Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: B&W Overnight Down to ONE Night a Week...  (Read 16794 times)

dad1153

B&W Overnight Down to ONE Night a Week...
« on: August 11, 2006, 09:07:16 PM »
http://www.tvgameshows.net/morenews.htm

Zap2it doesn't confirm Beverly's dates (Aug. 28th shows 'Starface' and 'WML?' at 3AM) but that could change.  This is one of those times I really, really hope the Prof is as way off as he sometimes is known for being.  I love classic B&W gameshows since I discovered GSN back in '03.  To lose them to more repeats of 'Chain Reaction' or the new 'IGAS' would suck Pop Tarts!  BTW, Beverly mentions that the B&W Overnight block would be "replaced" by rotating G-T shows but the example he cites is the short-lived (four episodes) 'What's Going On?'  WTH??!!

PYLW

« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2006, 09:43:29 PM »
Hm...I don't know about this one. I really hope that he is horribly wrong (Not a shock, coming from him...). What makes it worse is that it's Sunday going into Monday.

ilb4ever2000

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2006, 11:38:29 PM »
The words "in an announcement released Thursday" would make me believe this is not something Beverly pulled out of his butt.

BTW, if you read on, he explains why the cigarette-sponsored episodes were pulled.

dad1153

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2006, 11:42:16 PM »
[quote name=\'ilb4ever2000\' post=\'127120\' date=\'Aug 11 2006, 11:38 PM\']
BTW, if you read on, he explains why the cigarette-sponsored episodes were pulled.
[/quote]

Maybe if I write an angry letter explaining that it isn't really a 'game' of any kind GSN would dump 'Love Connection.'  Worth a shot! :-)

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2006, 11:45:26 PM »
The only tiny, tiny positive to take from this is that is appears they're going to let their archvist dig around in the obscurities pile.  Those of you new to the network will get your first (and probably only) shots at Get the Message, What's Going On? (yay!) and hopefully others.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

PYLW

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2006, 01:10:04 AM »
Couldn't Winner Take All air aswell? I think that's a GT show...

Don Howard

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2006, 08:26:37 AM »
[quote name=\'PYLW\' post=\'127129\' date=\'Aug 12 2006, 01:10 AM\']
[/quote]
Not only is it, but I believe it was their first----going back to the program's origins on radio.

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2006, 11:35:59 AM »
[quote name=\'Don Howard\' post=\'127140\' date=\'Aug 12 2006, 08:26 AM\']
[quote name=\'PYLW\' post=\'127129\' date=\'Aug 12 2006, 01:10 AM\']
[/quote]
Not only is it, but I believe it was their first----going back to the program's origins on radio.[/quote]
And it absolutely could be a choice.  They appear to have five episodes - four Cullen and one Barry Gray.  They might have more Barry Gray, I obviously don't care as much about those.  They last aired the Cullen episodes in September, 2004, and I have a lovely DVD to prove it.

PYLW

« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2006, 12:14:23 PM »
That's awesome, I hope they do air them, have never seen the show before. It sounds cool. Was it Cullen's first show, as well as it being the first Goodson-Todman show?
« Last Edit: August 12, 2006, 12:14:55 PM by PYLW »

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2006, 12:22:59 PM »
[quote name=\'PYLW\' post=\'127154\' date=\'Aug 12 2006, 12:14 PM\']
That's awesome, I hope they do air them, have never seen the show before. It sounds cool. Was it Cullen's first show, as well as it being the first Goodson-Todman show?[/quote]
Cullen had hosted local television shows, but this was his first network show.  And yes, it was also G-T's first.  The Encyclopedia says that it was the first game show carried on the CBS television network.  The Encyclopedia also says that Bill was the host when it debuted on the radio, but the Encyclopedia is wrong about that.

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2006, 01:22:53 PM »
[quote name=\'dad1153\' post=\'127109\' date=\'Aug 11 2006, 08:07 PM\']
To lose them to more repeats of 'Chain Reaction' or the new 'IGAS' would suck Pop Tarts! [/quote]
"Suck Pop Tarts"?  What the hell.

One more example of GSN's PR department doing a less than admirable job...if their "source" is a fan-run website; and on no major site...then you really aren't getting the job done.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2006, 02:03:10 PM »
[quote name=\'Modor\' post=\'127161\' date=\'Aug 12 2006, 10:22 AM\']
One more example of GSN's PR department doing a less than admirable job...if their "source" is a fan-run website; and on no major site...then you really aren't getting the job done.
[/quote]
Not disagreeing with your assessment of GSN's promotions department, but please do enlighten us as to what would constitute a major site in this case.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2006, 02:04:44 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'127166\' date=\'Aug 12 2006, 01:03 PM\']
[quote name=\'Modor\' post=\'127161\' date=\'Aug 12 2006, 10:22 AM\']
[/quote]
Not disagreeing with your assessment of GSN's promotions department, but please do enlighten us as to what would constitute a major site in this case.
[/quote]
Something such as Zap2It, TV Guide, Cableword...which, to my knowledge didn't publish this "report".
--Mark
Phil 4:13

cweaver

« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2006, 02:09:16 PM »
[quote name=\'dad1153\' post=\'127109\' date=\'Aug 11 2006, 08:07 PM\']
http://www.tvgameshows.net/morenews.htm

I love classic B&W gameshows since I discovered GSN back in '03.  To lose them to more repeats of 'Chain Reaction' or the new 'IGAS' would suck Pop Tarts!  BTW, Beverly mentions that the B&W Overnight block would be "replaced" by rotating G-T shows but the example he cites is the short-lived (four episodes) 'What's Going On?'  WTH??!!
[/quote]

Hey, what's wrong with sucking Pop Tarts?

I'm not shocked to see this, GSN has been trending lately to be hostile to black and white.  It's evil, it makes people run, their idea of torture is being tied to chairs and forced to watch B&W, "Clockwork Orange" style, etc.  Note how their PR releases implied we might very well see entire black and white episodes unspool on the "50 Greatest" (even played up "You Bet Your Life") but it's obvious now there's no way that's going to happen.  That's what *does* shock me: their occasional releases implying they haven't forgotten those shows, in the face of their actions like these making liars out of themselves.

I'm just immovably convinced they're never going get that 18-34 demo they're so enslaved to, and I kind of resent the implication that those of us who want to see B&W are just ruining their day.  Too bad.  I know it's their network but that doesn't mean I'll take anything they throw at me (less so, someone younger).

And yes I know it's going on everywhere (TV Land is in the middle of a similar shakedown implying hostility to black and white) but that doesn't mean I'm going to conk myself in the forehead and just fall in love with it.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2006, 02:18:56 PM »
[quote name=\'Modor\' post=\'127167\' date=\'Aug 12 2006, 11:04 AM\']
Something such as Zap2It, TV Guide, Cableword...which, to my knowledge didn't publish this "report".
[/quote]
Okay. I'm far from a defender of the Perfesser.

But, please to be explaining to me the difference between the Perfesser taking a press release faxed to him from GSN and making a story out of it, and one of those sites that you mention doing the same thing. Because I assure you, GSN faxed that release to all of those people (and probably more), the source material is absolutely identical, and the other three simply decided (and probably rightly, considering the return on their investment would have been next to nothing) it wasn't important enough to spend man-hours on it.

That said, the one thing GSN could do is set aside a portion of their public web presence to post those releases there. I can't see how that doesn't benefit them, and beyond the initial setup (which is really minimal) it takes next to no work.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe