Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: The Game Show FANS 50 Greatest List  (Read 32528 times)

WhammyPower

The Game Show FANS 50 Greatest List
« Reply #60 on: August 16, 2006, 07:55:22 PM »
[quote name=\'TimK2003\' post=\'127698\' date=\'Aug 16 2006, 06:27 PM\']And don't you dare lump Wheel 2000 votes into the Wheel Of Fortune popular vote!  I'll take Rolf over Cyber-Lucy...On second thought, it might be better to Rolf *on* Cyber-Lucy! [/quote]
Don't lump Jep! with Jeopardy!, either.  I've seen enough slop this summer on Big Brother.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2006, 07:56:09 PM by WhammyPower »

Ian Wallis

« Reply #61 on: August 16, 2006, 11:11:12 PM »
Yeah and I counted Family Feud and The Price is Right as the same show because I heard the Feud theme once while Janice was showing off a car.

Just once...it was a pretty frequent thing there for a while.  Maybe they should be counted as the same show  :)
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

The Ol' Guy

« Reply #62 on: August 17, 2006, 09:20:31 AM »
Right on, Dr. Bear! In fact, I hope they don't lump together the kids' version, Shenanigans with the grown-up couples version, He Nanigans! She Nanigans!"

Okay, Matt...I'm done causing trouble...

comicus

« Reply #63 on: August 19, 2006, 01:50:55 AM »
I did mine in 20 minutes.  And it's awesome.  Dunno why so many people are saying they can't pull this off.  

I actually hope Matt posts the entire list, not just the Top 50.

"Let's Make A Deal" and "Big Deal!" with Mark DeCarlo... combine?  *ducks*

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #64 on: August 19, 2006, 02:24:14 AM »
[quote name=\'CountdownRound\' post=\'128003\' date=\'Aug 19 2006, 12:50 AM\']
I did mine in 20 minutes.  And it's awesome.  Dunno why so many people are saying they can't pull this off.  
[/quote]
So, Matt...what's the official count up to?
--Mark
Phil 4:13

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
« Reply #65 on: August 19, 2006, 02:27:32 AM »
I have to second Justin's opinion. I've done mine long ago, but for any stragglers reading who haven't done theirs - it's easier than you think and actually a lot of fun. Plus, you can only help make OUR list that much better by having one more entry.

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

cweaver

« Reply #66 on: August 19, 2006, 04:17:33 AM »
[quote name=\'CountdownRound\' post=\'128003\' date=\'Aug 19 2006, 12:50 AM\']
[/quote]

Did mine in 20 minutes too.  The hardest part was making sure I didn't forget any particular favorites, and in fact the last one I added was an underrated, short-lived classic that I would've hated myself for leaving off.  I had to re-number when I added it.  What's interesting is, Matt indicated I wasn't the first to mention that one.

DrBear

« Reply #67 on: August 19, 2006, 08:38:16 AM »
Considering the varied interests on this group, I think the list of games that AREN'T on somebody's list would be pretty short.
This isn't a plug, but you can ask me about my book.

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #68 on: August 19, 2006, 10:24:21 AM »
[quote name=\'CountdownRound\' post=\'128003\' date=\'Aug 19 2006, 01:50 AM\']
I did mine in 20 minutes.  And it's awesome.  Dunno why so many people are saying they can't pull this off.  [/quote]
There are actually lots of reasons why this can be tricky.  If you're trying to do it without checking other sources for help, you might leave out a big one (as several people have).  Many people take the 'ranking' part very seriously and don't feel comfortable saying that one show is definitely better than another show, and then doing that fifty times.
[quote name=\'CountdownRound\' post=\'128003\' date=\'Aug 19 2006, 01:50 AM\']I actually hope Matt posts the entire list, not just the Top 50.[/quote]
I will definitely post more than fifty, plus I'll make the entire database available (with people's names removed) to anybody who wants it.  I'm finding the top 100 interesting, but after that you start getting into a lot of shows that only one person selected, so their ranking becomes subjective.

[quote name=\'Modor\' post=\'128005\' date=\'Aug 19 2006, 02:24 AM\']So, Matt...what's the official count up to?[/quote]
About sixty, I think, and I know a lot more of you are still working on yours, or haven't gotten to it but plan to.  I think we'll easily have a hundred before we're done, though my original dream of 200 may not be realistic after all.
[quote name=\'DrBear\' post=\'128015\' date=\'Aug 19 2006, 08:38 AM\']
Considering the varied interests on this group, I think the list of games that AREN'T on somebody's list would be pretty short.[/quote]
I think that's true.  In total, there have been 205 shows that have shown up on at least one person's list.

What I'm finding so far is that an average complete list has everything in our top twenty, about 35 of our top fifty, ten more that are in the top 100 and then five that few others have come up with, including maybe one or two that nobody else picked.  

Keep 'em coming!  For details about how to submit your list of the 50 Greatest Game Shows of All Time, go back to the first post in this thread.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

Chuck Sutton

« Reply #69 on: August 19, 2006, 03:09:40 PM »
Matt it seems you plan to go to 100 shows on the combined list.

Do any ties seem likely with a 100 or more voters?  

If there are any ties in point totals will you list them as ties?

Or have you devised a tie breaker system?

I know I am making it more complicated.

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #70 on: August 19, 2006, 03:44:36 PM »
[quote name=\'Chuck Sutton\' post=\'128058\' date=\'Aug 19 2006, 03:09 PM\']Do any ties seem likely with a 100 or more voters?  
If there are any ties in point totals will you list them as ties?
Or have you devised a tie breaker system?[/quote]
Ties might be likely in the bottom 50 of the 100, but I hope nobody loses sleep over which of the two shows tied at #87 really deserves the higher ranking and which will have to settle for #88.  

Ties will be broken with the nod given to the show that received votes from the most individuals, regardless of ranking.  Ties after that will stay ties.

Robert Hutchinson

« Reply #71 on: August 19, 2006, 04:10:58 PM »
In the event of a tie, both shows get to come back next year . . . wait, what were we talking about?

Matt pretty much encapsulated my reasons for not submitting a list. I would have trouble sorting out the top ten, much less deciding whether The All New Not a Real Game Show should be 38th or 39th. And my preferences are skewed--I would probably want to list a bunch of word games, followed by a bunch of quizzes, followed by a bunch of kids' shows (I was in Nickelodeon's target audience when the Double Dare juggernaut came to town).
Visit my CB radio at www.twitter.com/ertchin

chad1m

« Reply #72 on: August 19, 2006, 04:25:03 PM »
Well, I sent in my vote. This was a lot more difficult than I had expected. For anyone who cares, what I did was get a really long list of game shows. Then I deleted all the shows I knew I definitely wasn't going to put on my list, so I had a smaller one to work with. Then I whittled my list down to fifty, and then I ordered them. A lot easier I think than just reaching in the ol' memory bank.

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #73 on: August 19, 2006, 04:32:08 PM »
[quote name=\'Robert Hutchinson\' post=\'128086\' date=\'Aug 19 2006, 04:10 PM\']Matt pretty much encapsulated my reasons for not submitting a list. I would have trouble sorting out the top ten, much less deciding whether The All New Not a Real Game Show should be 38th or 39th. [/quote]
While I respect that reasoning, I'm still urging everybody to do their best and submit something.  Keep in mind, there is no right answer.  Put The All New Not a Real Game Show in the 38 spot, and follow it with The One I Liked More Than Most People But Still Knew Was Crap in 39th.  It'll be OK.  Same with the Top Ten.  You must have a pretty good sense of which ones they should be, just assign them a spot.

I'd hate to miss out on the opinions of an intelligent, thoughtful contributor because he "overthought" the exercise, while at the same time getting entries that clearly didn't have a lot of thought put into them at all.  And believe me, there have been a few of those.

Brandon Brooks

« Reply #74 on: August 19, 2006, 04:36:10 PM »
[quote name=\'Robert Hutchinson\' post=\'128086\' date=\'Aug 19 2006, 03:10 PM\']
And my preferences are skewed--I would probably want to list a bunch of word games, followed by a bunch of quizzes, followed by a bunch of kids' shows (I was in Nickelodeon's target audience when the Double Dare juggernaut came to town).
[/quote]
You know, I had this exact problem; my preferences are skewed similarly.  I have a fondness for Double Dare, Fun House and Finders Keepers, and all probably weren't the best game shows, but all are on my list.  

However, I would strongly suggest you come up with one anyway.  It was fun figuring out what I liked.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2006, 04:36:33 PM by Brandon Brooks »