Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Now that I've seen Chain Reaction and Starface in full  (Read 19026 times)

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Now that I've seen Chain Reaction and Starface in full
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2006, 12:52:27 PM »
[quote name=\'bandit_bobby\' post=\'126032\' date=\'Aug 2 2006, 08:41 AM\']
because I'm not totally an entertainment geek like some are.
[/quote]
I _am_ a pop-culture geek, and it STILL sucked.
But that betting format on the final chain is kinda screwed up. I would have let the teams bet as much as they wanted on each word, with a $100 minimum.
My, spending other people's money is fun.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2006, 01:28:52 PM »
[quote name=\'bandit_bobby\' post=\'126032\' date=\'Aug 2 2006, 10:41 AM\']
IMO, I think Chain Reaction is better, but only slightly. It has far more play-aliong value than Starface because I'm not totally an entertainment geek like some are. [/quote]
So because you aren't into pop culture, by default, makes Chain Reaction the better show?

Yeah, right.

I'm willing to give Chain Reaction at least one more chance. It's possible the show we saw was the first one taped, and we all know how that show went.
Traditionally, GSN doesn't air the first one taped (at least, Whammy and Lingo) worked that way...and possibly some others as well.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2006, 01:30:31 PM by Modor »
--Mark
Phil 4:13

FlashStash

« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2006, 01:38:56 PM »
[quote name=\'Modor\' post=\'126045\' date=\'Aug 2 2006, 01:28 PM\']
Traditionally, GSN doesn't air the first one taped (at least, Whammy and Lingo) worked that way...and possibly some others as well.
[/quote]

Last night's Chain Reaction was the first one taped.

FS

Moe Train

« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2006, 01:54:18 PM »
Well, I can't really judge this since I'm a contestant from the show...  My show is going to air on FRIDAY at 9pm.  I'm excited about having the Friday spot since I would imagine there would be an even larger audience that night.  I'm Moe, and my teammates are Ryan and Matt.

I enjoyed seeing the full version of the show.  From being onstage through all the taping, I was able to see many aspects of their production.  The show was definitely fast paced, partly due to the taping in NYC.  There's a difference in the feel between West Coast and East Coast shows.  

The intro was cool, and it was also the first time that I had heard the theme song.  They may have played it when we were on stage, but I probably was in too much of an adrenaline rush to hear it.  

The guys SUCKED, mostly due to the guy on the right.  The ladies did very well, and remember, when you have 2 or three letters showing already, it gets MUCH easier to get the answers.  It's the luck of the draw a lot of the time.  The girl on the right was the key to winning their game.  Their $500 bets on the first letter was absolutely stupid.  Big bets like that should come either when you're sure of the answer or if you were in the hole like those guys were.  

The ladies did very well in the bonus round, but i think there was some editing done at some point during the answering.  They were overly excited, then in a split second, they were calmed down.  I found that kind of odd.

I was watching the game with my family, and everyone was being very interactive, so I think CR is even more interactive than a lot of people had originally anticipated.  I'm sure that's a very important part of game shows these days, and they've accomplished their goal in this regard.

Someone had mentioned about that Dylan should have said something everytime they got a word right in the bonus round.  There's a bell or a buzzer that goes off which you can hear both on the show, and in the studio.  I can't mention any specifics as of yet, but I'll have more to add after my show airs on Friday.

From what I've read, the show that aired last night, was the episode that took three hours to tape.  Our taping took no longer than an hour.  They were really on their "A GAME."  Everything was very smooth, and every single person in that production was top notch.  Very accomodating and made us feel extremely comfortable (which we were already really at ease with everyone already, since we had met everyone previously).  I wouldn't have minded being on stage for 3 hours!  Being in the spotlight for that long?  HELL YEAH!  ha...  It almost seemed as if it went by TOO quickly when we were up there, but I can't tell you just HOW LONG we were onstage for.  I guess you'll all have to see on Friday Night!  PRIME TIME SLOT, BABY!

For the life of me, I can't understand why everyone is putting down the betting round.  The more you watch the show, you'll find that the betting round is truly the MAKE OR BREAK ROUND.  Just say the girls from last night kept betting $500, and they dropped really low.  The guys could have easily taken over the lead and won!  The more you watch the show, the chances are that most of you will be changing your mind.  Teams won't be betting so conservatively, and they'll become more "ballsy."  The mindset would be either, "How much do we need to win," or "We've got this in the bag... Let's go for the REAL money!"

Overall, I gave the show pretty high marks, but I can only imagine it getting better and better as the game progresses.  It's Dylan's first gameshow gig, and with everything, timing and wit will come along as more shows are produced.

I'd be very interested in hearing everyone's reviews of my show when it airs on Friday.  I'll be using parts of the episode to add to my reel for other auditions.  Our show will be more high energy, and have much more laughs...  I can guarantee that.  Both of our teams had a good chemistry, and it was evident when we were under the lights.

Thanks!

Moe
www.myspace.com/MoeTrain

mystery7

« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2006, 01:56:44 PM »
Starafce was not. After the intros, Danny remarked to the third-place contestant, "We've seen better comebacks than this."

clemon79

« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2006, 02:01:19 PM »
[quote name=\'mystery7\' post=\'126048\' date=\'Aug 2 2006, 10:56 AM\']
Starafce was not. After the intros, Danny remarked to the third-place contestant, "We've seen better comebacks than this."
[/quote]
Unless he was completely talking out of his hat, which is also entirely possible.

clemon79

« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2006, 02:03:52 PM »
[quote name=\'Modor\' post=\'126045\' date=\'Aug 2 2006, 10:28 AM\']
So because you aren't into pop culture, by default, makes Chain Reaction the better show?
[/quote]
I AM into pop culture, and Chain Reaction was still the better show.

Which should give you an idea of just how bad I thought Starface was.

Fer God's sake. They centered a series of clues around Colin Powell's crotch.

Dbacksfan12

« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2006, 02:14:53 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'126051\' date=\'Aug 2 2006, 01:03 PM\']
I AM into pop culture, and Chain Reaction was still the better show.
[/quote]
Sure, that's fine.

But for Bobby to say that it's better only because he's not into pop culture...is an invalid point, IMO.
--Mark

clemon79

« Reply #23 on: August 02, 2006, 02:21:34 PM »
[quote name=\'Modor\' post=\'126053\' date=\'Aug 2 2006, 11:14 AM\']
But for Bobby to say that it's better only because he's not into pop culture...is an invalid point, IMO.
[/quote]
Well, yes. And considering who it is, I'm not sure why you're even bothering to have the discussion or what good you think it's gonna do. The rest of us looked at the post, looked at the poster's handle, rolled our eyes, and moved on.

Dbacksfan12

« Reply #24 on: August 02, 2006, 02:24:08 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'126054\' date=\'Aug 2 2006, 01:21 PM\']
[quote name=\'Modor\' post=\'126053\' date=\'Aug 2 2006, 11:14 AM\']
[/quote]
Well, yes. And considering who it is, I'm not sure why you're even bothering to have the discussion or what good you think it's gonna do. The rest of us looked at the post, looked at the poster's handle, rolled our eyes, and moved on.
[/quote]
I guess I have a *tiny sliver of hope that someday, somehow, that just maybe, he'll learn.

*Tiny=a toothpick
--Mark

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #25 on: August 02, 2006, 03:19:08 PM »
Couldn't see either show last night...from the reviews, doesn't look like I'm missing a whole hell of a lot.

You know, with all the criticism, I'm surprised that Soria hasn't come out with an "otaku" post yet.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

clemon79

« Reply #26 on: August 02, 2006, 03:27:30 PM »
[quote name=\'PYLdude\' post=\'126057\' date=\'Aug 2 2006, 12:19 PM\']
You know, with all the criticism, I'm surprised that Soria hasn't come out with an "otaku" post yet.
[/quote]
Well, they haven't given him any prize money, so he doesn't feel the need to blindly defend it. :)

/cue Soria in 3...2...1...

uncamark

« Reply #27 on: August 02, 2006, 05:19:46 PM »
A negative layman's view from the NY Daily News' David Bianculli (and I have the feeling that he reviewed them only because of Bonaduce):

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/e...2p-370366c.html

And note what name the copy editor uses for the channel underneath the star ratings at the top.

sshuffield70

« Reply #28 on: August 02, 2006, 05:54:50 PM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' post=\'126069\' date=\'Aug 2 2006, 04:19 PM\']
A negative layman's view from the NY Daily News' David Bianculli (and I have the feeling that he reviewed them only because of Bonaduce):

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/e...2p-370366c.html

And note what name the copy editor uses for the channel underneath the star ratings at the top.
[/quote]

Yeah, Cronin should just give up and embrace Game Show Network.  We've had two years of this, and I haven't heard the letters GSN outside of discussion forums that much, especially anything entertainment related.

Dbacksfan12

« Reply #29 on: August 02, 2006, 06:06:28 PM »
[quote name=\'sshuffield70\' post=\'126071\' date=\'Aug 2 2006, 04:54 PM\']
Yeah, Cronin should just give up and embrace Game Show Network.  We've had two years of this, and I haven't heard the letters GSN outside of discussion forums that much, especially anything entertainment related.
[/quote]
And in the process, basically admit that the whole name changeover was a failure?

Good one.
--Mark