Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: B&WO, change your 'bumpers!'  (Read 7469 times)

Winkfan

B&WO, change your 'bumpers!'
« on: September 06, 2003, 05:58:09 PM »
Shouldn't GSN consider changing their opening 'bumpers' on Black & White Overnight? They've had the same ones running since right about November 2001.

Also, since GSN also plans to show many of the daytime episodes of To Tell the Truth (not that it's a bad idea, though), don't be surprised if after they run out of THOSE episodes, they start right back from the beginning of the PRIMETIME run of TTTT!  It's not definite, just a hunch.

Cordially,
Tammy Warner--the 'Mimi Benzell of the Big Board!'
"I've never stopped. I've never changed. I never did anything else."
- The Real Don Steele (1936-1997)

ilb4ever2000

« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2003, 06:00:13 PM »
Also, since GSN also plans to show many of the daytime episodes of To Tell the Truth (not that it's a bad idea, though), don't be surprised if after they run out of THOSE episodes, they start right back from the beginning of the PRIMETIME run of TTTT! It's not definite, just a hunch.

Oh, I hope not. I'm a bit sick of TTTT.

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2003, 06:06:38 PM »
Black and White Overnight is a gift that GSN gives to us classic fans.  If they want to keep wrapping it in the same paper they've been using for two years, I got no problem with that.  I'm not watching them for the bumpers.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

Jim

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2003, 10:49:54 AM »
I hate to disagree, but I hope they do rerun TTTT from the start.  Jult like it was ncie to see the eariest WML's again, a second airing of the earliest TTTT's would help keep them alive in my memory better.  As for hte bumpers, I don't want to give them ANY ideas about changing anything about BWO.  The current lineup is, IMHO, the optimal three shows.  Well, they could substitute Beat The Clock for IGAS.  But TTTT and WML are gold.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2003, 10:50:56 AM by Jim »

Chelsea Thrasher

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2003, 10:59:09 AM »
Personally, I wish they'd go with a format like they did during the Buddy Hackett tribute, with 4 shows, little commercial time (unless it's Daytime TTTT), and a lineup including TTTT, WML, IGAS, and PW

Ian Wallis

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2003, 03:16:58 PM »
Black and White Overnight is a gift that GSN gives to us classic fans. If they want to keep wrapping it in the same paper they've been using for two years, I got no problem with that. I'm not watching them for the bumpers.

While I'm happy that GSN does program \"Black and White Overnight\", and I hope it continues, I wouldn't mind seeing them eventually rotate more shows into those slots.  I know this has been brought up before, but they could almost use it as a \"Game of the Day\" rather than \"Game of the Week\".  Maybe doing this sort of thing every day is not feasable, but I think it would be great if they could show some *rarer* stuff - at least on the weekend slots.

Anyone agree or disagree?
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

Brandon Brooks

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2003, 05:39:32 PM »
[quote name=\'Dsmith\' date=\'Sep 8 2003, 03:22 PM\'] Sorry; Matt; I'm inclined to disagree that is a "gift".  These shows are worn; and could serve a better purpose. [/quote]
 You're telling me that they are airing these shows to get ratings?  Now, that I cannot believe.

Brandon Brooks

Brandon Brooks

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2003, 11:19:46 PM »
[quote name=\'Dsmith\' date=\'Sep 8 2003, 09:50 PM\'] I'm not saying that they are they are there for ratings; I simply think it'd be more appropriate to show a better mix of shows. [/quote]
 Well, then, in your opinion, they are a misguided gift, but they are a gift, nonetheless.  I can see no benefit to GSN for them to air this.  I personally enjoy them every once in awhile.

But again, I find myself approaching a semantical conversation which is equivalent in importance to the price of tea in China.

Brandon Brooks

inturnaround

« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2003, 04:57:45 PM »
[quote name=\'Seth Thrasher\' date=\'Sep 7 2003, 09:59 AM\'] Personally, I wish they'd go with a format like they did during the Buddy Hackett tribute, with 4 shows, little commercial time (unless it's Daytime TTTT), and a lineup including TTTT, WML, IGAS, and PW [/quote]
 Yeah, and I'd like for them to show no commercials (except when I have to visit the little inturnaround's room), but they have to make up what they don't get in ratings with more commercials. If that's the only way these shows will get shown, then I'm all for it.
Joe Coughlin     
Human

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2003, 05:51:15 PM »
[quote name=\'Dsmith\' date=\'Sep 8 2003, 10:50 PM\'] [quote name=\'Brandon Brooks\' date=\'Sep 8 2003, 04:39 PM\'] [quote name=\'Dsmith\' date=\'Sep 8 2003, 03:22 PM\'] Sorry; Matt; I'm inclined to disagree that is a "gift".  These shows are worn; and could serve a better purpose. [/quote]
You're telling me that they are airing these shows to get ratings?  Now, that I cannot believe.

Brandon Brooks [/quote]
I'm not saying that they are they are there for ratings; I simply think it'd be more appropriate to show a better mix of shows. [/quote]
 This is the very *definition* of \"Don't look a gift horse in the mouth.\"

GSN has absolutely no reason to air these black and white shows except as a favor to fans.  The bottom line would be much better served by running full-length infomercials.  Therefore, I'm simply grateful that they do it at all.  If I was running the place, I might have a different lineup of personal favorites or I might not, but I'm not about to criticize them because I'm not satisfied with the WAY they're presenting this gift to us.

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2003, 09:10:53 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' date=\'Sep 9 2003, 04:51 PM\'] [quote name=\'Dsmith\' date=\'Sep 8 2003, 10:50 PM\'] [quote name=\'Brandon Brooks\' date=\'Sep 8 2003, 04:39 PM\'] [quote name=\'Dsmith\' date=\'Sep 8 2003, 03:22 PM\'] Sorry; Matt; I'm inclined to disagree that is a "gift".  These shows are worn; and could serve a better purpose. [/quote]

Brandon Brooks [/quote]
I'm not saying that they are they are there for ratings; I simply think it'd be more appropriate to show a better mix of shows. [/quote]
This is the very *definition* of "Don't look a gift horse in the mouth."

GSN has absolutely no reason to air these black and white shows except as a favor to fans.  The bottom line would be much better served by running full-length infomercials.  Therefore, I'm simply grateful that they do it at all.  If I was running the place, I might have a different lineup of personal favorites or I might not, but I'm not about to criticize them because I'm not satisfied with the WAY they're presenting this gift to us. [/quote]
 Which I personally wouldn't mind [infomercials].  I'm probably about to have my head handed to me; but as a \"fan\" of the genre, I don't see why these shows are so appealing, other than the nostolgiaca value that some people find appealing.  I don't; except for a few exceptions.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2003, 08:53:34 AM »
Which I personally wouldn't mind [infomercials]. I'm probably about to have my head handed to me; but as a \"fan\" of the genre, I don't see why these shows are so appealing, other than the nostolgiaca value that some people find appealing. I don't; except for a few exceptions.
If I may be so bold, I think what you're saying is that as long as they're going to run game shows instead of infomercials in the late-night slots anyway, why not run some that might have a little more appeal to a larger audience than the old black & white ones?  Fair enough, other shows would probably attract more viewers (\"more\" being relative in the middle of the night).  Still, I think you're underestimating the appeal of the old panel shows to a significant number of us.

When you think about it, our genre is pretty big.  Big enough to hold Jeopardy AND The Dating Game.  Password AND Super Sloppy Double Dare.  Russian Roulette AND What's My Line?

I always cringe when I read something like, \"I don't see why these shows are so appealing.\"  If a show's popular at all, then a smart person ought to be able to at least recognize some of the reasons why, even if that smart person personally hates it.  

There are many programs I despise.  Programs I find offensive and a few, yes, that I even personally  find \"unwatchable\", meaning I change the channel rather than watch them.  But if a show's been on for more than a year or two, I'm usually able to at least see what the appeal is, even if it doesn't appeal to me.