Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Celebrities who acted like jerks...  (Read 20019 times)

aaron sica

Celebrities who acted like jerks...
« on: July 23, 2006, 11:01:20 PM »
After having Daveromanjr, ChuckNet, and Mystery7 over for a weekend of game shows and fellowship, I finally got to see the last set of "The $25,000 Pyramid"'s week of shows with with Melody Thomas (Scott) and Tony Danza.

For those who may not know, Tony Danza acted like a complete moron (walking off the set after, when trying to describe "torpedo", he actually said the word) to the point where Dick Clark actually asked him if he's composed himself.

Besides he (and George Peppard, of course) what other celebrities were never invited back to a show because of how they acted?
« Last Edit: July 23, 2006, 11:09:16 PM by aaron sica »

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2006, 11:04:03 PM »
Was William Shatner ever invited back to The $20,000 Pyramid after flinging a chair?
--Mark
Phil 4:13

BrandonFG

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2006, 11:07:18 PM »
Even though he was a regular, I'd say Richard Dawson on MG.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

toddyo

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2006, 11:21:56 PM »
Kay Stevens on MG.  My god...the most annoying celebrity I can ever recall.

PYLW

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2006, 02:07:45 AM »
[quote name=\'toddyo\' post=\'124883\' date=\'Jul 23 2006, 11:21 PM\']
Kay Stevens on MG.  My god...the most annoying celebrity I can ever recall.
[/quote]

She wasn't really a jerk, she was more like...an annoying camera hog?

Esoteric Eric

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2006, 09:08:10 AM »
[quote name=\'PYLW\' post=\'124914\' date=\'Jul 23 2006, 11:07 PM\'][quote name=\'toddyo\' post=\'124883\' date=\'Jul 23 2006, 11:21 PM\']Kay(e) Stevens on MG.  My god...the most annoying celebrity I can ever recall.[/quote]She wasn't really a jerk, she was more like...an annoying camera hog?[/quote]Curiously, per an MG spreadsheet I developed using the panel info from matchgame.com (which has once again Vanished Mysteriously), Kaye appeared on seven weeks' worth of MG '74, and that's it.  (I also STR Kaye flirting with handsome male contestants and her infectious laugh (as well as Conny Van Dyke's) on Rhyme and Reason, but that show seemed to thrive on so-called "jerk" celebs (excluding Nipsey, of course))

Esoteric Eric... I had lost all recollection that Dawson appeared on R&R until I saw it again on Page O' Clips; I find it interesting that he would do what was so obviously an ersatz version of MG
Eric Smallman; "...I don't think God ever forgave me for Phyllis Newman..." - "Jimmy Carter" (Dan Aykroyd), SNL, 1976

Ian Wallis

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2006, 09:18:02 AM »
I had lost all recollection that Dawson appeared on R&R until I saw it again on Page O' Clips; I find it interesting that he would do what was so obviously an ersatz version of MG

That was the pilot that Richard appeared on.  I can't remember if he also appeared on a regular week (I'll have to go back and check my TVGuides).  Sometimes they'd re-use the best contestants for pilot episodes (that was even talked about at the Congress), and I guess the same could hold true for celebrities if it would help sell a show.
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2006, 10:12:27 AM »
Richard was never on the actual R&R series.  How can one actually tell if someone is not invited back?  Maybe there's a scheduling conflict, logistics, no outside show to promote, etc.?  For example, I thought Michael Landon was kinda weird on his week of MG'73, but I figured he didn't need to or have time to do any game shows after Little House was in the pipeline and in production, and not that he wasn't invited back.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2006, 10:51:48 AM »
Similar question to Mark's--what about Tony Randall on P+ (start with the "marijuana" puzzle and work your way up)?  Was he never invited back, or was he offered but declined?

Doug -- and the countdown to 2100 continues
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

uncamark

« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2006, 12:06:13 PM »
[quote name=\'SRIV94\' post=\'124935\' date=\'Jul 24 2006, 09:51 AM\']
Similar question to Mark's--what about Tony Randall on P+ (start with the "marijuana" puzzle and work your way up)?  Was he never invited back, or was he offered but declined?[/quote]

I've always had the view that he simply didn't care for this version of "Password" and preferred his "Password" pure--at least that's the impression I've always had from his one week on "Plus."

JCGames

« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2006, 08:44:20 PM »
And wasn't there a guest panelist on What's My Line? who one night guessed all the contestants' occupations as well as the mystery guest? Supposedly he was never invited back because they found out that a friend of his in the audience read the contestants' lines on the studio monitor and began hand-signaling the panelist the answers.

whewfan

« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2006, 09:23:31 PM »
Kin Shriner was certainly no prize when he appeared on MG 98. It was blatantly obvious he didn't want to be there, and was completely turned off by all the hijinks that happened during the show. He even refuses to join in with the panel at the end of the show when they're doing the usual dancing and goofing off. Oddly enough, he appeared on the show for at least a few weeks.

The same could be said for many soap stars on MG. Diedre Hall sort of had that "Ok, let's just get this overwith" look about her on MG/HS, and there were also soap stars on MG 90 that weren't having much fun either.

While this wouldn't qualify as acting "like a jerk", Jaye P. Morgan of course was fired by NBC for flashing Chuck Barris on The Gong Show. She would appear briefly on the last show during Gene Gene's final dancing segment.

calliaume

« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2006, 09:44:02 PM »
Not that she ever would have been invited back anyway, but Naomi Judd baited her opponents on Celebrity Jeopardy (Teri Garr and Jane Curtin) to the point where I was wondering which one would strangle her first.

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2006, 09:51:08 PM »
[quote name=\'whewfan\' post=\'125027\' date=\'Jul 24 2006, 08:23 PM\']
While this wouldn't qualify as acting "like a jerk", Jaye P. Morgan of course was fired by NBC for flashing Chuck Barris on The Gong Show. She would appear briefly on the last show during Gene Gene's final dancing segment.
[/quote]
I'd quibble with that--a little.  GONG did continue for two syndie nighttime seasons (one taped at NBC concurrently with the last of the daytime GONGs, the other moved to the Chuck Barris Stages [with DATING, NEWLYWED and 3AC in tow]) and Jaye appeared in episodes during both of those seasons.  Yes, technically NBC banned her, but it's not as if she was barred from working on the lot again.

As happenstance would have it, Jaye did do the following week's shows after the flash (I'm guessing they were taped the next day).

Doug -- and the countdown to 2100 continues
« Last Edit: July 24, 2006, 09:53:54 PM by SRIV94 »
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2006, 10:07:11 PM »
For some reason, two images came to mind when I saw this thread.  One is a memory of Paul Lynde being openly hostile to one of the contestants on a Squares episode.  I wish I could be more specific, he was probably rude to a lot of them, but in the happy-happy world of game shows, that's always stuck with me.

The other memory I have is of Marty Feldman attempting to cheat on Celebrity Sweepstakes.  After hearing the correct answer in the double-up round, he gave that answer verbally even though he had written something else.  They quickly called him on it, of course, but in the era before that sort of stuff was reshot and edited, man was it awkward television.  I don't remember him returning.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.