Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Chain Reaction...  (Read 37624 times)

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
Chain Reaction...
« Reply #30 on: August 03, 2006, 05:02:50 PM »
[quote name=\'Joe Mello\' post=\'126187\' date=\'Aug 3 2006, 02:36 PM\']
Aside from removing Dick Clark and making the front game harder, what the heck are you talking about?
[/quote]
Harder?  Nice try, Joe.

I can't fathom any other reason it was done except to add commercial time (saved 2 minutes).
--Mark
Phil 4:13

Neumms

Chain Reaction...
« Reply #31 on: August 03, 2006, 06:45:44 PM »
[quote name=\'Neumms\' post=\'126172\' date=\'Aug 3 2006, 02:07 PM\']With Donny-mid, they took what wasn't broken and broke it.[/quote]
Aside from removing Dick Clark and making the front game harder, what the heck are you talking about?
[/quote]

Butchering the end game with bad writing and briefed celebrities, lousy set when the most recent one had been pretty nice, lousy direction, lousy music, pretty much everything.

Steve Gavazzi

Chain Reaction...
« Reply #32 on: August 03, 2006, 07:28:27 PM »
[quote name=\'Neumms\' post=\'126196\' date=\'Aug 3 2006, 06:45 PM\']
[quote name=\'Neumms\' post=\'126172\' date=\'Aug 3 2006, 02:07 PM\']With Donny-mid, they took what wasn't broken and broke it.[/quote]
[/quote]

Butchering the end game with bad writing and briefed celebrities
[/quote]

You forgot destroying its atmosphere.  I don't know how you can make the Winner's Circle seem mundane, but they did it.

Seriously, Joe, you have to be kidding.

LocalH

Chain Reaction...
« Reply #33 on: August 03, 2006, 09:10:15 PM »
And once again tonight's episode starts out quite painfully. I couldn't sit in the audience at a taping of this bollocks - I'd be screaming my head off at these idiots.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2006, 09:10:25 PM by LocalH »
Scott Jones

Long-time Game Show Fan

Former Newscast Director

rebelwrest

Chain Reaction...
« Reply #34 on: August 03, 2006, 09:24:28 PM »
At this point, I have stopped playing the game and started playing "How much of a better host can I be?"

I think if you are a smart, beautiful person and want to try out for a GSN game show, act a little dumb.  You will probably have a better chance of getting on the show.
My favorite Win Ben Stein's Money Category:

Where Am I Doc? Urinalysis Restaurant.

LocalH

Chain Reaction...
« Reply #35 on: August 03, 2006, 09:29:42 PM »
[quote name=\'rebelwrest\' post=\'126217\' date=\'Aug 3 2006, 09:24 PM\']
At this point, I have stopped playing the game and started playing "How much of a better host can I be?"[/quote]
I think there are very few people on Earth who would not fit that requirement.
Scott Jones

Long-time Game Show Fan

Former Newscast Director

BrandonFG

Chain Reaction...
« Reply #36 on: August 03, 2006, 09:30:45 PM »
It's okay...that's about it. Not horrible, but not the Cullen version, like everyone else said. It's something to watch when nothing else is on.

The ending of the maingame was pretty awkward in declaring a winner.

Tonite's female contestants were pretty damn clueless...and had no betting strategy. It's the last word, you're down $900, and you bet $500?!  The men were a little better, but not by much, esp. in the bonus round. And my gracious, can we stick to one camera movement during the bonus round?! Why not just stick to the 3-box setup.

Theme song is interesting...somewhat catchy, but that's about it. Set isn't as bad as I expected, but it's still too much leftover Millionaire effect.

Lots of awkward moments.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2006, 09:50:39 PM by fostergray82 »
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Chain Reaction...
« Reply #37 on: August 03, 2006, 09:34:20 PM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' post=\'126220\' date=\'Aug 3 2006, 06:30 PM\']
It's the last word, you're down $900, and you bet $500?!  
[/quote]
That's the max bet. Which is the problem, the ending most of the time is gonna be completely anticlimactic.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

catnap1972

Chain Reaction...
« Reply #38 on: August 03, 2006, 09:35:26 PM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' post=\'126220\' date=\'Aug 3 2006, 09:30 PM\']

Lots of awkward moments.
[/quote]

Like what in the HELL Dylan is doing providing answers.  I CLEARLY heard her say "ALEXAND" TWICE as well as the captioning saying the same (obviously she had no clue), yet she was obviously thinking like "yeah yeah, that's what I meant" when he provided "ALEXANDER".

edit: I watched it again, and she appears to have said it but either the audio/mic dropped the "er" twice (as the captioning showed it as "ALEXAND--") or she did.  So I take my lynching back (show still sucked though!)
« Last Edit: August 03, 2006, 09:49:55 PM by catnap1972 »

BrandonFG

Chain Reaction...
« Reply #39 on: August 03, 2006, 09:49:58 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'126222\' date=\'Aug 3 2006, 09:34 PM\']
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' post=\'126220\' date=\'Aug 3 2006, 06:30 PM\']
It's the last word, you're down $900, and you bet $500?!  
[/quote]
That's the max bet. Which is the problem, the ending most of the time is gonna be completely anticlimactic.
[/quote]
Gotcha...makes more sense, but from re-reading this thread, now I see exactly where you're coming from. To me, it would've made more sense to have a producer put a bug in Dylan's ear, to ad-lib what could happen.

"Okay, Dylan, tell the ladies they NEED to get this word to tie and stay in the game. Otherwise, the men win."

/But that's just me.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Robert Hutchinson

Chain Reaction...
« Reply #40 on: August 03, 2006, 10:00:23 PM »
In this "down $900, bet $500" situation--was $500 bet on the first guess, or on the "I know it!" guess? If you're starting out the last word that way, yeah, that's very dumb. Get it wrong and you've lost all hope. Get it right, and you lose by $400 and don't get the money. Keep betting $100 and hope you come into range via some bad bets by the leading team. Of course, if the word is almost entirely revealed, bet $500 to at least save a little face while you're losing.

There's another bad wrinkle, by the way. The end of the betting round will often encourage, at least for smart players (cough cough), intentional misses, due to a need to hopefully whittle down the opponents' score by letting *them* miss it some more. Have any of the contestants strangled their teammates during this round yet?
Visit my CB radio at www.twitter.com/ertchin

The Pyramids

Chain Reaction...
« Reply #41 on: August 03, 2006, 10:12:52 PM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' post=\'126220\' date=\'Aug 3 2006, 09:30 PM\']
It's okay...that's about it. Not horrible, but not the Cullen version, like everyone else said. It's something to watch when nothing else is on.

[/quote]

That's how I would put it. Still I'm suprised no one appears to glad to see the three person bonus round is on tv again. Its probably as close as your going to seeing 'Go!' on GSN again.

clemon79

Chain Reaction...
« Reply #42 on: August 03, 2006, 10:22:02 PM »
[quote name=\'Robert Hutchinson\' post=\'126227\' date=\'Aug 3 2006, 07:00 PM\']
There's another bad wrinkle, by the way. The end of the betting round will often encourage, at least for smart players (cough cough), intentional misses, due to a need to hopefully whittle down the opponents' score by letting *them* miss it some more. Have any of the contestants strangled their teammates during this round yet?
[/quote]
But if you ARE that leading team, and you have even the SLIGHTEST bit of intelligence (yes, herein lies my fallacy, I know), why aren't you just betting $100 each time and running out the clock? So long as I have a $700 lead going into that last word, the game is OVER.

Robert Hutchinson

Chain Reaction...
« Reply #43 on: August 03, 2006, 11:57:35 PM »
I didn't mean to suggest anything else should happen there, Chris. I was just looking at that specific subset of "broken game elements" that is "players can be rewarded by intentionally not playing their best". The temptation (foolhardy though it might be) to throw your first two Winner's Circles on $20K Pyramid, for instance.

If you're ahead by $700 going into the final word, yes, you should win. But if you're behind $700, your only hope--and therefore your only decent strategy--is to do everything you can to get the leaders to fall back to a $500 or less lead. This requires A) dumb opponents (as you said), but also B) intentionally giving the opponents more opportunities for a dumb bet. Hence, not answering even when you know the answer.
Visit my CB radio at www.twitter.com/ertchin

clemon79

Chain Reaction...
« Reply #44 on: August 04, 2006, 12:11:46 AM »
[quote name=\'Robert Hutchinson\' post=\'126260\' date=\'Aug 3 2006, 08:57 PM\']
If you're ahead by $700 going into the final word, yes, you should win. But if you're behind $700, your only hope--and therefore your only decent strategy--is to do everything you can to get the leaders to fall back to a $500 or less lead. This requires A) dumb opponents (as you said), but also B) intentionally giving the opponents more opportunities for a dumb bet. Hence, not answering even when you know the answer.
[/quote]
Absolutely. Your only hope is to bet $100, do a little soft-shoe, and then hope your opponents suddenly have an aneurysm.