Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Chain Reaction...  (Read 37944 times)

catnap1972

Chain Reaction...
« Reply #180 on: September 22, 2006, 10:25:03 PM »
[quote name=\'tvwxman\' post=\'132412\' date=\'Sep 22 2006, 10:14 PM\']
[quote name=\'WilliamPorygon\' post=\'132411\' date=\'Sep 22 2006, 10:12 PM\']
A team got zero in the bonus round, because the question givers apparently had no idea what the hell they were supposed to do.
[/quote]
Example please? Or, better yet, Youtube clip please?
[/quote]

I don't remember the names, but the one guy on the right was the real problem.  First he was starting the sentences in "non question" form (which was cuckooed each time), then some "two word bobbles" (also cuckooed).  Dylan chastized them ("gotta be in question form guys"), then the one guy starts passing everything (and I mean everything).  When around :30 are left, he says "I can't do this anymore" and tries to get them to stop the bonus round altogether, which they wouldn't, so he wastes some more time, tries again (twice, I think) to get them to stop, and finally the disaster is over with.

BrandonFG

Chain Reaction...
« Reply #181 on: September 22, 2006, 10:25:11 PM »
[quote name=\'catnap1972\' post=\'132413\' date=\'Sep 22 2006, 10:18 PM\']
For those who didn't see it--another first in CR history.  The first ZERO in Instant Reaction (bonus round).  It'd be one thing if the team actually tried but the guesser just couldn't get anything, but it was as if the team was flying blind (all of them) and had no clue at all how to play, and in fact the one guy tried several times to get them to stop the bonus game altogether ("I just can't do this!") after royally screwing up.  They definitely seemed like one of those teams Moe (Train) was talking about where they didn't even bother practicing the bonus round, and instead made total asses of themselves.
[/quote]
Which makes me wonder, who's the bigger team of idiots--the contestants, or the contestant coordinators?

/Wow.
//Freakin' wow.
///At least the production company saves money.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

PYLclark86

• The Consolation Prize... to Your Heart <3
Chain Reaction...
« Reply #182 on: September 22, 2006, 10:27:02 PM »
The Instant Reaction basically consisted of these two things:

"Umm.....What......*cuckoo*"
"Pass"

Whatever they didn't pass on they got cuckooed after two words. Unreal.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2006, 10:30:26 PM by PYLclark86 »
*Indecipherable screaming*

Matt Ottinger

Chain Reaction...
« Reply #183 on: September 22, 2006, 10:51:31 PM »
[quote name=\'catnap1972\' post=\'132414\' date=\'Sep 22 2006, 10:25 PM\']
When around :30 are left, he says "I can't do this anymore" and tries to get them to stop the bonus round altogether, which they wouldn't, so he wastes some more time, tries again (twice, I think) to get them to stop, and finally the disaster is over with.[/quote]
Bob Stewart would never have let a potential contestant get that far anyway, but if somehow it happened, he'd also have the good taste and sense to let the guy out of his misery if that's what he wanted and it was clear he wasn't going to get anywhere.  Dick Clark or Bill Cullen would then come out with some appropriately worded comment to make everybody feel better and the awkwardness would be diffused while still giving the home audience a show.  This was just ugly, made uglier by the ineptitude on the production/host end of things.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

Allstar87

Chain Reaction...
« Reply #184 on: September 22, 2006, 11:21:30 PM »
The longer this show is on, the more it proves the title of this thread correct.

Getting no words in 90 seconds...at the very least, I don't think the show can go any lower than this.

cweaver

Chain Reaction...
« Reply #185 on: September 23, 2006, 12:10:29 AM »
[quote name=\'Allstar87\' post=\'132426\' date=\'Sep 22 2006, 10:21 PM\']
Getting no words in 90 seconds...at the very least, I don't think the show can go any lower than this.
[/quote]

I seem to remember the second Saturday this show was on, three guys were playing that round and two of them kept shouting words indiscriminately like they were playing three-person Pyramid or something.  About halfway through Dylan warned them to phrase it in the form of a question and I think they may have gotten one or two right after that.  But these two incidents make me wonder if these teams are getting a chance to practice or if they even know what they're supposed to do before the taping.  

I'm glad I missed this latest one, sounds like something akin to watching a fly die on the windowsill.

Moe Train

Chain Reaction...
« Reply #186 on: September 23, 2006, 12:27:00 AM »
Wanna see the way to win Instant Reaction? lol

Zero.  That's absoutely pitiful.  Was the team drunk or something?

« Last Edit: September 23, 2006, 12:27:27 AM by Moe Train »

Joe Mello

• has hit the time release button
Chain Reaction...
« Reply #187 on: September 23, 2006, 02:08:09 AM »
[quote name=\'Allstar87\' post=\'132426\' date=\'Sep 22 2006, 11:21 PM\']Getting no words in 90 seconds...at the very least, I don't think the show can go any lower than this.[/quote]

To be honest, this week was starting out pretty well, I thought.  After everyone doubled or better last week, there were still some good endgaming, this occured.  I don't know if there are any actual tests done with the contestants (a la the entry quiz for Jeopardy) but there'd better be some, and I would hope they would now include an endgame trial.

I actually feel kinda bad for the production staff.  You don't expect a team to announce their resignation during the game.  How can you even plan for that?
This signature is currently under construction.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Chain Reaction...
« Reply #188 on: September 23, 2006, 06:08:43 AM »
[quote name=\'Joe Mello\' post=\'132436\' date=\'Sep 22 2006, 11:08 PM\']
I actually feel kinda bad for the production staff.  You don't expect a team to announce their resignation during the game.  How can you even plan for that?
[/quote]
By casting competent contestants, so it's never something you have to worry about in the first place.

Sorry, no sympathy whatsoever. You look for pretty boys and pretty girls instead of people who can play the game, you deserve what you get. I'm just surprised we didn't see it sooner.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Steve Gavazzi

Chain Reaction...
« Reply #189 on: September 23, 2006, 10:06:12 AM »
[quote name=\'Moe Train\' post=\'132430\' date=\'Sep 23 2006, 12:27 AM\']
[/quote]

Honestly?  At this point?  No.  I want to see the team that bombed.

Moe Train

Chain Reaction...
« Reply #190 on: September 23, 2006, 10:24:33 AM »
hahaha.. You have a point there.  Something funny but painful about watching a team crash and burn.  I'd like to see it too!

cweaver

Chain Reaction...
« Reply #191 on: September 23, 2006, 10:42:50 AM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'132419\' date=\'Sep 22 2006, 09:51 PM\']
Dick Clark or Bill Cullen would then come out with some appropriately worded comment to make everybody feel better and the awkwardness would be diffused while still giving the home audience a show.  This was just ugly, made uglier by the ineptitude on the production/host end of things.
[/quote]

Obviously they should've planned for this and I'm betting from now on, they'll tell the contestants something to help prevent this from happening again.  I'm sure there was a meeting over this and possibly even a permanently posted memo in the office.

But...keep in mind the contestant team itself may bear some blame here as well.  They should've had some better strategy and may have decided who would play what position at the last minute. For all we know, the guy who tried to give up repeatedly, perhaps insisted earlier on playing that position, for example out of some kind of "carpool Napoleon" maneuver toward his teammates.  ("Look, I'm driving and if you don't let me play in the middle I'm leaving you here!")  Or something like that.  Point is, it could have been any one of the three playing that position and they chose the worst one ever for whatever really, really bad reason.  I had a college bowl teammate once who was one of the most brilliant people I ever met, but totally sucked at being part of any team, let alone captain.  

Or perhaps they did practice it, perhaps even more than once, and he soared like eagles, but during the actual show he choked.  Or they could've been out partying the night before or something.  Anyway I would think this show will be a cautionary tale not just for the production staff but for future contestants.

Anyone know when this turkey will be rerun?

itiparanoid13

Chain Reaction...
« Reply #192 on: September 23, 2006, 11:21:50 AM »
I don't understand how hard it is to either show contestants a clip of the old bonus round or say "Hey, have you seen Whose Line?  Remember 3 Headed Broadway Stars?  Yeah, you're doing that to win money."  This was just about the final nail in the coffin here for me.  How I cannot wait for That's The Question.

tvwxman

Chain Reaction...
« Reply #193 on: September 23, 2006, 12:42:11 PM »
[quote name=\'cweaver\' post=\'132454\' date=\'Sep 23 2006, 10:42 AM\']
Or perhaps they did practice it, perhaps even more than once, and he soared like eagles, but during the actual show he choked.  Or they could've been out partying the night before or something.  Anyway I would think this show will be a cautionary tale not just for the production staff but for future contestants.

[/quote]
Bull Funky.

Fault lies COMPLETELY on the contestant coordinators, which is a damn shame, cause I worked with some of them on the KenJen pilot, and they're good people.

You get a contract for 65 episodes. Each show requires 6 contestants. You better damn well find 390 people who can play the game well enough to provide entertainment for the home audience. Otherwise, you keep looking for good quality contestants or you scale back the contract. Or, introduce returning champs to lighten the contestant pool.

Again, I'll say that i'm sorry that Michael Davies is behind this. Becuase if I know Michael, he was in the booth screaming up a storm after this travesty. It's his baby, his deal with GSN, and his ass on the line if he can't provide 'quality' programming (subjective , I know).   And you're right, this won't happen again.
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

LocalH

Chain Reaction...
« Reply #194 on: September 23, 2006, 02:05:31 PM »
[quote name=\'Moe Train\' post=\'132430\' date=\'Sep 23 2006, 12:27 AM\']
[/quote]
Wow, that video looks like crap. You must have treated it like it was 16:9 while editing and processing it.
Scott Jones

Long-time Game Show Fan

Former Newscast Director