Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: The invasion has begun!  (Read 6887 times)

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
The invasion has begun!
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2006, 05:18:37 PM »
[quote name=\'SRIV94\' post=\'126402\' date=\'Aug 5 2006, 05:04 PM\']
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'126401\' date=\'Aug 5 2006, 03:48 PM\']
So I'm thinking I might be right here.
[/quote]
You might both be right.  Assuming you get GSN from cable, you might have a cable provider who gives you the East Coast feed.  That would mean that MG75, IGAS and WWTBAM should precede PLAYMANIA starting at 8PM PT.  Is that the case?

Not unheard of to get the feed opposite from the one you theoretically should get.  I have digital cable, but I get the West Coast feed of Sundance rather than the East Coast feed.

Doug
[/quote]

Ah, the wonders of digital cable.

I wonder why in cases like that, the companies don't try to synch the feed up with the correct time.

(And if melman turns out to be wrong, I'll ship the crow to his house. BTW, that quote of mine in your sig, Melman, was intended as an insult, not a compliment.)
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
The invasion has begun!
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2006, 05:20:45 PM »
[quote name=\'SRIV94\' post=\'126402\' date=\'Aug 5 2006, 02:04 PM\']
You might both be right.
[/quote]
Absolutely.
Assuming you get GSN from cable, you might have a cable provider who gives you the East Coast feed.  That would mean that MG75, IGAS and WWTBAM should precede PLAYMANIA starting at 8PM PT.  Is that the case?
That's the case, indeed. You had mentioned that you'd looked at Comcast's Seattle listings, though, and I'm a Comcast customer, so I thought I would check and see what my own experience is, that's all.
Not unheard of to get the feed opposite from the one you theoretically should get.
No, not at all. I was merely pondering, because I don't get a West Coast feed and I am most certainly West Coast (and in a Top 20 market to boot) whether a discrete West Coast feed even existed.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

clemon79

The invasion has begun!
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2006, 05:22:21 PM »
[quote name=\'PYLdude\' post=\'126406\' date=\'Aug 5 2006, 02:18 PM\']
I wonder why in cases like that, the companies don't try to synch the feed up with the correct time.
[/quote]
Because in this case, it's actually for the better than they do it like that. We "get" to see PlayMania live, and as for the rest of it, who really cares what time it's on?

Joe Mello

• has hit the time release button
The invasion has begun!
« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2006, 06:54:55 PM »
I think it's safe to believe that most if not all television stations have multiple feeds.  Ever watch a football game on CBS where the plug 60 Minutes "coming up next except on the West Coast"?

Even if the lineups are aired simultaneously in all four time zones, there's probably a way to break things up.
This signature is currently under construction.

clemon79

The invasion has begun!
« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2006, 08:15:44 PM »
[quote name=\'Joe Mello\' post=\'126415\' date=\'Aug 5 2006, 03:54 PM\']
I think it's safe to believe that most if not all television stations have multiple feeds.
[/quote]
The major networks, yes. In the world of cable television, that's not a safe belief at all. Not even close.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2006, 08:53:41 PM by clemon79 »

Robert Hutchinson

The invasion has begun!
« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2006, 08:35:43 PM »
Notice, for example, that there are several cable networks with original prime-time programming that like to advertise airtimes as, for instance, "8 PM Eastern, 9 PM Pacific". This is another way of saying "we have one feed, but we'll rerun the premiere at midnight on the east coast".
Visit my CB radio at www.twitter.com/ertchin

rugrats1

The invasion has begun!
« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2006, 11:29:00 PM »
[quote name=\'remlap\' post=\'126311\' date=\'Aug 4 2006, 10:11 AM\']
I saw a trial run for this show on a satellite feed.

It was clearly for the WB station because she mentioned it, and was produced by a dutch company because the American host spoke fluent Dutch to her producers.
[/quote]

Apparently in the actual product, she'll be holding greenbacks instead of Euros.

uncamark

The invasion has begun!
« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2006, 01:02:56 PM »
It seems as though only the east coast feed of GSN is on Headend in the Sky (where, if you have digital and GSN's on channel 161, is where the system is receiving the channel).

Considering that there are several digital channels that Comcast is not getting from HITS now (and some, like Current, where they're getting from both HITS and another source), it seems to me that GSN would want to pressure Comcast to start taking west coast feeds on their digital systems ASAP.

scottua1

The invasion has begun!
« Reply #23 on: August 30, 2006, 11:05:26 PM »
And FOX is now getting into the act, with a new 2 hour (commercial-free) show debuting in December on the News Corp-owned My Network affiliates. There will be separate East/West coast shows, airing 1-3pm ET/12-2pm CT (I assume similar times out west).

http://www.tvweek.com/news.cms?newsId=10646

Johnissoevil

The invasion has begun!
« Reply #24 on: August 31, 2006, 03:39:38 AM »
[quote name=\'scottua1\' post=\'129873\' date=\'Aug 30 2006, 11:05 PM\']
And FOX is now getting into the act, with a new 2 hour (commercial-free) show debuting in December on the News Corp-owned My Network affiliates. There will be separate East/West coast shows, airing 1-3pm ET/12-2pm CT (I assume similar times out west).

http://www.tvweek.com/news.cms?newsId=10646
[/quote]

Ah well.  Couldn't be anywhere near as bad as the lame Telenovelas they'll be showing at night. :-)
In loving memory of my father, Curtis Fenner 4/29/44-8/13/15

clemon79

The invasion has begun!
« Reply #25 on: August 31, 2006, 09:32:26 AM »
[quote name=\'Johnissoevil\' post=\'129903\' date=\'Aug 31 2006, 12:39 AM\']
Ah well.  Couldn't be anywhere near as bad as the lame Telenovelas they'll be showing at night. :-)
[/quote]
Frighteningly, I have a feeling that that Fashion House one is gonna take off like Melrose Place did. It has "young, nubile college coeds" written over it.

/now, if you'll excuse me
//fap fap fap

tvwxman

The invasion has begun!
« Reply #26 on: August 31, 2006, 09:35:48 AM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'129919\' date=\'Aug 31 2006, 09:32 AM\']
[/quote]
Frighteningly, I have a feeling that that Fashion House one is gonna take off like Melrose Place did. It has "young, nubile college coeds" written over it.

//fap fap fap
[/quote]

Both "Fashion House" and "Desire" are 13weekandout dramas...They've already been completely shot, edited, and are ready to roll.

Now, if either one is successful (and boy is that a big 'if'), they'll 'spinoff' some of the characters and give them a new show to be part of .... but FH and D won't be on come January in their current form.

/it could be worse
//flap flap flap
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

uncamark

The invasion has begun!
« Reply #27 on: August 31, 2006, 11:45:06 AM »
[quote name=\'tvwxman\' post=\'129922\' date=\'Aug 31 2006, 08:35 AM\']
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'129919\' date=\'Aug 31 2006, 09:32 AM\']
[/quote]

//fap fap fap
[/quote]

Both "Fashion House" and "Desire" are 13weekandout dramas...They've already been completely shot, edited, and are ready to roll.

Now, if either one is successful (and boy is that a big 'if'), they'll 'spinoff' some of the characters and give them a new show to be part of .... but FH and D won't be on come January in their current form.[/quote]

And "Desire" actually got a favorable review from the Chicago Sun-Times' TV critic today:

http://www.suntimes.com/output/elfman/cst-ftr-elf31.html

And I'm assuming that if it clicks on the O&Os, My will roll it out to their affils.

Another Brit bimbo better get her green card in order.

TimK2003

The invasion has begun!
« Reply #28 on: August 31, 2006, 07:25:06 PM »
[quote name=\'scottua1\' post=\'129873\' date=\'Aug 30 2006, 10:05 PM\']
[/quote]

Whew! For a few fleeting moments there, I thought that trainwreck was going to be on our My Network affiliate -- our sister station...

...Then again, it would have taken one of the Jerry Springer double run spots!

Maybe it won't be such a bad idea to suggest airing it...Oh Mr. GM,...

And, ahh,... me and Morgan Fairchild are going, ahh,... camping, yes *camping* this holiday weekend!  Yeah, that's the ticket!  :-P
« Last Edit: August 31, 2006, 07:27:42 PM by TimK2003 »