Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: GSN August 2003 Ratings  (Read 13992 times)

PeterMarshallFan

GSN August 2003 Ratings
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2003, 10:00:13 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Sep 6 2003, 09:58 PM\'] [quote name=\'PeterMarshallFan\' date=\'Sep 6 2003, 06:48 PM\'] Comeback: It's not well done and it's not rare. It's raw. ;-)
 [/quote]
Ernie was funnier.

[/quote]
 I'm on Funny Money next week. :-P

GS Warehouse

GSN August 2003 Ratings
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2003, 10:20:56 PM »
[quote name=\'PeterMarshallFan\' date=\'Sep 6 2003, 09:00 PM\'] [quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Sep 6 2003, 09:58 PM\'] [quote name=\'PeterMarshallFan\' date=\'Sep 6 2003, 06:48 PM\'] Comeback: It's not well done and it's not rare. It's raw. ;-)
 [/quote]
Ernie was funnier.

[/quote]
I'm on Funny Money next week. :-P [/quote]
 That's only because Ernie is dead. :-p

Timsterino

GSN August 2003 Ratings
« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2003, 10:25:24 PM »
I can not see how the bad ratings is good news for the network. It is the only network dedicated to Game Show programming (for now at least). I never want to hear of a 40% drop, not even if just to say \"I told you so\". I sure hope they improve. I certainly do not want to see a radical shift in programming that low ratings over a long period would certainly stir up (for example: daily video game blocks).

JMHO,
Tim :-)

PeterMarshallFan

GSN August 2003 Ratings
« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2003, 10:28:14 PM »
[quote name=\'GS Warehouse\' date=\'Sep 6 2003, 10:20 PM\'] [quote name=\'PeterMarshallFan\' date=\'Sep 6 2003, 09:00 PM\'] [quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Sep 6 2003, 09:58 PM\'] [quote name=\'PeterMarshallFan\' date=\'Sep 6 2003, 06:48 PM\'] Comeback: It's not well done and it's not rare. It's raw. ;-)
 [/quote]
Ernie was funnier.

[/quote]
I'm on Funny Money next week. :-P [/quote]
That's only because Ernie is dead. :-p [/quote]
 Exactly...even Ron Pearson did better than what I could do. :-P

whampyl03

GSN August 2003 Ratings
« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2003, 10:36:54 PM »
I can not see how the bad ratings is good news for the network. It is the only network dedicated to Game Show programming (for now at least). I never want to hear of a 40% drop, not even if just to say \"I told you so\". I sure hope they improve. I certainly do not want to see a radical shift in programming that low ratings over a long period would certainly stir up (for example: daily video game blocks).

JMHO,
Tim :-)

I really think, because of the 40% plummet, that Cronin will rid of as many game shows as possible, probably thinking that the game show has finally died, and do not pull in the Nielsons, and, over time, current day classics like \"The Jerry Springer Show\" (Do to the competition between sister and cousin over the same man, making it \"Gaming\" Television) and the Multiple dating shows (because dating is in reality, just a big game, making it gaming television) turning GSN into.....well.....every other channel on earth.

OK, maybe I'm over exaggerating just a bit, but you get my point.  Hopefully (I'm preying to god) that Cronin will resign or get fired before it gets that bad.

zachhoran

GSN August 2003 Ratings
« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2003, 10:41:39 PM »
[quote name=\'PeterMarshallFan\' date=\'Sep 6 2003, 08:59 PM\'] [ [/quote]
 Lin Bolen produced Backtalk as she did Stumpers, and Bobby Van hosted the pilot. That is all I know, and you probably found that while Googling about it.

Fedya

GSN August 2003 Ratings
« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2003, 11:46:39 PM »
Peter Marshall Fan wrote:
The Scrabble Challenge
See above. Yes, the game as it was did need some tweaks but overall was alot better than WinTuition, Friend or Foe, or Cram. The idea of them actually reworking it is laughable. The original producer, Steve Radosh, worked for Marty Pasetta Productions for many years and was a driving force behind one of the more underrated shows in the last 15 years, The Hollywood Game. Mark Cronin, the new producer? Well.....his name matches Rich's, and he produces Cram. If this farce even makes it on air after the changes, it'll probably have Icey holding the tiles while having her \"B\"s on display.

Sorry, but I have a problem with the idea of Scrabble Challenge, in that I don't think the normal Scrabble board game translates well to TV.  (We all know, of course, that the Woolery show didn't have much to do with the board game we all know and love.)  Further, I think there's a serious problem that we've seen (to a lesser extent) with Lingo, viz. the legal words problem.  The producers simply can't deem illegal words that are in a Scrabble dictionary (be it the OSPD2 or TWL98), and some of the obscure 2-letter words could be hit upon by chance by players (like XU or OE) -- or the producers could fail to weed out a bright player who's able to use all their tiles on an obscure (but perfectly legal) word like ANILINE or CINEASTE.  In short, a too-bright contestant would make the game exceedingly boring for the average folks at home here in the States (the same problem Countdown would have).

GSN would do better continuing to try to get the rights to air the Woolery Scrabble (no comments please about pecuniary issues -- that's why I used the word \"continuing\").  Doesn't Woolery bring in good ratings amongst the ladies?  :-)
-- Ted Schuerzinger, now blogging at http://justacineast.blogspot.com/

No Fark slashes were harmed in the making of this post

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
GSN August 2003 Ratings
« Reply #22 on: September 07, 2003, 12:10:29 AM »
[quote name=\'Fedya\' date=\'Sep 6 2003, 08:46 PM\'] In short, a too-bright contestant would make the game exceedingly boring for the average folks at home here in the States (the same problem Countdown would have).
 [/quote]
 And here we have living proof why GSN not only _doesn't_ cater to us, but they _shouldn't_. Among the complaints of how GSN has no class, here's a gripe about them aiming too high.

They can't even make the entirety of the die-hard community happy, apparently. So why should they try?
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Dan Sadro

GSN August 2003 Ratings
« Reply #23 on: September 07, 2003, 12:48:38 AM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Sep 6 2003, 11:10 PM\'] And here we have living proof why GSN not only _doesn't_ cater to us, but they _shouldn't_. Among the complaints of how GSN has no class, here's a gripe about them aiming too high.

They can't even make the entirety of the die-hard community happy, apparently. So why should they try? [/quote]
 I like your logic.

In fact, I'm going to write my senator and demand that he allow no bills to be passed, because he won't be able to make all of us die-hard beer and brat people happy.  So why should he try?

By having a diverse selection of originals, GSN is able to offer most everybody at least one or two game shows to like.  Nobody has to like every show, however GSN aims to please everybody as much as they can, including the stockholders.  And they're going to attempt to capitalize on every farce they can.

Kinda like most politicians.

JMFabiano

GSN August 2003 Ratings
« Reply #24 on: September 07, 2003, 02:27:28 AM »
[quote name=\'whampyl03\' date=\'Sep 6 2003, 03:29 PM\']
Boy, billcullen5555/bc1234/bc5 [or whatever he's calling himself this week] is gonna have a FIELD DAY with this at the GSN Boards.

That's suprising. The mods haven't tried to censor and ban him yet?

Actually, this could be bad for actual game shows on GSN.  It could re-infource Cronin's idea that the game show pulls in the lower numbers, meaning that more programming could be introduced to GSN that has absolutely noting to do with game shows in an attempt to get back to what was last August. [/quote]
 Well I look at it that way, or hopefully, this will be a sign to someone that it's time for a change.  Of course, I also hope Cronin won't pull a McMahon and not want to admit he's wrong, and that us internet game show fans \"know nothing about the business.\"  

Actually, there's an interesting thought.  All it needs is Bob Boden to legally change his middle name to something beginning with \"B,\" so he can call himself Triple B.  He'd also need to remind us semi-regularly that \"I am the Game (Show)!\"  Then Kevin Belinkoff can write a weekly column on GSN's website under the handle \"Good Ol' KB\" and state, once again, that us internet game show fans know nothing about the business.  Oh, and that Graham Elwood is a hoss, by gawd, and that Gene Rayburn should have learned how to work GSN style.  

Of course, if Icey appears on Cram accusing Graham of killing Allen Ludden, and then shows a video with her and a male mannequin in intimate contact, then I'll throw my hands up and quit, as I'd have seen everything.
I'm a pacifist, and even I would like to see a little more action.

JMFabiano

GSN August 2003 Ratings
« Reply #25 on: September 07, 2003, 02:41:12 AM »
[quote name=\'Seth Thrasher\' date=\'Sep 6 2003, 03:32 PM\'] And if he does, I'm seriously hoping that anyone with even the slightest connection to Sony Entertainment or Liberty Media gets on the phone, and starts working towards a firing of Cronin. [/quote]
 As another brief comment, I still find it hard to believe how Cronin, and his support (or lack of) have taken such a 180.  Seems like something Orwellian almost, a \"meet the new boss, same as the old boss\" scenario.

J.
I'm a pacifist, and even I would like to see a little more action.

Chelsea Thrasher

GSN August 2003 Ratings
« Reply #26 on: September 07, 2003, 10:16:08 AM »
It all started in April 2002.       It's been sliding ever since.

HSquares2003

GSN August 2003 Ratings
« Reply #27 on: September 07, 2003, 01:03:53 PM »
[quote name=\'Seth Thrasher\' date=\'Sep 7 2003, 10:16 AM\'] It all started in April 2002.       It's been sliding ever since. [/quote]
 Yep! I actually had some hopes for the programming dept. to wake the heck up and put SOME more classics on the lineup when they did Feast of Fav's on Thanksgiving. I am having trouble understanding why TTD and TJW, for example, made the Favorites but we haven't seen any of them since 2001. I think Cronin is intentionally trying to piss off the die hard fans and lose ratings. Silly idea, but it sure looks that way folks. And he has the ratings to show it for sure.

Why couldn't GSN do like other networks(mtv,mtv2,discovery has a zillion spinoff chaneels also) and have one channel for the originals and one for the classics. Might solve the problems once and for all!

PeterMarshallFan

GSN August 2003 Ratings
« Reply #28 on: September 07, 2003, 01:29:04 PM »
[quote name=\'HSquares2003\' date=\'Sep 7 2003, 01:03 PM\'] [quote name=\'Seth Thrasher\' date=\'Sep 7 2003, 10:16 AM\'] It all started in April 2002.       It's been sliding ever since. [/quote]
Yep! I actually had some hopes for the programming dept. to wake the heck up and put SOME more classics on the lineup when they did Feast of Fav's on Thanksgiving. I am having trouble understanding why TTD and TJW, for example, made the Favorites but we haven't seen any of them since 2001. I think Cronin is intentionally trying to piss off the die hard fans and lose ratings. Silly idea, but it sure looks that way folks. And he has the ratings to show it for sure.

Why couldn't GSN do like other networks(mtv,mtv2,discovery has a zillion spinoff chaneels also) and have one channel for the originals and one for the classics. Might solve the problems once and for all! [/quote]
 Simple: GSN ain't got the dough to do it.

IMO, this is the time there should be a MAJOR shakeup of what's on. The failing originals [FOF, WT] should be cut, the successful originals should get more eps, and the morning hours could be used to make the diehards happy. TTTT90 and Trivia Trap in 9:30 were a start, now let's replace the morning vertivision with some rare stuff like Play the Percentages, TTTT80, and Break the Bank. I think something like that would make a lot of people happy.

joelvanderveen

GSN August 2003 Ratings
« Reply #29 on: September 07, 2003, 01:41:55 PM »
I can say that ours was one household that was always changing the channel. GSN is just not worth the $8.04 extra we pay to get it -- the money could be used in so many other ways -- and so now we've dropped it. That picture of Mary Carey from Yahoo certainly does not make me regret dropping GSN.