Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Which Game Show...  (Read 11627 times)

--Richard

Which Game Show...
« on: August 16, 2006, 08:14:10 PM »
My guess is that TPiR will be #1...but I can't guarantee it.

Justin30519

Which Game Show...
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2006, 08:18:09 PM »
It will almost certainly be one that they have the rights to show. My guess is Match Game.

--Richard

Which Game Show...
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2006, 08:19:40 PM »
[quote name=\'Justin30519\' post=\'127709\' date=\'Aug 16 2006, 08:18 PM\']
It will almost certainly be one that they have the rights to show. My guess is Match Game.
[/quote]

That also makes me think that Millionaire will be #1...as they have rights to it AND it's their #1-rated show.

dzinkin

Which Game Show...
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2006, 08:21:52 PM »
[quote name=\'--Richard\' post=\'127708\' date=\'Aug 16 2006, 08:14 PM\']
My guess is that TPiR will be #1...but I can't guarantee it.
[/quote]
This discussion is going on right now in the thread right below yours as I type this.

Having read your introduction in "Let's Meet Our Players"...

I'm hoping to make as much as 1,000 posts here in the Game Show Forum!
...and now this, let me offer some advice: unlike the situation on the GSN board and some other forums, on this board no special recognition is given, and no special respect is accorded, for reaching a certain number of posts.  If it becomes clear that you are posting just to raise your post count, you will not have a pleasant experience here.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2006, 08:26:15 PM by dzinkin »

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Which Game Show...
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2006, 09:02:53 PM »
There's a lot of not-thinking going on in here.

You guys are new, so I don't expect you to have seen this, but it's pretty much been concluded that a) there is no way that they will do the gloss-over thing for any show in the Top 5, and b) TPiR pretty much has to be in the Top 5.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

BobbyLankford_83

Which Game Show...
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2006, 11:01:53 PM »
You're right,David, TPIR has to be and will definitely be in the Top 5. But I don't know if an episode will be shown or what. After all, it has been on for 35 years and has beaten the crap out of everything against it from the original Concentration on NBC in 1972 to Barbara Walters' gabfast The View on ABC today. How many programs can say that?. That is, "We've been on for 35 years, and have beaten the crap out of everything against us!". Think about it.

gsfan85

Which Game Show...
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2006, 04:30:20 PM »
Hey everyone,

Here's what I think will happen.  TPIR WILL be number 1, and should be, considering how long is has been on, and the following it has.  

Notice how they plan on showing Greatest game shows #2 and #1 on the 31st of August.  They'll show 2 episodes of the game show that is 2nd greatest, and end with saying "Ladies and gentlemen, you're favorite game show, The Price is Right!"  Then they'll tell the history, show some photos and then Bil will close the show  by saying thanks a lot bla bla bla.

This way, they don't show an episode, it's still number 1, and it doesn't seem awkward somewhere in the middle that they aren't showing an episode.

Just my prediction.  Here's my prediction for the rest of the order:

1) The Price is Right
2) Match Game
3) Jeopardy!
4) Wheel of Fortune
5) Who Wants to be a Millionaire
6) Family Feud
7) The Newlywed Game
8) Let's Make a Deal
9) The $20,000 Pyramid
10) The Dating Game

Adam

tomobrien

Which Game Show...
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2006, 05:04:30 PM »
[quote name=\'gsfan85\' post=\'127964\' date=\'Aug 18 2006, 03:30 PM\']
Hey everyone,

Here's what I think will happen.  TPIR WILL be number 1, and should be, considering how long is has been on, and the following it has.  

Notice how they plan on showing Greatest game shows #2 and #1 on the 31st of August.  They'll show 2 episodes of the game show that is 2nd greatest, and end with saying "Ladies and gentlemen, you're favorite game show, The Price is Right!"  Then they'll tell the history, show some photos and then Bil will close the show  by saying thanks a lot bla bla bla.
[/quote]

Ladies and gentlemen, a new definition for "anticlimactic."

clemon79

Which Game Show...
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2006, 05:07:05 PM »
[quote name=\'gsfan85\' post=\'127964\' date=\'Aug 18 2006, 01:30 PM\']
This way, they don't show an episode, it's still number 1, and it doesn't seem awkward somewhere in the middle that they aren't showing an episode.
[/quote]
That wouldn't seem awkward? Dude, pass me some of that crack when yer done. It MUST be smooth.

Sonic Whammy

Which Game Show...
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2006, 05:19:39 PM »
You're not kidding, Chris.

BTW, would the old Cullen episodes of Price still be available to GSN? Might be a heck of a switch if they showed one of those if the whole worry with Fremantle is not to overexpose Barker.

Probably not the first to ponder that idea, but it WOULD be a nice compromise. (There, I just jinxed it.)
Brian Sapinski

Just Brian Sapinski... for now

clemon79

Which Game Show...
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2006, 05:26:14 PM »
[quote name=\'Sonic Whammy\' post=\'127968\' date=\'Aug 18 2006, 02:19 PM\']
BTW, would the old Cullen episodes of Price still be available to GSN? Might be a heck of a switch if they showed one of those if the whole worry with Fremantle is not to overexpose Barker.
[/quote]
The worry has nothing to do with overexposing Barker, the worry has everything to do with Fremantle wanting more money for the rights to the show than GSN is willing to pay. In setting up this little stunt, GSN placed themselves directly over the barrel with Fremantle, and you can rest assured they have extracted a hefty sum for the episode of Price that is almost certainly going to air.
Probably not the first to ponder that idea, but it WOULD be a nice compromise. (There, I just jinxed it.)
It would be a perfectly idiotic idea. If they DON'T run a Barker episode of Price, the version and the host that every casual viewer of the show knows and identifies with, they're gonna look ridiculous. Period.

About the only way they dodge that bullet is if Bil stands there, does his little spiel, and says something like "And you can still see Bob Barker and The Price Is Right on CBS even to this day. And because of that, we have a little something special to show you...", and then run a Cullen. But, personally, I think even that makes them look really really stupid.

aaron sica

Which Game Show...
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2006, 05:27:21 PM »
[quote name=\'gsfan85\' post=\'127964\' date=\'Aug 18 2006, 04:30 PM\']
[/quote]

It would not be too awkward to me, because I'm familiar with TPiR on GSN's history, but for the rest of the common folk watching this countdown? Oh, HELL yeah. VERY awkward. Akin to American Top 40 and when they get to #1, a mere mention of the song and then a sign off.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2006, 05:28:07 PM by aaron sica »

gsfan85

Which Game Show...
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2006, 08:29:41 PM »
[quote name=\'aaron sica\' post=\'127970\' date=\'Aug 18 2006, 05:27 PM\']
[quote name=\'gsfan85\' post=\'127964\' date=\'Aug 18 2006, 04:30 PM\']
[/quote]

It would not be too awkward to me, because I'm familiar with TPiR on GSN's history, but for the rest of the common folk watching this countdown? Oh, HELL yeah. VERY awkward. Akin to American Top 40 and when they get to #1, a mere mention of the song and then a sign off.
[/quote]

Being in the middle of the Top 10 and not showing an episode seems a lot stranger than having it be number 1 and not showing one.  If it's number 1, it will be revealed as "the moment people are all waiting for."  People just watching it who don't know what GSN doesn't own, probably will just assume they aren't showing it because it's on every day.  If it's best game show number 2, and they just move along to number 1, it seems to me people may wonder more why it wasn't shown.

Adam

dzinkin

Which Game Show...
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2006, 10:50:27 PM »
[quote name=\'gsfan85\' post=\'127989\' date=\'Aug 18 2006, 08:29 PM\']
Being in the middle of the Top 10 and not showing an episode seems a lot stranger than having it be number 1 and not showing one.  If it's number 1, it will be revealed as "the moment people are all waiting for."  People just watching it who don't know what GSN doesn't own, probably will just assume they aren't showing it because it's on every day.  If it's best game show number 2, and they just move along to number 1, it seems to me people may wonder more why it wasn't shown.
[/quote]
If it's important enough to be #1, it's important enough to be shown.  Most people who would see GSN list a show as #1 but not show an episode will wonder, "Gee, if it's so special why don't they let us see it?"

That's what common sense would suggest, anyway.

tpirfan28

Which Game Show...
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2006, 08:32:17 AM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'127969\' date=\'Aug 18 2006, 05:26 PM\']
It would be a perfectly idiotic idea. If they DON'T run a Barker episode of Price, the version and the host that every casual viewer of the show knows and identifies with, they're gonna look ridiculous. Period.

About the only way they dodge that bullet is if Bil stands there, does his little spiel, and says something like "And you can still see Bob Barker and The Price Is Right on CBS even to this day. And because of that, we have a little something special to show you...", and then run a Cullen. But, personally, I think even that makes them look really really stupid.
[/quote]

What if they showed two eps, one Cullen and one Barker (both half-hour, of course)?  Show the history and its evolution.
When you're at the grocery game and you hear the beep, think of all the fun you could have at "Crazy Rachel's Checkout Counter!"