Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Bring Em' Back  (Read 9845 times)

Neumms

Bring Em' Back
« Reply #30 on: January 18, 2007, 03:51:40 PM »
[quote name=\'calliaume\' post=\'143176\' date=\'Jan 13 2007, 10:14 PM\']
Maybe one of the reasons Match Game continues to be the highest-rated GSN rerun is its "anything can happen" atmosphere.  Both Joker and TTD had a "the same goddamn thing's gonna happen over and over again" quality.
[/quote]

Well put! I mean, that's common to a lot of game shows.

Maybe avoiding that trap is the reason Goodson/Todman shows worked so well. I think "Blockbusters" was the exception that proves the rule. As clever as aspects of the game were, and even with Uncle Bill, they fell into a groove.

Watching "High Rollers" on the Page O' Clips, it struck me that way. I think even Marshall "Hollywood Squares" fell into it--there were always great zingers, but by the time they got to the 80s the stars weren't surprising and the game felt exactly the same, day after day.

I've always felt if "Joker's Wild" had a good endgame, it could maybe break out of it.

calliaume

Bring Em' Back
« Reply #31 on: January 18, 2007, 11:36:52 PM »
[quote name=\'Neumms\' post=\'143769\' date=\'Jan 18 2007, 04:51 PM\']
Maybe avoiding that trap is the reason Goodson/Todman shows worked so well. I think "Blockbusters" was the exception that proves the rule. As clever as aspects of the game were, and even with Uncle Bill, they fell into a groove.

Watching "High Rollers" on the Page O' Clips, it struck me that way. I think even Marshall "Hollywood Squares" fell into it--there were always great zingers, but by the time they got to the 80s the stars weren't surprising and the game felt exactly the same, day after day.
[/quote]
Almost every game show seems the same from day to day -- that even happened to MG at times.  Only The Gong Show (which barely qualifies as a game show) really fell out of that altogether, and that burned out lightning fast.

Most of the B-E games bored me -- even Break the Bank and Hollywood Connection, in comparison to their heritage shows, seemed too staid by comparison.  (My thoughts for that are Jim Lange probably wouldn't have known what to do if the celebs went way off the page, and the BtB celebs were probably scared to death they'd fall of the board.)

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
Bring Em' Back
« Reply #32 on: January 19, 2007, 02:29:19 AM »
[quote name=\'Sonic Whammy\' post=\'143324\' date=\'Jan 15 2007, 12:47 AM\']
But we liked him enough to go two more years, so hey, share some quarters and let me have a pull.
[/quote]
I suppose I'm one of the few that wished Jim Peck would have gotten the job instead?
--Mark
Phil 4:13

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Bring Em' Back
« Reply #33 on: January 19, 2007, 02:54:44 AM »
[quote name=\'Modor\' post=\'143835\' date=\'Jan 18 2007, 11:29 PM\']
I suppose I'm one of the few that wished Jim Peck would have gotten the job instead?
[/quote]
And just like that, "Tomarkenites" become "Peckerwoods." :)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

ChuckNet

Bring Em' Back
« Reply #34 on: January 27, 2007, 11:03:53 PM »
[quote name=\'Modor\' post=\'143835\' date=\'Jan 19 2007, 02:29 AM\']
[/quote]

Count me among them...as much as I enjoy Cullen, TJW just wasn't his kind of show...Peck was better equipped to handle the fast-paced gameplay associated w/it, and I think Barry's original plan to hand the show off to Peck would've worked better.

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious "Chuckie Baby")