Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Woolery / Early Sajak 'Wheel' episodes  (Read 22799 times)

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Woolery / Early Sajak 'Wheel' episodes
« Reply #30 on: August 09, 2006, 05:22:17 PM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Fiono Coyne\' post=\'126748\' date=\'Aug 9 2006, 02:05 PM\']
If that be the case, then I would hope that this incredulity doesn't apply to many people other than you.
[/quote]
FWIW, Jamie, I didn't even know anything about this until Seth dredged it up, it hasn't changed my opinion of you one iota, and I could be quite content not to hear about it again.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Chelsea Thrasher

« Reply #31 on: August 09, 2006, 05:31:19 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'126758\' date=\'Aug 9 2006, 04:22 PM\']
and I could be quite content not to hear about it again.
[/quote]

And I am quite content to never bring it up again. :-)

aaron sica

« Reply #32 on: August 09, 2006, 11:31:47 PM »
[quote name=\'Ian Wallis\' post=\'126731\' date=\'Aug 9 2006, 02:56 PM\']
I guess a lot of us are in the same boat.  I did that too - and to think what I erased in the early years of owning a VCR  :(
[/quote]

Some of the things I regret taping over are:

2nd episode of "Press Your Luck" with original commercials
FAM's game show block from Jan 2, 1989
MG90 entire first week w/o/c and 1st episode of second week

And one thing I'd love to have....Something obtained purely by chance on a "sick day" from school (Thanksgiving Eve 1989), an episode of "Sally Jessy Raphael" - featuring game show legends Kitty Carlisle, Peggy Cass, Gene Rayburn and also Soupy Sales. The show featured two MG clips - one of Gene reading a question, and a promo I've not seen since for MG (syndie): "Gene Rayburn...the face that launched a thousand quips".

dzinkin

« Reply #33 on: August 13, 2006, 01:52:43 AM »
[quote name=\'Seth Thrasher\' post=\'126760\' date=\'Aug 9 2006, 05:31 PM\']
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'126758\' date=\'Aug 9 2006, 04:22 PM\']
and I could be quite content not to hear about it again.
[/quote]
And I am quite content to never bring it up again. :-)
[/quote]
For the record, although I can't find the post right now (unusual for the "head Googler," I know), I'm fairly certain that a while back, Jamie posted a long, detailed message on ATGS listing the various excuses he'd given for his failure to complete trades, apologizing both for said failure and for his excuses, and promising to do better in the future.  Since then, I've heard nothing to suggest that Jamie has gone back on his word (in contrast to a couple of folks whose names I won't give here), and even if he didn't intend for it to be so, I think his "Page O'Clips" has been a fine way for him to prove that he's changed.  I don't think that someone who's failed to share his game show goodies one-on-one in the past can change much more than by sharing them with pretty much everyone.

I have often pointed to Jamie -- along with Chris "GSCrank" Jackson and B.J. Brown, among others -- as proof that it is indeed possible for scammers, liars, and other assorted miscreants in the game show community to change their ways and become solid citizens.  "I can't help myself" and similar excuses don't carry much weight with me when such clear evidence exists to demonstrate otherwise.

Blanquepage

• "Pacman cereal: it eats YOU!" - Geoff, Starcade
« Reply #34 on: August 13, 2006, 02:06:46 AM »
I have often pointed to Jamie -- along with Chris "GSCrank" Jackson and B.J. Brown, among others -- as proof that it is indeed possible for scammers, liars, and other assorted miscreants in the game show community to change their ways and become solid citizens.

Geez, those ATGS days feel like they were an eternity ago. Wow, I was a miscreant. Scary.

Any posts with my name on them on ATGS were that of a maturity-lacking irresponsible angsty teen.  
Now I'm an adult. Simple as that.
And I'm glad you can't find that post either. It spares me the pain of reading it.

--Jamie
« Last Edit: August 13, 2006, 02:10:24 AM by Jimmy Fiono Coyne »

cweaver

« Reply #35 on: August 13, 2006, 10:00:23 AM »
[quote name=\'mitchgroff\' post=\'126699\' date=\'Aug 9 2006, 06:45 AM\']
Oddly enough, on two separate occasions when I was looking for something else, I've found two VHS tapes chock full of game shows at my local Goodwill. Of course, it was mostly Wheel from 1992-93, but that's still not a bad find for a dollar. All the fun local station ads and whatnot.
[/quote]

There are a number of tapes floating around the trading circuit where someone just rolled a beta tape on NBC's daytime lineup in the late '70s and early '80s and managed to capture Wheel of Fortune, The Hollywood Squares, Card Sharks, Blockbusters and some other goodies.  (Also non-games ranging from Donahue to The Doctors.)  And they survived all these years.  Why they did this, I don't know.  

But here's what's really interesting: When NBC cancelled The Hollywood Squares, another New York station ran it in the mornings. Whoever taped these shows switched over to record the Vegas-era Squares and then switched back to NBC's lineup.  They managed to save several more Squares in the process but we also miss out on Las Vegas Gambit.

The moral of this story is: you never know what will turn up on an old tape.  Just because some of us didn't save our shows that we taped doesn't mean someone else didn't do it.

aaron sica

« Reply #36 on: August 13, 2006, 12:45:59 PM »
[quote name=\'cweaver\' post=\'127224\' date=\'Aug 13 2006, 10:00 AM\']
There are a number of tapes floating around the trading circuit where someone just rolled a beta tape on NBC's daytime lineup in the late '70s and early '80s and managed to capture Wheel of Fortune, The Hollywood Squares, Card Sharks, Blockbusters and some other goodies.  (Also non-games ranging from Donahue to The Doctors.)  And they survived all these years.  Why they did this, I don't know.  
[/quote]

Those were taped off WNBC-4; there are also some ones floating around that were taped off WABC-7. The WABC-7 ones that I've seen are a syndie ep of "The Gong Show" and the first wee bit of "Mork and Mindy". Also floating around is one that ran from approx. 10:10am-11:50am from WABC-7. This includes the last part of the 7 Morning Movie; a complete episode of "Laverne & Shirley" from its daytime rerun (with a weird edit in the theme I've never seen), and the first 20 minutes of "Family Feud".

Ian Wallis

« Reply #37 on: August 14, 2006, 10:31:54 AM »
Also floating around is one that ran from approx. 10:10am-11:50am from WABC-7. This includes the last part of the 7 Morning Movie; a complete episode of "Laverne & Shirley" from its daytime rerun (with a weird edit in the theme I've never seen), and the first 20 minutes of "Family Feud".

Ahh....ABC.   It makes you shake your head sometimes with some of the things they did in daytime back then!  I can't recall the weird edit - I was never a fan of Laverne and Shirley - but they did a few odd things with the daytime Happy Days reruns back then too, such as running the third season opening over the first two seasons shows, where "Rock Around the Clock" was the opening theme.

There are a number of tapes floating around the trading circuit where someone just rolled a beta tape on NBC's daytime lineup in the late '70s and early '80s and managed to capture Wheel of Fortune, The Hollywood Squares, Card Sharks, Blockbusters and some other goodies.

It's a good thing they did.  Some more Trebek High Rollers and All-Star Secrets recently turned up.  The A-SS episode is the only one with clear video out of the three we have.  OK, maybe it's not the greatest show in the world, but it's still nice to have one with clear video!
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #38 on: August 14, 2006, 10:54:54 AM »
[quote name=\'Ian Wallis\' post=\'127329\' date=\'Aug 14 2006, 07:31 AM\']
The A-SS episode is the only one with clear video out of the three we have.
[/quote]
ASS. How appropriate. ;)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Ian Wallis

« Reply #39 on: August 14, 2006, 11:05:54 AM »
ASS. How appropriate. ;)

Yes, that's why I put the - between the A and the S.  I didn't know if I could say ASS on this board.  Wait...I just did...  :)
NEW LOCATION!!!

aaron sica

« Reply #40 on: August 14, 2006, 11:25:46 AM »
[quote name=\'Ian Wallis\' post=\'127329\' date=\'Aug 14 2006, 10:31 AM\']
Ahh....ABC.   It makes you shake your head sometimes with some of the things they did in daytime back then!  I can't recall the weird edit - I was never a fan of Laverne and Shirley - but they did a few odd things with the daytime Happy Days reruns back then too, such as running the third season opening over the first two seasons shows, where "Rock Around the Clock" was the opening theme.
[/quote]

It had to do with the theme, much like you said HD did. I will look when I get home, but they cut some lyrics out of the theme. It also looked like the episodes looked dated and grainy as well, almost like a color kinescope - were the HD repeats the same way?

ObGameShow: I remember reading somewhere (maybe here?) that one episode that was NOT in the HD daytime rotation was the one where Richie went on that fixed game show.

Ian Wallis

« Reply #41 on: August 14, 2006, 11:45:15 AM »
It had to do with the theme, much like you said HD did. I will look when I get home, but they cut some lyrics out of the theme. It also looked like the episodes looked dated and grainy as well, almost like a color kinescope - were the HD repeats the same way?

ObGameShow: I remember reading somewhere (maybe here?) that one episode that was NOT in the HD daytime rotation was the one where Richie went on that fixed game show.

Oddly enough, I'm pretty sure I remember one episode that aired with the "Rock Around the Clock" theme in daytime; but yes, as I recall they looked pretty grainy.  Not at all like the clear prime time episodes.

As for the one not in rotation, I'll check my old TVGuides, but I thought it was the one where Fonzie was going to marry the stripper.  I'm pretty sure I saw the listing for the game show one during the daytime, but I'll try to check when I have some time.

Another odd thing that ABC did was they didn't run the episodes in chronological order.  Most of the other daytime reruns on any of the networks were.  Maybe it had something to do with the fact that when Happy Days went daytime, it only had two seasons under its belt.
NEW LOCATION!!!

aaron sica

« Reply #42 on: August 14, 2006, 11:55:41 AM »
[quote name=\'Ian Wallis\' post=\'127340\' date=\'Aug 14 2006, 11:45 AM\']
Another odd thing that ABC did was they didn't run the episodes in chronological order.  Most of the other daytime reruns on any of the networks were.  Maybe it had something to do with the fact that when Happy Days went daytime, it only had two seasons under its belt.
[/quote]

Yup, sounds about right. Curt's page lists it as joining the ABC daytime lineup on 9/1/75, right before its third season. And it's been so long since daytime reruns were on, but I would imagine it was like syndicated reruns where the current season's eps wouldn't air in the rotation. I can't imagine for the first year or so that it took too terribly long to run through the entire series, much like when "Three's a Crowd" ran on the daytime schedule 10 years later.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2006, 11:56:05 AM by aaron sica »

cweaver

« Reply #43 on: August 14, 2006, 11:00:49 PM »
[quote name=\'aaron sica\' post=\'127238\' date=\'Aug 13 2006, 11:45 AM\']
Those were taped off WNBC-4; there are also some ones floating around that were taped off WABC-7. [/quote]

...And for the record, the two lineups I have were taped off WNBC.  But the Hollywood Squares channel switch was to and from WPIX, Channel 11, which showed the "Vegas" Squares in the mornings.

BTW the WNBC lineups included a cool syndicated nighttime Family Feud promo with Richard Dawson.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2006, 11:02:45 PM by cweaver »

aaron sica

« Reply #44 on: August 14, 2006, 11:09:29 PM »
[quote name=\'cweaver\' post=\'127437\' date=\'Aug 14 2006, 11:00 PM\']

...And for the record, the two lineups I have were taped off WNBC.  But the Hollywood Squares channel switch was to and from WPIX, Channel 11, which showed the "Vegas" Squares in the mornings.
[/quote]

I remember that as it aired, too; IIRC, they aired from 10am-11am, with the Vegas Squares first and then $50,000 Pyramid following. As a small child I remember not liking the Vegas Squares because they kept track with X's and O's on the scoreboard instead of an actual score.