Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Now that I've seen Chain Reaction and Starface in full  (Read 19017 times)

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Now that I've seen Chain Reaction and Starface in full
« Reply #30 on: August 02, 2006, 06:20:27 PM »
[quote name=\'Modor\' post=\'126072\' date=\'Aug 2 2006, 03:06 PM\']
And in the process, basically admit that the whole name changeover was a failure?
[/quote]
Well, yes. Because it has been. Believe it or not, the public tends to respect people who come forward and admit they made a mistake, then rectify it.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Allstar87

« Reply #31 on: August 02, 2006, 11:01:46 PM »
[quote name=\'whewfan\' post=\'126002\' date=\'Aug 2 2006, 05:39 AM\']
I'm also glad that the episode with Dave on Starface was not aired as the premiere, but we'll see him eventually. For those that haven't seen the preview, Dave is DEFINITELY WAY OVER THE TOP, I don't think The Price is Right would even want him as a contestant. I have a feeling Dave was one of those players that somehow passed auditions, and then suddenly decided to belt out inane phrases once the show was taping.
[/quote]

Dave's episode aired today. And interestingly enough, he was once a contestant on The Price Is Right. (Haven't seen his TPIR episode; this was mentioned during a contestant interview.) I agree, he was way too hyper. Did he have to celebrate after EVERY right answer?

Also interesting: one of the subjects of the bonus round was a certain Access Hollywood host...

Brakus

« Reply #32 on: August 02, 2006, 11:08:27 PM »
[quote name=\'PYLdude\' post=\'126057\' date=\'Aug 2 2006, 03:19 PM\']
You know, with all the criticism, I'm surprised that Soria hasn't come out with an "otaku" post yet.
[/quote]

That's because you all seem to be actually *gasp* ON TOPIC FOR ONCE!

In any event, even though Chain Reaction's still the same game, the gameplay itself is just so flawed it turns me off. Moreover, tonight's bonus game was just plain awful and painful to watch.

And outside of Danny Bonaduce, Starface just doesn't do it for me. If I were into watching stuff like ET and Access Hollywood on a regular basis, I'd maybe give it another shot. As far as it stands now, I'm not bothering to watch.
"Whatever you do, enjoy it to the fullest. THAT is the secret of life." -- Iskandar, King of Conquerors (Fate/Zero, Fate/GO)

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #33 on: August 02, 2006, 11:22:51 PM »
[quote name=\'Brakus\' post=\'126100\' date=\'Aug 2 2006, 08:08 PM\']
[/quote]
Ah, there we go.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Brandon Brooks

« Reply #34 on: August 02, 2006, 11:23:49 PM »
[quote name=\'Brakus\' post=\'126100\' date=\'Aug 2 2006, 10:08 PM\']
You know, with all the criticism, I'm surprised that Soria hasn't come out with an "otaku" post yet.
[/quote]

[/quote]
Chris, please don't awaken him.

Brandon Brooks
« Last Edit: August 02, 2006, 11:24:24 PM by Brandon Brooks »

Jeremy Nelson

« Reply #35 on: August 02, 2006, 11:50:10 PM »
Chain Reaction really doesn't work for me.
-It's already been said, but the "form of the word" and "last letter" rules are automatic points off. At least prompt the team to give a second guess when they give a form of the word.

-I heard "Is it _____?" more times on this show than on an episode of Super/Password/Plus. It slows down the game and it fails to add any suspense. A simple bell or buzzer will do. Unfortunately, if this is taken out, it exposes Dylan Lane as a vegetable.

-I really don't see a reason to explain the puzzle at the end of the game. I can read. Besides, this version connects almost all of the words by making 2-word phrases, so it's not like we're left wondering how certain words are chained together.

Starface is forgettable. It's a pretty straightforward Q&A, with no lasting images besides Colin Powell's crotch. It does have its moments, but at it's core, it's a watered down version of You Don't Know Jack.

-My only real gripe is the bonus round. If you're going to do a "This or That" type round, at least make it harder to win. 60 seconds is enough time to get through at least 15 questions.
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #36 on: August 03, 2006, 12:11:14 AM »
[quote name=\'Brandon Brooks\' post=\'126105\' date=\'Aug 2 2006, 11:23 PM\']
[quote name=\'Brakus\' post=\'126100\' date=\'Aug 2 2006, 10:08 PM\']
[/quote]

[/quote]
Chris, please don't awaken him.

Brandon Brooks
[/quote]

Too late.

Never again, though.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

Joe Mello

• has hit the time release button
« Reply #37 on: August 03, 2006, 01:06:46 AM »
Did someone say "otaku"? ^_^;

[quote name=\'rollercoaster87\' post=\'126108\' date=\'Aug 2 2006, 11:50 PM\']My only real gripe is the bonus round. If you're going to do a "This or That" type round, at least make it harder to win. 60 seconds is enough time to get through at least 15 questions.
[/quote]

Counterpoint: Friend or Foe.  Sure, the endgame only had 10 questions, but I'm not sure you would have gotten significantly more wins in the endgame if there were endless questions.

My dad, who sometimes watches Game Shows (he's following WSoPC at the moment) watched CR and even he finds Dylan to be a stiff.

I have a theory for why the Speed Chains are why they are: If you remember in the USA version, the last word in a chain was double score.  So, instead of doing that and giving a free $X00 out, have a speed chain for that extra money to not only have another puzzle, but another time-eater.  I can't imagine the timing of Chain Reaction shows to have that much variance between each other.  You probably won't find too many episodes running short or running long, and that I can appreciate.

My recommendation is to bite the bullet, eliminate the speed chains, and make the last word double (triple for a sweep).  You can probably fit a whole 'nother round in the space you make.

Oyasumi-nasai!
This signature is currently under construction.

whewfan

« Reply #38 on: August 03, 2006, 05:35:23 AM »
I just saw last night's show, and I think I know one of the biggest problems it has... SUBPAR PLAYERS. I know part of it is the pressure of coming up with answers in 5 seconds, the lights, the audience, whatever... but the performance in the bonus round last night was indeed PATHETIC. Here's a tip, let the players practice the bonus game before the show to get the hang of coming up with a sentence VERY FAST. I'll give Chain until Friday, just to see Moe's show.

FlashStash

« Reply #39 on: August 03, 2006, 09:12:47 AM »
[quote name=\'whewfan\' post=\'126125\' date=\'Aug 3 2006, 05:35 AM\']
I just saw last night's show, and I think I know one of the biggest problems it has... SUBPAR PLAYERS. I know part of it is the pressure of coming up with answers in 5 seconds, the lights, the audience, whatever... but the performance in the bonus round last night was indeed PATHETIC. Here's a tip, let the players practice the bonus game before the show to get the hang of coming up with a sentence VERY FAST. I'll give Chain until Friday, just to see Moe's show.
[/quote]

Again, these are early shows, but we were sent a clip from the pilot showing the bonus game (since the style of play was never mentioned in the audition) and we were given a list of words to practice with when we got to the studio.  And at least tune back in for my episode...I promise smart gameplay from both teams and NO team getting the last letter :)

As for your point on subpar players, I was thinking about this in regards to the audition. I'd say 95% of the people going to the auditions knew nothing other than this was a gameshow.  We were the only team in our audition to know the gameplay.  You had a written test and played one chain on camera. We all know the game here, but it just could be that people aren't comfortable with the game, even after the audition. Did many of these teams even practice the game after making the show? In our tapings, I know most had done no preparation for the show.  You had about a week if you did, but it's not like you can open a box of trivia questions and practice...someone needs to actually write chains.  Also, the bonus round is VERY unfamiliar...try doing it with someone who's never seen the original or "Go!" before.  It's unlike anything people are used to doing, and some people just can't get the hang of it.

My guess is *if* there's a season 2, you'll see a different caliber of contestant...it won't just be people who went to be on a gameshow, it will be people who are familiar with the game and actually know they can do well on it.

FS

itiparanoid13

« Reply #40 on: August 03, 2006, 09:31:08 AM »
I hate to break it to you, but no they won't.  If, in season 5 of Lingo, they still have 50% of the contestants who do not know of the show and no idea how to play (This is the honest truth from actual contestants), there is little chance that people will know Chain Reaction.

catnap1972

« Reply #41 on: August 03, 2006, 09:37:43 AM »
[quote name=\'itiparanoid13\' post=\'126127\' date=\'Aug 3 2006, 09:31 AM\']
I hate to break it to you, but no they won't.  If, in season 5 of Lingo, they still have 50% of the contestants who do not know of the show and no idea how to play (This is the honest truth from actual contestants), there is little chance that people will know Chain Reaction.
[/quote]

Hell, I'll bet the majority of the people who audition for the show weren't even born yet when the original was first run.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2006, 09:40:30 AM by catnap1972 »

FlashStash

« Reply #42 on: August 03, 2006, 09:53:36 AM »
[quote name=\'itiparanoid13\' post=\'126127\' date=\'Aug 3 2006, 09:31 AM\']
[/quote]

1. 50% knowing the game is way better than the 5% we have who know it now.

2.  Unless you spoke to every single person who was on the show, I'm not sure how you could know that 50% had never seen the game before they played it.

FS

itiparanoid13

« Reply #43 on: August 03, 2006, 09:58:49 AM »
Watch a few episodes.  It's very evident.  I'm not trying to be rude, but just because you were on ths show, you seem keen on defending it to the death, without paying any notice to the flaws.  If people watch the first 4 or 5 episodes and see that it's bad, they won't watch.  They can have incredible shows for the final 5, but the episodes that form an opinion on people's minds are the first few.  If those suck, the game is screwed.  Even if you were on it, you can't tell me the show doesn't have gigantic flaws, an annoying host, and terrible intangibles.  I was at the taping, and I wanted to be extremely pleased.  I never saw the original version (it was before my time), and I came in there without any knowledge of the original version.  A person with the IQ of a cucumber could tell that it just wasn't good.  The game show fans that were there for the first taping, before they brought in the paid audience, clearly recognized that.  Look at their faces during the taping.  If it was a compelling, good game, I'm pretty sure we could stomach 3 hours.  The ONLY thing that saves this show from complete suck is that it offers more play-along than any GSN show I've seen.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2006, 10:04:52 AM by itiparanoid13 »

FlashStash

« Reply #44 on: August 03, 2006, 10:07:31 AM »
[quote name=\'itiparanoid13\' post=\'126130\' date=\'Aug 3 2006, 09:58 AM\']
Watch a few episodes.  It's very evident.  I'm not trying to be rude, but just because you were on ths show, you seem keen on defending it to the death.  Even if you were on it, you can't tell me the show doesn't have gigantic flaws, an annoying host, and terrible intangibles.  I was at the taping, and I wanted to be extremely pleased.  I never saw the original version (it was before my time), and I came in there without any knowledge of the original version.  A person with the IQ of a cucumber could tell that it just wasn't good.  The game show fans that were there for the first taping, before they brought in the paid audience, clearly recognized that.  Look at their faces during the taping.  If it was a compelling, good game, I'm pretty sure we could stomach 3 hours.
[/quote]

I'm not defending it, last night's contestants were lousy at gameplay, but it's certainly more constructive to examine WHY they are lousy then just running around pointing out faults.  Also, if you do criticize the show, at least make sure you have your facts correct (for example, you claimed elsewhere that you only get $10K even if you win the max of $18K.  That's just absurd.)

Gigantic flaws?  Hardly..annoying host?  You've seen two episodes and were at the taping of the very first.  You're ready to crucify the show based on the very first taping ever, when it has been pointed out many times that later tapings went much more smoothly and the host was much better in later episodes.

And "watch a few episodes" is not a scientific method for determining that 50% have never played the game of Lingo before.  It's easy to judge people's gameplay at home without actually being on the show, but as a wise old contestant coordinator once told me "When you're watching at home, it's ALWAYS your turn."

And I have seen you call "Starface" "terrific", so maybe this isn't your kind of show.

FS
« Last Edit: August 03, 2006, 10:15:31 AM by FlashStash »