Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Your host of Set For Life  (Read 2856 times)

Joe Mello

• has hit the time release button
Your host of Set For Life
« on: August 19, 2006, 09:33:17 PM »
It's none other than Jimmy Kimmel

Well, I can't say I like this decision, considering it looks like a major copycat move based on Deal and 1vs100, but I can't say I don't like it.  This doesn't seem like Kimmel's style, but what do I know?
This signature is currently under construction.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2006, 09:42:20 PM »
[quote name=\'Joe Mello\' post=\'128122\' date=\'Aug 19 2006, 06:33 PM\']
Well, I can't say I like this decision, considering it looks like a major copycat move based on Deal and 1vs100, but I can't say I don't like it.  This doesn't seem like Kimmel's style, but what do I know?
[/quote]
You _are_ aware that Kimmel did host a game show once upon a time, right?
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

bandit_bobby

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2006, 10:46:49 PM »
I like Jimmy Kimmel on WBSM, but I don't think a comedian would fit in a show like this, at least from where I see it.

Joe Mello

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2006, 10:59:37 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'128123\' date=\'Aug 19 2006, 09:42 PM\']You _are_ aware that Kimmel did host a game show once upon a time, right?[/quote]
Yeah, but that show had a lighthearted atmosphere.  Set For Life.....not so much.

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2006, 11:04:22 PM »
[quote name=\'bandit_bobby\' post=\'128128\' date=\'Aug 19 2006, 10:46 PM\']I don't think a comedian would fit in a show like this, at least from where I see it.[/quote]
[quote name=\'Joe Mello\' post=\'128130\' date=\'Aug 19 2006, 10:59 PM\']that show had a lighthearted atmosphere.  Set For Life.....not so much.[/quote]
I'm curious about how you two know so much about the atmosphere of a show that hasn't started yet.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

chad1m

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2006, 11:20:13 PM »
You've got to remember, too, that actors and comedians have always been on game shows. From Groucho on Life, to Richard on Feud and Regis on Millionaire, you can't judge a person and the way they'll interact on a show just because they act or they're funny. I like Kimmel, and I think he could (and will) do a fine job.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2006, 11:23:32 PM by chad1m »

BrandonFG

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2006, 11:32:08 PM »
[quote name=\'bandit_bobby\' post=\'128128\' date=\'Aug 19 2006, 10:46 PM\']
I like Jimmy Kimmel on WBSM, but I don't think a comedian would fit in a show like this, at least from where I see it.
[/quote]
Okay, and a lot of people thought that Howie Mandel would bomb, and he does quite well on D/ND. And that's a man whose main gimmick was wearing a latex glove over his head. :-)

I think Kimmel knows that the Set audience isn't necessarily the young demo that watches his late nite show, and can tone it down.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Joe Mello

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2006, 11:40:13 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'128132\' date=\'Aug 19 2006, 11:04 PM\']
[quote name=\'bandit_bobby\' post=\'128128\' date=\'Aug 19 2006, 10:46 PM\']I don't think a comedian would fit in a show like this, at least from where I see it.[/quote]
[quote name=\'Joe Mello\' post=\'128130\' date=\'Aug 19 2006, 10:59 PM\']that show had a lighthearted atmosphere.  Set For Life.....not so much.[/quote]
I'm curious about how you two know so much about the atmosphere of a show that hasn't started yet.
[/quote]

I've come to this conclusion from the following
-Reading about the British version
-Recalling what I saw from Powerball: Instant Millionaire (which bears a striking similarity to this game or vice versa)
-Observing other big money game shows

I mean, yes, there's room for comedy, but it's limited and I don't know if Kimmel is ready to handle the mood.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2006, 11:45:49 PM »
[quote name=\'Joe Mello\' post=\'128141\' date=\'Aug 19 2006, 08:40 PM\']
-Recalling what I saw from Powerball: Instant Millionaire (which bears a striking similarity to this game or vice versa)
[/quote]
So in other words, you've come to this conclusion based on almost no tangible evidence whatsoever.

Good stuff, there, chief. You might figure out soon enough that Bobby is not someone you want to be lumped together with. Or, you might not.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

NickS

« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2006, 12:17:12 AM »
[quote name=\'Joe Mello\' post=\'128141\' date=\'Aug 19 2006, 10:40 PM\']

I mean, yes, there's room for comedy, but it's limited and I don't know if Kimmel is ready to handle the mood.
[/quote]

And once again:

I understand the need for concern, but I'd actually like to... you know... SEE the actual show before I pass judgement on it.

I, for one, am curious to see how he does since his departure from WBSM.  If he brings Sarah along as a model, then it's appointment TV.

itiparanoid13

« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2006, 12:22:32 AM »
Just make her a model on the, just judging by the rules, far superior, but far more annoying title, Show Me What You Got.  We had to youth it up, didn't we.  I'm 19 and speak with incredibly poor grammar, and that irritates me still.