have all produced a belly laugh.

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

BrandonFG

« Reply #42 on: August 29, 2006, 09:41:28 PM »
[quote name=\'SRIV94\' post=\'129628\' date=\'Aug 29 2006, 04:12 PM\']
(although music clearances could also be an issue--don't forget that one of the prinicpal reasons WKRP hasn't seen the light of day on DVD is music clearances).
[/quote]
At this point, I'd take WKRP eps. with the music replaced. A well-written show that stands up almost 30 years later, except for a few dated references.

/Thank goodness for Youtube.

ObGameShow: Tim "Venus Flytrap" Reid appeared on the Just Men ep. that Locklin uploaded to his site, and Francini uploaded a clip of.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Mike Tennant

« Reply #43 on: August 30, 2006, 10:19:30 AM »
Discussion of Burt Sugarman and other owners of library material has me wondering.  The tapes are generating exactly zero revenue for Sugarman as they sit around collecting dust.  Why would he demand such a high price that GSN wouldn't be willing or able to pay it?  Wouldn't it be better to get a less-than-optimal price for them than no price at all?  They surely are not becoming more valuable with age.

I can, to some degree, understand Fremantle's pricing TPIR out of GSN's range so as to keep the current show from competing with itself (especially when the older episodes are, in the opinion of many, superior to the current ones).  I cannot understand why Sugarman and others would prefer no revenue to a small amount of revenue.  At least the revenue they'd generate from GSN would cover the cost of tape storage.

Are we just speculating here without firm evidence to suggest that this is, in fact, what is happening?

gsfreak82

« Reply #44 on: August 31, 2006, 09:47:49 AM »
[quote name=\'PYLdude\' post=\'129545\' date=\'Aug 28 2006, 11:21 PM\']
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'129534\' date=\'Aug 28 2006, 10:36 PM\']
[/quote]
[/quote]

That's part of the reason why I said most of it.

[/quote]

True but don't forget they ran GO a few times.  Why not Blackout or Rodeo Drive?