Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Woolery / Early Sajak 'Wheel' episodes  (Read 22821 times)

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Woolery / Early Sajak 'Wheel' episodes
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2006, 06:50:12 PM »
[quote name=\'Seth Thrasher\' post=\'126653\' date=\'Aug 8 2006, 03:45 PM\']
As short as I can make it
It's really more of a thing gained from the trading side of the game show community.
[/quote]
Ah. Yet another reason why I don't touch that stuff with a ten-foot pole. Not because of the potential for blowoff, but I just don't need the drama.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Chelsea Thrasher

« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2006, 06:57:31 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'126654\' date=\'Aug 8 2006, 05:50 PM\']
Not because of the potential for blowoff, but I just don't need the drama.
[/quote]

One of the reasons I've done it exactly once in three years, and that was a quickie with a good friend.  Certainly not fond of it myself.

Anyway, to get back on topic: If it IS true, then it's a damn shame.   I'd long ago consigned myself to reality that the daytime shows probably weren't going to get reaired again, but to know they really are gone would definitely be sad.  And that the majority of early Sajak episodes are gone too is, at least from my perspective the bigger suprise.

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2006, 08:07:34 PM »
WOF has enough existing shows that it doesn't really bother me too much.  I'd rather see the Bob Stewart shows of the '70's.  I would place the responsibility of saving shows on the producer.  Merv saved his talk show (now on DVD), but not WOF, no biggie.  Columbia Pictures cared enough to save Enberg's "Perfect Match," "All About Faces" and "Fun Factory," all of which fewer than 10 people on the planet ever want to see.  

What about network airchecks?  Isn't that how ABC Feud exists?
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

CherryPizza

« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2006, 09:49:57 PM »
Apparently Reg Grundy has a large 'personal stash' of tapes of just about everything that his company did until he sold it in the mid-90s, and now he's employing someone to convert his old tapes to DVD.

This is separate from any network or production company archive, and it was apparently just saved as part of his personal passion for his product. He doesn't own the copyright to his programs anymore, but it's still kinda refreshing to know that everything exists somewhere out there.

Shame that the people in charge of the Woolery/early Sajak eps of Wheel didn't have the same passion

Chelsea Thrasher

« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2006, 10:04:24 PM »
In some fifty-something's closet somewhere out there in Podunk, NE, I would *not* be surprised if there's a huge stash of 20-25 year old VHS tapes of the late 70s/early 80s episodes.   Of the couple hundred million people alive at the time, someone at least *could have* had the passion for the show to record them.

Allstar87

« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2006, 01:48:11 AM »
[quote name=\'Seth Thrasher\' post=\'126668\' date=\'Aug 8 2006, 10:04 PM\']
In some fifty-something's closet somewhere out there in Podunk, NE, I would *not* be surprised if there's a huge stash of 20-25 year old VHS tapes of the late 70s/early 80s episodes.   Of the couple hundred million people alive at the time, someone at least *could have* had the passion for the show to record them.
[/quote]

My thoughts exactly; it was that mindset that led me to find 8 Wheel episodes at my grandmother's house. (Don't get too excited though; the oldest was from 1991.) I'm sure these rarities are out there; it's just a matter of finding them.

Johnissoevil

« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2006, 03:07:33 AM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Fiono Coyne\' post=\'126569\' date=\'Aug 7 2006, 09:28 PM\']
Any speculation that the Woolery episodes / early Sajak episodes are hidden in a vault can be put to rest.
NBC did NOT destroy the Woolery run. The ridiculous notion that Merv himself destroyed Chuck's episodes out of spite is false as well.

The official word, as per a representative of King World, is this: Woolery's version and some of Sajak's early years are gone for the same reason as ABC Password. It was the company policy to use and reuse the tapes, a practice which continued until the 80s.
Simply put, the masters ARE gone because they taped over 'em.

Fin.

--Jamie
[/quote]

Wow.  This makes me wonder how E! got a hold of the video clips of the very first Woolery episode.  Merv must have at least saved clips or something....
In loving memory of my father, Curtis Fenner 4/29/44-8/13/15

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2006, 04:29:10 AM »
[quote name=\'Allstar87\' post=\'126686\' date=\'Aug 9 2006, 01:48 AM\']
[quote name=\'Seth Thrasher\' post=\'126668\' date=\'Aug 8 2006, 10:04 PM\']
[/quote]

My thoughts exactly; it was that mindset that led me to find 8 Wheel episodes at my grandmother's house. (Don't get too excited though; the oldest was from 1991.) I'm sure these rarities are out there; it's just a matter of finding them.
[/quote]

I kinda doubt too many people were taping game shows with any regularity in the early '80's.  I got my first VCR for $700 in 1984 and as I recall, one VHS tape was $15.00 and the only store that sold blank tapes was the appliance place where I got the machine.  You couldn't just run to the drug store and get a ten pack of tapes for $10.00 back then.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

tvmitch

« Reply #23 on: August 09, 2006, 07:45:52 AM »
Oddly enough, on two separate occasions when I was looking for something else, I've found two VHS tapes chock full of game shows at my local Goodwill. Of course, it was mostly Wheel from 1992-93, but that's still not a bad find for a dollar. All the fun local station ads and whatnot.
You should follow me on Twitter

ChrisLambert!

• Overthrow, Sister Havana
« Reply #24 on: August 09, 2006, 08:59:33 AM »
Although I would believe somebody out there was taping these shows in the 70s, the question would be whether they kept them. Even in 1986, tapes were so expensive that I often taped the USA reruns of "Liar's Club" over themselves (I could've had about a dozen eps rather than the two I ended up keeping). Tapes were $6 each then; imagine how much they were in 1978.

I can see Griffin making a special effort to keep the premiere from getting re-used... if nothing else than to have a ready-made pilot for nighttime syndication pitches.  

(I'd pay through the nose for the chance to rescue the Bill Cullen ep from the ether. That and at least one ep of Garagiola "Sale.")
@lambertman

uncamark

« Reply #25 on: August 09, 2006, 12:13:48 PM »
[quote name=\'ChrisLambert!\' post=\'126704\' date=\'Aug 9 2006, 07:59 AM\']
Although I would believe somebody out there was taping these shows in the 70s, the question would be whether they kept them. Even in 1986, tapes were so expensive that I often taped the USA reruns of "Liar's Club" over themselves (I could've had about a dozen eps rather than the two I ended up keeping). Tapes were $6 each then; imagine how much they were in 1978.

I can see Griffin making a special effort to keep the premiere from getting re-used... if nothing else than to have a ready-made pilot for nighttime syndication pitches. [/quote]

And to send out to the overseas licensees to show them how the show is done.  I'm sure sample tapes are sent to every format licensee along with the bible and other goodies.

And in the case of those old "Winner Take All" shows, I presume they exist only because G-T wanted a sample to show to advertisers (both of those eps were sustaining, or unsponsored).

Blanquepage

• "Pacman cereal: it eats YOU!" - Geoff, Starcade
« Reply #26 on: August 09, 2006, 02:50:23 PM »
Because a second person other than yourself around here can provide confirmation of this - that you actually spoke to a KW rep?

Actually, yes, I am in direct correspondence with a KW representative.
I've never supplied false information to this board in an attempt to deceive the masses. This is not a false claim, either. If you must know, the said rep and I are corresponding due to his interest in acquring material from my library for use on assorted upcoming specials.

As for Seth's other points, he and I will relegate the matter it to private conversation as it's more of a years old personal issue. Without getting too much into it, Seth is indeed correct in noting that I have a long outstanding trade with him as I do with Chuck Donegan. That's pretty much why I've retreated from making any new trades on trading circuit and just elected to make Page O' Clips to share what I've got at my own accord, which I haven't even had time to update for that matter.
I was a lousy trader who had a habit of bogging himself down with multiple trades and taking forever to complete them. Amends are in the process of being made, however, as Chuck and Seth are 2 of the 4 people I'm planning on sending VHS tapes from my DVD transfers.

know Jamie deep down IS a good guy

Er, gee, thanks.

--Jamie
« Last Edit: August 09, 2006, 03:33:23 PM by Jimmy Fiono Coyne »

Ian Wallis

« Reply #27 on: August 09, 2006, 02:56:39 PM »
Although I would believe somebody out there was taping these shows in the 70s, the question would be whether they kept them.

Another question would be does that person want to get involved with sending out tapes.  I've been trading for 10 years, and although I've been burned twice, for the most part it's been a lot of fun.  But if you have someone out there who has tapes of late '70s games that they saved and may not know about the "trading curcuit", convincing them to make copies and send them to you may not be that easy.

I'm sure there is a lot of other stuff out there but maybe some of those people aren't "internet savvy"; still, with more stuff becoming available all the time, hopefully we'll continue to uncover some gems.

Even in 1986, tapes were so expensive that I often taped the USA reruns of "Liar's Club" over themselves (I could've had about a dozen eps rather than the two I ended up keeping). Tapes were $6 each then; imagine how much they were in 1978.

I guess a lot of us are in the same boat.  I did that too - and to think what I erased in the early years of owning a VCR  :(
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

Chelsea Thrasher

« Reply #28 on: August 09, 2006, 03:56:36 PM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Fiono Coyne\' post=\'126730\' date=\'Aug 9 2006, 01:50 PM\']

Actually, yes, I am in direct correspondence with a KW representative.
I've never supplied false information to this board in an attempt to deceive the masses. This is not a false claim, either. If you must know, the said rep and I are corresponding due to his interest in acquring material from my library for use on assorted upcoming specials.

[/quote]

FWIW, at least regarding the KW thing, I have absolutely zero reason to doubt that you say, but I'd hope we can both agree that after 4 years, it's gotten kind of hard to believe you.  Still, without evidence to the contrary, then I'm inclined to believe you - at least about the KW thing.  And it IS a damned shame.   (And congrats on the last part, BTW)

Blanquepage

• "Pacman cereal: it eats YOU!" - Geoff, Starcade
« Reply #29 on: August 09, 2006, 05:05:09 PM »
but I'd hope we can both agree that after 4 years, it's gotten kind of hard to believe you.

If that be the case, then I would hope that this incredulity doesn't apply to many people other than you.

--Jamie