Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: The Game Show FANS 50 Greatest List  (Read 32282 times)

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
The Game Show FANS 50 Greatest List
« Reply #90 on: August 20, 2006, 12:01:00 AM »
[quote name=\'Modor\' post=\'128146\' date=\'Aug 19 2006, 08:53 PM\']
Hmm.
I'm kinda middle of the road on this.  FWIW, it took about 10 minutes of time on my part, and I came out with a fairly nice list.  Not like we're deciding whether we should put someone in the chair to fry.
[/quote]
Great, and that's you. All I'm saying is, I know where Robert is coming from. I know it's my nature to put a lot of time in on something like this, and it's not something I can dial back, I couldn't NOT do it if I tried.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #91 on: August 20, 2006, 12:03:47 AM »
[quote name=\'Modor\' post=\'128146\' date=\'Aug 19 2006, 11:53 PM\']
Not like we're deciding whether we should put someone in the chair to fry.
They are just game shows, aren't they?[/quote]
OK, fine.  If Mark and I are agreeing on a position, then I certainly need to take another look at it.

I certainly meant not to offend.  This is just my baby, and I hate to see my baby be ignored, especially by people I know to be thoughful and intelligent, and whose contributions I know would only be helpful to the overall project.  I truly thought that every regular contributor to the Forum would want to contribute to the list.  Thought it would be fun, and that whether you wanted to spend hours or wanted to dash one off in a few minutes, you'd want your voice to be counted.  That appears to have been a mistake on my part.

Matt's out-of-date Game Show Compendium
I'm actually thinking of changing the name to that.  Remember, it was pre-Wiki, so these days its usefullness is somewhat reduced.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2006, 12:05:32 AM by Matt Ottinger »
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

ChrisLambert!

• Overthrow, Sister Havana
« Reply #92 on: August 20, 2006, 12:26:54 AM »
I'm going to submit mine at the last minute, because every time I look at the damn thing I tinker with it. (I've actually started revealing it elsewhere, five at a time, just to force myself to commit to larger and larger parts of it.)
@lambertman

WilliamPorygon

« Reply #93 on: August 20, 2006, 12:54:14 AM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'128149\' date=\'Aug 20 2006, 12:03 AM\']
Matt's out-of-date Game Show Compendium
I'm actually thinking of changing the name to that.  Remember, it was pre-Wiki, so these days its usefullness is somewhat reduced.
[/quote]

Heh, I never thought of it like that.  [And really, with Wiki having a game show list page and links on each individual show's page, I can't blame you for not updating it anymore; I couldn't fathom how long you must have spent making and updating that page :) ]

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #94 on: August 20, 2006, 01:42:43 AM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'128149\' date=\'Aug 19 2006, 09:03 PM\']
I truly thought that every regular contributor to the Forum would want to contribute to the list.  Thought it would be fun, and that whether you wanted to spend hours or wanted to dash one off in a few minutes, you'd want your voice to be counted.  That appears to have been a mistake on my part.
[/quote]
It's not your fault at all. I know you mean well, and if I COULD just dash off a quickie list, I would. I think you overlooked the fact that some of us (and Chri$ L. appears to be a member of that group too) don't have the kind of personality that can just write down 25 or 50 names and forget about it. Honestly, for me, putting together a proper, genuine list of length-25-or-longer just feels like a project. And I already have a lot of those (none of which are getting done, but still), and tossing another one onto the stack is just not what I want to do right now.

I just don't like feeling like I'm being badgered because I chose not to take on another project.

For a lot of people, I'm sure it was a lot of fun, and I look forward to seeing what comes of it. But making my own list? Doesn't feel like fun.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2006, 01:44:40 AM by clemon79 »
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

cweaver

« Reply #95 on: August 20, 2006, 02:32:43 AM »
[quote name=\'Modor\' post=\'128146\' date=\'Aug 19 2006, 10:53 PM\']
Hmm.
I'm kinda middle of the road on this.  FWIW, it took about 10 minutes of time on my part, and I came out with a fairly nice list.  Not like we're deciding whether we should put someone in the chair to fry.

They are just game shows, aren't they?
[/quote]

I used to hate putting together lists like this one.  I constantly get requests on other lists I'm on ("name your five favorite Beatle songs") and it drives me crazy because I know every time I answer it, it will be five different songs.  And sometimes I weigh their "mop top" and "long haired" periods differently.  But then I found peace with that, knowing it's just a mental snapshot in that moment in time.  

If I had to do the list over right now (mine was apparently #14) it would probably be a lot different from the one I already sent in.  It would probably still have most of the same shows (and the top three probably wouldn't change) but otherwise it would be different.  Anyone who might feel that way too, perhaps you should just send it in on the next-to-last day.  You'll feel better about having the extra time to consider it.

Me, I grew up in the pre-VCR, pre-TiVo age when the networks always had game shows competing against each other and I had to choose.  Maybe that's why it wasn't so hard for me.

cweaver

« Reply #96 on: August 20, 2006, 02:40:30 AM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'128139\' date=\'Aug 19 2006, 10:36 PM\']
(I never liked the VH-1 remake, because every time they said Whiss! it sounded dirty.)
[/quote]

Thanks for catching that, Matt, doggone it I always forget the exclamation point when I write Whiss!
« Last Edit: August 20, 2006, 02:40:58 AM by cweaver »

TonicBH

« Reply #97 on: August 20, 2006, 05:10:24 AM »
My reason why I'm not partaking is because of the fact that I cannot THINK of fifty game shows off the top of my head. Of course there's lists, but the trick is for me to avoid using non-american game shows.

And to single out which ones would go the top ten, bottom ten, or somewhere in the middle is frickin' hard. Even though nobody will see my results, I just have a hard time thinking if a show like Wheel of Fortune should be higher than, oh say, Tic Tac Dough.

EDIT: and about 45 minutes later, I come up with a list. not 100% satisfied with it, but it's better than me tinkering with it 100 times and getting it in like, minutes before the deadline.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2006, 06:13:36 AM by TonicBH »
You Found a Secret Area: The place where I write about dumb game show and video game stuff occasionally.

cmjb13

« Reply #98 on: August 20, 2006, 06:52:55 AM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'128149\' date=\'Aug 20 2006, 12:03 AM\']
I truly thought that every regular contributor to the Forum would want to contribute to the list.  Thought it would be fun, and that whether you wanted to spend hours or wanted to dash one off in a few minutes, you'd want your voice to be counted.  That appears to have been a mistake on my part.
[/quote]
I kind of felt the same way when I did the TPIR DVD giveaway. While I didn't expect everyone to participate, I was suprised at how few did. I think it had more to do with the thread not being locked on top of the main page. Once it went to page 2, I don't think many people noticed it.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2006, 06:53:31 AM by cmjb13 »
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

DrBear

« Reply #99 on: August 20, 2006, 09:18:18 AM »
Well, as I mentioned, the toughest part for me was ranking the shows in the middle (how do you compare "Whistle or Lose It" to "The Holediggers!"). But it took me about an hour, with a little help from searching this board and using the list of game shows at Wikipedia to help jog my mind of some shows that should be in there that weren't coming to mind. So I'd guess I'm in the middle.
This isn't a plug, but you can ask me about my book.

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #100 on: August 20, 2006, 10:25:44 AM »
[quote name=\'DrBear\' post=\'128176\' date=\'Aug 20 2006, 09:18 AM\'](how do you compare "Whistle or Lose It" to "The Holediggers!")[/quote]
Dammit, I forgot all about Holediggers!  It should be on the list for its 15-minute bonus game alone.

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #101 on: August 20, 2006, 11:46:16 AM »
[quote name=\'cmjb13\' post=\'128175\' date=\'Aug 20 2006, 05:52 AM\']
I kind of felt the same way when I did the TPIR DVD giveaway. While I didn't expect everyone to participate, I was suprised at how few did. I think it had more to do with the thread not being locked on top of the main page. Once it went to page 2, I don't think many people noticed it.
[/quote]
Say, out of curiosity...I know I won...mind sharing who else did?
--Mark
Phil 4:13

Robert Hutchinson

« Reply #102 on: August 20, 2006, 11:46:46 AM »
Just to hit the high points as they relate to me:

Matt, I completely understand where you're coming from. And making up a list like this *would* be fun--I didn't mean "agonize" in that sense. More like agonizing over which flavor of ice cream to get, or which DVD to buy. But as Chris L. said, I would indeed have to spend hours on it, and I already let too many (good and fun and worthwhile) things like this eat up hours upon hours of my time.

I'm not that big, though, honestly, on "having my voice be counted". I rarely feel that way on any sort of fan project.

(Trivia Q: is Whistle or Lose It the only example of a game show where the old episodes were erased out of pure spite?)
Visit my CB radio at www.twitter.com/ertchin

MikeK

• Martha!
« Reply #103 on: August 20, 2006, 12:10:48 PM »
[quote name=\'Modor\' post=\'128183\' date=\'Aug 20 2006, 11:46 AM\']
[quote name=\'cmjb13\' post=\'128175\' date=\'Aug 20 2006, 05:52 AM\']
[/quote]
Say, out of curiosity...I know I won...mind sharing who else did?
[/quote]
I did as well.

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #104 on: August 20, 2006, 12:32:42 PM »
[quote name=\'Robert Hutchinson\' post=\'128184\' date=\'Aug 20 2006, 11:46 AM\'](Trivia Q: is Whistle or Lose It the only example of a game show where the old episodes were erased out of pure spite?)[/quote]
Big LOL from me!