Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: The Game Show FANS 50 Greatest List  (Read 32262 times)

Matt Ottinger

The Game Show FANS 50 Greatest List
« on: August 09, 2006, 06:41:18 PM »
As the 50 GSN shows have all but been determined (see GSN thread), but before we find out how the ones at the top of their list rank, I thought it might be fun to see if we can do any better.  So here's how we're going to do it:

- Come up with your own list of the 50 Greatest Game Shows of All Time.  If you can't or won't come up with fifty, do as many as you can, but have at least 25.

- Rank them in order, starting with number ONE.  No wishy-washy ties.  It's your opinion.  Have one.

- E-MAIL your list to me at ottinger@acd.net, with the header "GSF 50 Greatest".  Do NOT post your list to the Forum (yet).  Posted lists will be deleted, and only lists that have been e-mailed to me will be counted.  After the results are announced, you can post your own list to show how it compared.

- Identify yourself somewhere in your e-mail by your Forum user name so I know who you are.  I will keep all lists confidential.  One list per member, please.  If I see you trying to stuff the ballot box, none of your votes will count.

- Scoring will be done the way the college polls work, with 50 points for first place, 49 for second and so on all the way down to one point for #50.  Just as with the college polls, the total points and the total number of #1 votes will be announced.

- For the purposes of this list, all versions of a given show should be considered together.  In other words, do not give Cullen's TPIR one spot on your list and Barker's TPIR another.  Consider TPIR as a whole.  Likewise for any show that has had multiple versions and remakes, including all the various Passwords.  I know this could be controversial, but that's just how it's going to be.  In the case of duplications on your list, accidental or deliberate, the higher ranking will count, the lower one will be thrown out and everything else on your list will move up one.

You decide what criteria to use to pick your 50 Greatest, including your own decision as to what is or is not a game show.  Remember, though, that we're looking for the 50 greatest.  Not the 50 that you remember from your childhood, and not the 50 that you think will make you look smart because no one else will think of them.  You have sixty years of programming to choose from, and we consider this forum to be a pretty well-educated bunch when it comes to game shows.  Prove it.

I'm hoping to get at least a hundred responses, which ought to be a decent cross-section of internet game show fandom, but I wouldn't mind getting twice that many or more.  Balloting will end on Monday, August 28 so that I can have time to compile the results and announce them when GSN gets to their #1 choice on Thursday, August 31st.

Get to work!
« Last Edit: August 09, 2006, 06:42:13 PM by Matt Ottinger »
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2006, 06:54:30 PM »
Just to let you guys know, about ten minutes in and I've already received my first entry.  Way to go!
« Last Edit: August 09, 2006, 06:54:53 PM by Matt Ottinger »

HairMetalLives

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2006, 08:19:09 PM »
Question (potentially dumb question):

What about the two Double Dares (Trebeck & Summers/Harris)? Are they lumped together or separately?

sshuffield70

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2006, 08:21:35 PM »
[quote name=\'HairMetalLives\' post=\'126776\' date=\'Aug 9 2006, 07:19 PM\']

What about the two Double Dares (Trebeck & Summers/Harris)? Are they lumped together or separately?
[/quote]

Since the two would be completely unrelated, I would think separate entries would be permitted by identifying host or network, Matt?

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2006, 08:24:45 PM »
[quote name=\'HairMetalLives\' post=\'126776\' date=\'Aug 9 2006, 05:19 PM\']
[/quote]
They are not "versions of a given show." They are completely different shows that happen to share the same name. Count 'em separately.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

HairMetalLives

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2006, 08:27:22 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'126778\' date=\'Aug 9 2006, 05:24 PM\']They are not "versions of a given show." They are completely different shows that happen to share the same name. Count 'em separately.[/quote]

That's what I thought, just making sure. Thanks, Mr. Lemon.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2006, 08:27:46 PM by HairMetalLives »

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2006, 08:28:31 PM »
[quote name=\'sshuffield70\' post=\'126777\' date=\'Aug 9 2006, 08:21 PM\']
[quote name=\'HairMetalLives\' post=\'126776\' date=\'Aug 9 2006, 07:19 PM\']

[/quote]

Since the two would be completely unrelated, I would think separate entries would be permitted by identifying host or network, Matt?
[/quote]
Yes, those are two different shows.  Frankly, if you don't specify, I'm going to assume you're talking about the kids' game.  Please specify if you mean the Trebek quiz.  

Also, the three Break the Bank formats were unique.  Based on what I know of the group, unless you specify I'm going to assume you're referring to the 70s celebrity game with the moneybags.

I knew this was going to get tricky...

Monarx

« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2006, 09:03:26 PM »
Formats from all around the world are eligible, right?
The countdown to 100 ended awhile ago, why are you still here?

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2006, 09:37:31 PM »
[quote name=\'Monarx\' post=\'126790\' date=\'Aug 9 2006, 09:03 PM\']
Formats from all around the world are eligible, right?[/quote]
I wasn't specific about that, but most everybody so far has limited themselves to American game shows, which was after all the scope of the GSN list.  I would suggest you stick to the good old USA.

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2006, 01:47:25 AM »
Some interesting facts from the first day of submissions.  No specifics, because I don't want to influence the voting.

In the fourteen submissions received so far, a total of eight different shows have received at least one first-place vote.

Eleven shows appear on every single ballot.  One of those eleven shows that every single person so far has mentioned will not appear on GSN's list.  It's currently 21st on ours.

Five shows on the GSN list have yet to receive a single vote from our fourteen submissions so far.

We're currently trackng 143 shows that have been mentioned so far, including dozens that only appeared on one ballot.

Keep 'em coming!

Robert Hutchinson

« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2006, 02:15:23 AM »
I couldn't even begin to compile a list for this project, but I do look forward to seeing the results.
Visit my CB radio at www.twitter.com/ertchin

Craig Karlberg

« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2006, 04:12:39 AM »
I'm anxious to see what this list turns out to be.  Just one little question:

Is it possible to put the # of 1st place votes besides each show that received them in parenthesis just like I see them on college polls?  I wouldn't be surprised to see a seperate columm for point totals just like those polls.

WhammyPower

« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2006, 08:35:54 AM »
[quote name=\'Robert Hutchinson\' post=\'126864\' date=\'Aug 10 2006, 01:15 AM\'] I couldn't even begin to compile a list for this project, but I do look forward to seeing the results. [/quote]
I'm on your boat.

Don Howard

« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2006, 11:19:33 AM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'126860\' date=\'Aug 10 2006, 01:47 AM\']
Eleven shows appear on every single ballot.  One of those eleven shows that every single person so far has mentioned will not appear on GSN's list.  It's currently 21st on ours.
[/quote]
Quizbusters?
This brings on a question. Would It's Academic, Academic Challenge, etc. be eligible?

Monarx

« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2006, 07:28:11 PM »
[quote name=\'Craig Karlberg\' post=\'126870\' date=\'Aug 10 2006, 04:12 AM\']
Is it possible to put the # of 1st place votes besides each show that received them in parenthesis just like I see them on college polls?  I wouldn't be surprised to see a seperate columm for point totals just like those polls.
[/quote]

[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'126768\' date=\'Aug 9 2006, 06:41 PM\']- Scoring will be done the way the college polls work, with 50 points for first place, 49 for second and so on all the way down to one point for #50.  Just as with the college polls, the total points and the total number of #1 votes will be announced.[/quote]

I just sent my list, by the way.
The countdown to 100 ended awhile ago, why are you still here?