Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: TV Theme Songs  (Read 17355 times)

sshuffield70

TV Theme Songs
« Reply #30 on: August 30, 2006, 09:19:34 AM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'129678\' date=\'Aug 29 2006, 09:02 PM\']
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' post=\'129675\' date=\'Aug 29 2006, 06:58 PM\']
-NBA on NBC (I believe it's called "Round Ball", written by John Tesh)
[/quote]
"Roundball Rock" is the actual title.

/the more you know
[/quote]

Which I had the pleasure of watching him perform live a year ago.

uncamark

TV Theme Songs
« Reply #31 on: August 30, 2006, 03:58:15 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'129678\' date=\'Aug 29 2006, 09:02 PM\']
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' post=\'129675\' date=\'Aug 29 2006, 06:58 PM\']
-NBA on NBC (I believe it's called "Round Ball", written by John Tesh)
[/quote]
"Roundball Rock" is the actual title.

/the more you know
[/quote]

And I believe NBA TV is now using "Roundball Rock" for its live game coverage.  The song won't go away.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
TV Theme Songs
« Reply #32 on: August 30, 2006, 04:08:52 PM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' post=\'129794\' date=\'Aug 30 2006, 12:58 PM\']
And I believe NBA TV is now using "Roundball Rock" for its live game coverage.  The song won't go away.
[/quote]
I heard it was a modified version of the one NBC used. And it shouldn't go away, it's one of the all-time great sports themes. I bought NBA Showtime for the Dreamcast almost entirely because it used the music and NBC's graphics package. (Okay, the fact that I'm an old-skool NBA Jam addict might have had something to do with it, too.)

/Boomshakalaka!
« Last Edit: August 30, 2006, 04:09:04 PM by clemon79 »
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

megamanj1986

TV Theme Songs
« Reply #33 on: August 31, 2006, 05:14:55 PM »
Back to other TV shows, I'll add Magnum P.I.

Yeah, I thought Magnum, P.I. sounded like it could be a GS theme in a way as well!

The first version by Ian Freebairn Smith does sound like it could be used as b/g music for a gs theme.

But the Mike Post theme, even more as gs theme!

Speaking of themes by Mike Post...

I think to some extent his theme song from L.A Law could sound like a bit of a gs theme and his theme song from Hill Street Blues sounds like it could also be bg music as well, too.

And as for the NBa on NBC theme, I kinda like it, but it won't quite as much hold a candle to the NBA on CBS theme in the '80s, though. But, the NBA on NBC theme lives on in my Chicago News Sports whenever they're showing highlights of the Bulls games, though.

TimK2003

TV Theme Songs
« Reply #34 on: August 31, 2006, 07:19:42 PM »
[quote name=\'megamanj1986\' post=\'129984\' date=\'Aug 31 2006, 04:14 PM\']
And as for the NBa on NBC theme, I kinda like it, but it won't quite as much hold a candle to the NBA on CBS theme in the '80s, though. But, the NBA on NBC theme lives on in my Chicago News Sports whenever they're showing highlights of the Bulls games, though.
[/quote]

Anybody remember the old NBC NFL Football theme they used in the mid-70's (the days when the NBC banners that they'd hang in the stands were red on a white background and looked nothing at all like any other NBC logo or font at the time)?  

For some reason that theme started running through my head after that last post.  Now if only there was an mp3 of it.  IIRC, the theme rocked!

DrBear

TV Theme Songs
« Reply #35 on: September 01, 2006, 09:17:32 AM »
[quote name=\'TimK2003\' post=\'130004\' date=\'Aug 31 2006, 06:19 PM\']

Anybody remember the old NBC NFL Football theme they used in the mid-70's (the days when the NBC banners that they'd hang in the stands were red on a white background and looked nothing at all like any other NBC logo or font at the time)?  

[/quote]
They used that blocky, serif font for all their sports in the early 70s...you can see it very well in the NFL films shot of the Franco Harris "Immaculate Reception." As I remember, they'd play the first part of the music, then the letters would form from lines flying across the screeen to an electronic background, then back to action and music.

If I remember correctly, the music was called "Don't Turn Away."

(and the spirit of Zach lives on)
This isn't a plug, but you can ask me about my book.

Jimmy Owen

TV Theme Songs
« Reply #36 on: September 01, 2006, 09:52:48 AM »
You can get the "disco" version of "Don't Turn Away" on the '79 NCAA hoops final DVD.  I found it at a Meijer store, but that may be due to my proximity to MSU. (That was the year of Magic vs. Bird).
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

Argo

TV Theme Songs
« Reply #37 on: November 19, 2009, 10:22:04 PM »
80s synthesized theme to Guiding Light used around 87 or so. Also the early 80s version could be used for alternate cues for prize descriptions. Others that come to mind are themes to Bizarre with John Byner, John Davidson Show from 1980-81ish (80stvthemes), The Bob Crane Show from 75-76 i believe, Bob Newhart Show. I second the PM Magazine cues as well. Some of those cues would have been great MG think cues.

Mark

JakeT

TV Theme Songs
« Reply #38 on: November 19, 2009, 10:57:38 PM »
If it could be paired with a very well-produced glossy big money game that required more of its contestants than endlessly answering multiple-choice quiestions or blindly selecting random numbered objects AND absolutely prohibited any family or friend of any contestant to come anywhere near the set/stage (Oh, huuuuuny, you've worrrrked so haaaard awwwl yurrrr liiife so yuuuu desurrrrve that milleeeon dawlerss...don't yu leat them insuuult yu with a puuuny $250K...noooo deeeal, baybe gurl...nooooo deeal!), I think a truly great theme for a game would be from the late-70s Aussie sketch/variety "THE PAUL HOGAN SHOW"...yup...ole Crocodile Dundee himself had a funny kooky show with a very classy theme...must admit that each time I hear it, I somehow kinda feel a little better about whatever is happening at that moment...dunno why...I just do...:)

Jake

Bill Neuweiler

TV Theme Songs
« Reply #39 on: November 19, 2009, 11:00:51 PM »
Chuck Mangione did the Cannonball Run theme which I though could have been used as some prize music, also from one of his albums The Hill where the Lord Hides has this fantastic countdown sounding build up near the end which gave me chills the first time I had heard it.
<p>I share a birthday with Jack Barry.

Jimmy Owen

TV Theme Songs
« Reply #40 on: November 20, 2009, 12:10:32 AM »
[quote name=\'JakeT\' post=\'230933\' date=\'Nov 19 2009, 10:57 PM\']If it could be paired with a very well-produced glossy big money game that required more of its contestants than endlessly answering multiple-choice quiestions or blindly selecting random numbered objects AND absolutely prohibited any family or friend of any contestant to come anywhere near the set/stage (Oh, huuuuuny, you've worrrrked so haaaard awwwl yurrrr liiife so yuuuu desurrrrve that milleeeon dawlerss...don't yu leat them insuuult yu with a puuuny $250K...noooo deeeal, baybe gurl...nooooo deeal!), I think a truly great theme for a game would be from the late-70s Aussie sketch/variety "THE PAUL HOGAN SHOW"...yup...ole Crocodile Dundee himself had a funny kooky show with a very classy theme...must admit that each time I hear it, I somehow kinda feel a little better about whatever is happening at that moment...dunno why...I just do...:)

Jake[/quote]

If I'm not mistaken, that is a discofied version of Tchaikovsky's "Symphony in E Minor no 5.  Op 64" 2nd movement.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2009, 12:18:34 AM by Jimmy Owen »
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

Twentington

• I just got to win / Spin the Wheel again
TV Theme Songs
« Reply #41 on: November 20, 2009, 12:25:45 AM »
It's not a TV theme, but I think that passport.mid would make a pretty good GS theme if played on real instruments.
Bobby Peacock

JepMasta

TV Theme Songs
« Reply #42 on: November 20, 2009, 01:28:18 AM »
Not a TV Theme - but I've always had an affection for the 1980s instrumental "Garden Party" by Mezzoforte ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmSDTutGyIw ) I always thought it would be perfect for a light daytime quizzer.

Also I love the level one theme to the NES game "Blaster Master" ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKno6qPQEJg )  Back when I was young and foolish (well, more foolish than I am today) I had this in mind as the theme to a "Millionaire" knock-off netgame I dreamed up called "Million Dollar Madness.  And I still love it as a potential game show theme

Brian~
« Last Edit: November 20, 2009, 07:06:34 PM by JepMasta »

golden-road

TV Theme Songs
« Reply #43 on: November 20, 2009, 04:25:28 AM »
I've always preferred the Ricki Lake theme myself.

Craig Karlberg

TV Theme Songs
« Reply #44 on: November 20, 2009, 04:55:17 AM »
I always thought the Richie Rich theme would work as a theme to the Money List before Fox came along.

Emergency! was one of my favorittes from the 70's.  Some of its dramatic & tense cues could fit in with shows like Millionaire or even Deal or No Deal(if it weren't for its own theme being used).

And not necessarily a TV show per se, the ABC movie themes may've been used as theme or prize/bumper cue music.