Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: More Changes Coming to the Next Season of Wheel  (Read 15352 times)

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
More Changes Coming to the Next Season of Wheel
« Reply #45 on: August 22, 2006, 07:57:30 PM »
[quote name=\'Neumms\' post=\'128473\' date=\'Aug 22 2006, 02:45 PM\']
What surprises me is that they haven't bunged up Jeopardy nearly as much as Wheel.
[/quote]
Frankly, I think the sponsored categories (and if you don't think that special category about E! isn't fetching a fee plug, you're not thinking) are quite enough bunge.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Joe Mello

• has hit the time release button
« Reply #46 on: August 22, 2006, 09:18:27 PM »
Yeah, Jeopardy was never about product placement.  Wheel of Fortune always was.  I mean, you went shopping after every round.  How does that not scream for plugs?
This signature is currently under construction.

Unrealtor

« Reply #47 on: August 22, 2006, 10:12:03 PM »
I like the concept of the wild card, but the name is horrible. In every other game I can think of (including a certain Barry and Enright game Harry's going to be working on) something "wild" allows you to choose any possible outcome that would otherwise be dictated by random chance. (In other words, my concept of a true "wild card" on Wheel would mean that you got to pick the space, not just repeat what you landed on before.)

Why not call it what it is, an extra letter? "That's the extra letter card. If you land on it and call a letter that's in the puzzle, you'll be able to exchange it for an extra letter after any spin, or the bonus round."

My guess is that it will go the way of the Double Play: Good idea, but dumped after a year as "too confusing."
« Last Edit: August 22, 2006, 10:14:54 PM by Unrealtor »
"It's for £50,000. If you want to, you may remove your trousers."

BrandonFG

« Reply #48 on: August 22, 2006, 10:25:34 PM »
[quote name=\'gameshowguy2000\' post=\'128463\' date=\'Aug 22 2006, 04:45 PM\']
I like the idea of the boosting more money into the Jackpot. If the show wants to give away more money, more power to them.
[/quote]
Not to put words in your mouth, but do you think that giving away $100,000 for playing Hangman was a good idea?
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

clemon79

« Reply #49 on: August 22, 2006, 10:28:46 PM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' post=\'128531\' date=\'Aug 22 2006, 07:25 PM\']
[quote name=\'gameshowguy2000\' post=\'128463\' date=\'Aug 22 2006, 04:45 PM\']
I like the idea of the boosting more money into the Jackpot. If the show wants to give away more money, more power to them.
[/quote]
Not to put words in your mouth, but do you think that giving away $100,000 for playing Hangman was a good idea?
[/quote]
Look at who you're talking to.

Joe Mello

• has hit the time release button
« Reply #50 on: August 22, 2006, 10:31:05 PM »
[quote name=\'Unrealtor\' post=\'128527\' date=\'Aug 22 2006, 10:12 PM\']I like the concept of the wild card, but the name is horrible. In every other game I can think of (including a certain Barry and Enright game Harry's going to be working on) something "wild" allows you to choose any possible outcome that would otherwise be dictated by random chance. (In other words, my concept of a true "wild card" on Wheel would mean that you got to pick the space, not just repeat what you landed on before.)

Why not call it what it is, an extra letter? "That's the extra letter card. If you land on it and call a letter that's in the puzzle, you'll be able to exchange it for an extra letter after any spin, or the bonus round."[/quote]
It becomes any possible letter that would otherwise be dictated by external circumstances, one of which being chance?  Maybe?

Do you think we should even try to figure out what Harry Friedman is thinking?  Okay, stupid question, but the point is that this is Harry's idea, and there's probably a decent reason it's called what it's called. (Probably because Double Play was already used, but hey.)
This signature is currently under construction.

wheelloon

« Reply #51 on: August 22, 2006, 11:11:10 PM »
As time has gone on, and I've mulled over this "Wild Card" idea a bit, I've realized it's not the most horrible idea I can imagine being put into WOF at this point (not even close). In fact, if they were to eliminate it being able to be used in the bonus round, I'd support it 100%.

In the end though, I have a feeling it will have a pretty similar fate as the Double Play space. Either way, no skin off my back...
"I'm dressed as one of the most frightening figures known to man...

A TV game show host."--Pat Sajak

Clay Zambo

« Reply #52 on: August 23, 2006, 09:00:26 AM »
[quote name=\'Joe Mello\' post=\'128372\' date=\'Aug 21 2006, 05:16 PM\']
I think the only way the US Wheel could adapt that bonus letter policy would be to tie it into the number of puzzles won. (Like maybe one extra letter per 2 puzzles) [/quote]

Or start with three consonants, and give ONE extra per puzzle solved.

To be honest, anything that could potentially increase the number of bonus round wins is a good thing.

I don't agree.  I think a bonus prize should be hard to win.  And it's not as if--considering the high values on our wheel--contestants are exactly going away empty-handed.
czambo@mac.com

uncamark

« Reply #53 on: August 23, 2006, 04:18:09 PM »
Why hasn't Friedman fiddled around with "J!" like he has with "Wheel?"  Because you can't.  The format's too rock solid to fiddle around with and the sort of sponsorship things that "Wheel" does are out of place on "J!"  Friedman does realize that they are different shows and treats them like different shows, not as just two game shows.

Neumms

« Reply #54 on: August 23, 2006, 05:03:23 PM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' post=\'128699\' date=\'Aug 23 2006, 03:18 PM\']
Why hasn't Friedman fiddled around with "J!" like he has with "Wheel?"  Because you can't.  The format's too rock solid to fiddle around with and the sort of sponsorship things that "Wheel" does are out of place on "J!"  
[/quote]

They're not exactly "in" place on "Wheel," though.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #55 on: August 24, 2006, 02:36:16 AM »
I like the idea of the Wild Card, since it gives the good players a chance at more money. (I also think the top dollar should have peaked at $1,500, so what the hell do I know). The Jackpot wedge should be what it was originally, a bonus. If you don't think you can solve the puzzle, aim for something else. There's no reason to make the change.

I'm not sure why Harry feels the need to change Wheel at all. I can get by with one change a year, and a few of them have been for the better (ditching shopping, the mystery round and a few other things I forget) but a whole bunch of the changes, mostly the visual presentation, have eaten dog. Stick with a good thing.

But then again, I'm just one viewer.
Travis L. Eberle

wheelloon

« Reply #56 on: August 24, 2006, 07:20:52 PM »
I may be showing my WOF "nerd-dom" here, but I noticed this and wondered if anybody here could confirm.

While watching the intro Pat and Vanna did this evening, about how 1 year ago, they were taping the shows in New Orleans, they showed part of the wheel, and it appears the colors were changed (note: not the Wheel's layout), maybe they showed what the "new" wheel layout will be. I saw a blue $500, and a pale pink $900, for example. They may have rearranged other parts of it not shown, but it wouldn't be a bad thing though if they were to rearrrange its layout anyway, since it's been the same now for about 10 years.

Sure, its not a major change, but since Wheel is going HD, this could be an appropriate change, to show off their new technology with a new rainbow of colors. Or, is this just showing that my TV is on the fritz? :/
"I'm dressed as one of the most frightening figures known to man...

A TV game show host."--Pat Sajak

clemon79

« Reply #57 on: August 24, 2006, 07:54:03 PM »
I'm thinking that this is showing that your yard could probably use some maintanance. :)

Steve McClellan

« Reply #58 on: August 24, 2006, 08:00:01 PM »
For the terrible geeks among us: Some of the colors have changed, but the amounts remain the same.

itiparanoid13

« Reply #59 on: October 20, 2006, 12:02:44 AM »
Sorry to revive a really really dead post, but thanks to GSNN for finally figuring out the date of the additions (I never watch WOF so I never check the site).  Wild Card, and I'm guessing the new Jackpot rules since a new Jackpot space is coming, will debut this coming Monday, October 23rd.