Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Now that I've seen Chain Reaction and Starface in full  (Read 19271 times)

Moe Train

Now that I've seen Chain Reaction and Starface in full
« Reply #90 on: August 15, 2006, 12:21:50 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'127469\' date=\'Aug 15 2006, 09:32 AM\']
[quote name=\'Moe Train\' post=\'127455\' date=\'Aug 14 2006, 11:35 PM\']
Man, some of you guys are brutal with the comments!
[/quote]
Chief, you haven't seen the half of it. :)
[/quote]

Uh huh... You guys were thinking I was making excuses for not tripling!  I still came home a few thousand dollars richer!

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #91 on: August 15, 2006, 12:24:56 PM »
[quote name=\'Moe Train\' post=\'127489\' date=\'Aug 15 2006, 09:21 AM\']
Uh huh... You guys were thinking I was making excuses for not tripling!
[/quote]
The point is, whether you realize it or not, that's totally been the vibe you've been giving off. Which is why I asked, because I was interested in your thought process and suspected that Dylan's interjection might end up being an issue.
I still came home a few thousand dollars richer!
And after Uncle Sam takes his cut, you should have enough left over to take the gang out to Red Robin. ;)

/is Red Robin too regional of a reference?
« Last Edit: August 15, 2006, 12:25:26 PM by clemon79 »
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Moe Train

« Reply #92 on: August 15, 2006, 12:44:52 PM »
And yeah.. the "richer" comment was tongue in cheek.  Our winnings basically paid for my stay in NYC!  Besides, being on the show was much more about the awesome experience and not the money.  The money was just a bonus.  I had 2 of the most amazing days of my life while in the city.

You have NO IDEA what kind of awesome celebration we had.  From the moment we stepped out of the studio, we got right into a cab, which took us to Little Italy.  We started off with about 10 bottles of wine at dinner for 6 of us...  That was just a start.  BTW, I've never been to Red Robin, but I heard they have some amazing burgers!
« Last Edit: August 15, 2006, 12:47:54 PM by Moe Train »

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #93 on: August 16, 2006, 01:10:00 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'127492\' date=\'Aug 15 2006, 11:24 AM\']
/is Red Robin too regional of a reference?
[/quote]
Don't have any here in Iowa (that I know of), but I have heard of them.

So, no.

/One thing about Palace that annoys me is when people complain questions are too regional
--Mark
Phil 4:13

clemon79

« Reply #94 on: August 16, 2006, 01:38:09 PM »
[quote name=\'Modor\' post=\'127649\' date=\'Aug 16 2006, 10:10 AM\']
/One thing about Palace that annoys me is when people complain questions are too regional
[/quote]
Sometimes it's entirely justified. You wanna cite some examples? I'm curious.

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #95 on: August 16, 2006, 01:40:57 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'127651\' date=\'Aug 16 2006, 12:38 PM\']
[quote name=\'Modor\' post=\'127649\' date=\'Aug 16 2006, 10:10 AM\']
[/quote]
Sometimes it's entirely justified. You wanna cite some examples? I'm curious.
[/quote]
I'm talking about things such as "Waffle House", "In-N-Out", "7-11", and "Popeye's".

Most, if not all of those, to my knowldge are very well known chains.  The common excuse I get is "We don't have one of those in our town" or "I've never heard of it".
--Mark
Phil 4:13

clemon79

« Reply #96 on: August 16, 2006, 02:20:06 PM »
[quote name=\'Modor\' post=\'127652\' date=\'Aug 16 2006, 10:40 AM\']
I'm talking about things such as "Waffle House", "In-N-Out", "7-11", and "Popeye's".

Most, if not all of those, to my knowldge are very well known chains.  The common excuse I get is "We don't have one of those in our town" or "I've never heard of it".
[/quote]
Okay. Of those four, I'd say the first two are questionable. It's not fair to expect a New Yorker to know what an In-N-Out is, and the only reason I know Waffle House, never having been close to the South, much less lived there, is because I'm a foodie.

The other two, being nationwide chains, are fair game. "We didn't have one in our town" is not a good excuse. "The nearest one to me is at least fifteen hundred miles away" is somewhat better.

Depends on what you're asking, too. "What regional chicken chain has a spinach-loving sailor for their mascot?" is reasonable, because the answer can still be gotten without knowing the place exists. "Name two side dishes you can purchase at a Popeye's Chicken" is not. Even if they know of In-N-Out, I would never expect someone from Florida who has never been inside of one to know what Jungle Style was.

uncamark

« Reply #97 on: August 16, 2006, 03:12:26 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'127660\' date=\'Aug 16 2006, 01:20 PM\']
Depends on what you're asking, too. "What regional chicken chain has a spinach-loving sailor for their mascot?" is reasonable, because the answer can still be gotten without knowing the place exists. "Name two side dishes you can purchase at a Popeye's Chicken" is not. Even if they know of In-N-Out, I would never expect someone from Florida who has never been inside of one to know what Jungle Style was.
[/quote]

Maddening nitpick:  Should be "Used to have a spinach-loving sailor..."  Popeye's has not been using the sailor for several years now (and they claim that the name initially had nothing to do with the cartoon character).

clemon79

« Reply #98 on: August 16, 2006, 03:36:38 PM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' post=\'127666\' date=\'Aug 16 2006, 12:12 PM\']
Maddening nitpick:  Should be "Used to have a spinach-loving sailor..."  Popeye's has not been using the sailor for several years now (and they claim that the name initially had nothing to do with the cartoon character).
[/quote]
And you prove my point all the more, since I've never lived remotely close to a Popeye's, and in fact the only time I've ever laid eyes on one in person was in passing trying to get to the freeway from Candlestick Park in San Francisco.

Neumms

« Reply #99 on: August 16, 2006, 03:46:32 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'127660\' date=\'Aug 16 2006, 01:20 PM\']
Even if they know of In-N-Out, I would never expect someone from Florida who has never been inside of one to know what Jungle Style was.
[/quote]

I'm from Minnesota and have been inside an In-N-Out, but what's Jungle Style?

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #100 on: August 16, 2006, 03:53:34 PM »
[quote name=\'Modor\' post=\'127652\' date=\'Aug 16 2006, 01:40 PM\']I'm talking about things such as "Waffle House", "In-N-Out", "7-11", and "Popeye's".

Most, if not all of those, to my knowldge are very well known chains.  The common excuse I get is "We don't have one of those in our town" or "I've never heard of it".[/quote]
I dare say if someone is telling you "I've never heard of it" then you need to rethink your definition of "well known chains".  I would suggest with some confidence that the majority of people in the United States have never heard of Waffle House.

Sometimes it's not even so much as a chain being regional as it just being so small as to not be relevant to a significant chunk of the population.  Popeye's might very well fall into this category.  For a TV show, a book, a movie or anything academic or newsworthy, most everybody has roughly the same opportunity to be exposed to it.  That's not true for retail establishments, especially food chains, with the exception of the obvious giants.

It's not an exact science by any means.  But if I was playing a trivia game and lost out on a question with a strong geographic bias, yeah, I'd probably grumble about it too.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

clemon79

« Reply #101 on: August 16, 2006, 04:42:39 PM »
[quote name=\'Neumms\' post=\'127669\' date=\'Aug 16 2006, 12:46 PM\']
I'm from Minnesota and have been inside an In-N-Out, but what's Jungle Style?
[/quote]
Yeah, that wasn't exactly fair. :) It's also called "Animal Style." There's kinda an off-the-board "menu" at In-N-Out for those who know about it. If you order your burger "Jungle Style", you're telling them to grill the bun with mustard on it, grill onions into the burger, and add extra special sauce. There are other bits of lingo, which you can learn about here.

aaron sica

« Reply #102 on: August 16, 2006, 05:32:30 PM »
Of the four chains - "Waffle House", "7-11", "Popeye's", and "In and Out", being a foodie like Chris, I've heard of all of them. This area has all of them except "In and Out", which I would love to try.

/Also want a Chick-Fil-A relatively close to me

clemon79

« Reply #103 on: August 16, 2006, 05:40:29 PM »
[quote name=\'aaron sica\' post=\'127681\' date=\'Aug 16 2006, 02:32 PM\']
Of the four chains - "Waffle House", "7-11", "Popeye's", and "In and Out", being a foodie like Chris, I've heard of all of them. [/quote]
Right, but the fact that you _are_ a foodie is the reason why. I can think of many places in the United States that, were an average person born and bred there, that person wouldn't have a flying chance in hell with anything but the 7-11 question.

Moe Train

« Reply #104 on: August 16, 2006, 06:05:29 PM »
I'm from Philly, and I vaguely remember "In and Out"...