Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: More Changes Coming to the Next Season of Wheel  (Read 15095 times)

tvwxman

More Changes Coming to the Next Season of Wheel
« Reply #30 on: August 20, 2006, 04:57:30 PM »
[quote name=\'chad1m\' post=\'128155\' date=\'Aug 20 2006, 01:00 AM\']
- A new wedge/token is debuting: Wild Card. If a contestant lands on it and gets a letter right, they can pick it up and use it to receive an extra letter on any turn. The best idea is to obviously save it for a big money amount. However, if a contestant still has it at the end of the main game and they move on to the bonus round, they use it to gain an extra consonant in the bonus round.
[/quote]

Well, it's about damn time Harry started stealing ideas from the greatest game show ever to air in 1991, "Trump Card".

Matt (who will refrain from bitching until he hears Charlie say "Tonight's Wild Card is sponsored by Taco Bell's "Wild" Burrito! For a walk on the wild side with beans and cheese, cross the border to Taco Bell!")
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

Steve McClellan

« Reply #31 on: August 20, 2006, 05:12:50 PM »
[quote name=\'itiparanoid13\' post=\'128199\' date=\'Aug 20 2006, 11:53 AM\']
As I heard, the wild card looks like whatever the last slide was in the old Joker's Wild, font wise I heard.  I've never seen TJW beyond a few clips, so I have no idea.  Go figure: Sony does a new TJW, and they take the font from the old TJW for the Wild Card.
[/quote]
I will presume your source means the top image from this page:
http://www.gameshow-galaxy.net/TJW1.htm

Joe Mello

• has hit the time release button
« Reply #32 on: August 20, 2006, 05:47:13 PM »
[quote name=\'Modor\' post=\'128215\' date=\'Aug 20 2006, 04:06 PM\']Speaking of which...isn't there a new game that is supposed to debut early in the new season?  Does anyone have any details?[/quote]

As a matter of fact, there are some details.  It's called Stack the Deck, and I forgot who made it, but I know it's none of the usual suspects (Roger, Fingers, Bob).  I want to say Bart, but I can't swear to that.

But that's for another thread.
This signature is currently under construction.

Steve Gavazzi

« Reply #33 on: August 20, 2006, 06:30:07 PM »
Since it's already been brought up here, yes, Bart created it.  I also know it's a car game.  And I don't know anything else about it...actually, I try to avoid knowing a whole lot of things about new pricing games before I've seen them on the air.

Strikerz04

• The Money Will be Spent
« Reply #34 on: August 21, 2006, 03:27:31 PM »
[quote name=\'Clay Zambo\' post=\'128213\' date=\'Aug 20 2006, 03:02 PM\']
I like the idea of "Wild Card" a lot.  But then, I like the recently-departed Aussie bonus game, where the number of consonants you got was determined by your main-game score.  
[/quote]

One slight issue with the idea of adopting the Aussie-version: there are 21 consonants in the alphabet, including Q, Z, and X. You score virtually $42K in the main game (from my understanding its $2000 for every consonant), and that might give you an automatic win. ("might" because someone can totally screw it up).

Both ideas ("Jackpot" and "Wild Card") are really interesting, and I can't wait to see it in practice. Its better than putting on a 4th toss up...

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #35 on: August 21, 2006, 03:38:05 PM »
[quote name=\'Strikerz04\' post=\'128352\' date=\'Aug 21 2006, 12:27 PM\']
One slight issue with the idea of adopting the Aussie-version: there are 21 consonants in the alphabet, including Q, Z, and X. You score virtually $42K in the main game (from my understanding its $2000 for every consonant), and that might give you an automatic win. ("might" because someone can totally screw it up).
[/quote]
It would also never happen because they don't use the grossly inflated TDV's that we do.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

WhammyPower

« Reply #36 on: August 21, 2006, 03:41:33 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'128354\' date=\'Aug 21 2006, 02:38 PM\'] [quote name=\'Strikerz04\' post=\'128352\' date=\'Aug 21 2006, 12:27 PM\']
[/quote]
It would also never happen because they don't use the grossly inflated TDV's that we do. [/quote]
Nor do they multiply what you spun with how many of that letter are on the board.

clemon79

« Reply #37 on: August 21, 2006, 04:19:31 PM »
[quote name=\'WhammyPower\' post=\'128355\' date=\'Aug 21 2006, 12:41 PM\']
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'128354\' date=\'Aug 21 2006, 02:38 PM\']
It would also never happen because they don't use the grossly inflated TDV's that we do. [/quote]
Nor do they multiply what you spun with how many of that letter are on the board.
[/quote]
Oh, good point, forgot about that vital little bit.

Joe Mello

« Reply #38 on: August 21, 2006, 05:16:57 PM »
I think the only way the US Wheel could adapt that bonus letter policy would be to tie it into the number of puzzles won. (Like maybe one extra letter per 2 puzzles)  Considering there are at least 7 played every night, that's not as bad as you think.

To be honest, anything that could potentially increase the number of bonus round wins is a good thing.

MSTieScott

• Executive Producer
« Reply #39 on: August 21, 2006, 05:34:08 PM »
But if they increase the number of bonus round wins, then they're going to have to decrease the extreme dollar amounts in the main game (lowering the values of both sides of the mystery wedges, not setting up the wheel for the speed round so that Pat's spin strength will put it on $5,000 every other time, etc.). And they clearly don't want to do that.

Any contestant who has the Wild Card and lands on the top dollar value is immediately going to trade it in.  Exciting main game money, still-difficult-to-win bonus round. Right in keeping with the trend. And anyway, I've seen numerous bonus round puzzles where I would have needed two or three extra consonants in order to pick the letter that gives the puzzle away. I doubt that'll change.

--
Scott Robinson

Joe Mello

« Reply #40 on: August 21, 2006, 07:08:01 PM »
[quote name=\'MSTieScott\' post=\'128375\' date=\'Aug 21 2006, 05:34 PM\']But if they increase the number of bonus round wins, then they're going to have to decrease the extreme dollar amounts in the main game.  And they clearly don't want to do that.[/quote]
I'm not expecting this to turn into the late 80's, early 90's where you could solve a bonus puzzle with your eyes closed.  I would consider the Wild Card to be a success if we averaged about 2 bonus wins/week.

It also helps if there's some smarter bonus game play, but that's another topic.

gameshowguy2000

« Reply #41 on: August 22, 2006, 04:45:52 PM »
Sorry for not posting here in a long time.

I like the idea of the boosting more money into the Jackpot. If the show wants to give away more money, more power to them.

clemon79

« Reply #42 on: August 22, 2006, 05:04:12 PM »
[quote name=\'gameshowguy2000\' post=\'128463\' date=\'Aug 22 2006, 01:45 PM\']
Sorry for not posting here in a long time.
[/quote]
Please, don't be.
I like the idea of the boosting more money into the Jackpot. If the show wants to give away more money, more power to them.
Of course you do.

Neumms

« Reply #43 on: August 22, 2006, 05:45:32 PM »
What I'd like to see is a player who knows the puzzle show some spunk and keep spinning for more dough.

Oh, that's right, they quit doing that about 18 years ago.

What surprises me is that they haven't bunged up Jeopardy nearly as much as Wheel. They could easily hide a couple of bonus cards on the board like Daily Doubles--a Pizza Hut Jackpot card, or the Mountain Dew wild card. Or a $600 PacSun gift certificate instead of cash. Thank heavens they haven't, of course.

TimK2003

« Reply #44 on: August 22, 2006, 07:47:08 PM »
[quote name=\'Neumms\' post=\'128473\' date=\'Aug 22 2006, 04:45 PM\']
What surprises me is that they haven't bunged up Jeopardy nearly as much as Wheel. They could easily hide a couple of bonus cards on the board like Daily Doubles--a Pizza Hut Jackpot card, or the Mountain Dew wild card. Or a $600 PacSun gift certificate instead of cash. Thank heavens they haven't, of course.
[/quote]

I'm surprised that they haven't allowed sponsorship for the existing Daily Double answers.

<Alex Trebek>  The answer is.....A Domino's Daily Double!!  Call your local Domino's before the end of the show and get two large Deep Dish pizzas for the price of one!!!  Now, Marge, how much do you wish to wager on the category of French Cuisine?  </AT>