Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: GSN Top 50 -- personal favorites ....  (Read 7003 times)

FeudDude

GSN Top 50 -- personal favorites ....
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2006, 06:23:39 PM »
I'd have to concur about Go, Break the Bank, Whew!, and NYSI.  I know the latter show is in the G-T library, but I just can't see them ranking it above Blockbusters.  

On the other hand, I wouldn't be too surprised to see High Rollers turn up.

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2006, 09:19:17 PM »
Given that GSN is making the list themselves, we can assume that it will be tempered somewhat by the shows to which they have easier access.  Therefore, I wouldn't rule out just about any G-T show with a year or more under its belt.  My thought is that Now You See It might very well turn up.  (50 is an awful lot of game shows.)  And while I'd love them to mention Go, if they're going to pick a Stewart near-miss, it's going to be Chain Reaction, don't you think?

What gets the shaft is 60s-70s era stuff that they'll think their audience won't remember or care about.  For Cullen shows, that means Eye Guess and Three On A Match, two games that each had decent three-year runs.  That means they were each as successful as Press Your Luck, which I fear is headed for the top-twenty.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

bandit_bobby

« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2006, 12:00:16 AM »
It's quite obvious TPIR won't be on there for reasons we shouldn't need to repeat again.

SteveR

« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2006, 12:02:46 AM »
[quote name=\'bandit_bobby\' post=\'124769\' date=\'Jul 22 2006, 12:00 AM\']
It's quite obvious TPIR won't be on there for reasons we shouldn't need to repeat again.
[/quote]
This deserves a response better than I am capable of providing.

Take a number .....

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2006, 12:49:07 AM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'124763\' date=\'Jul 21 2006, 08:19 PM\']
That means they were each as successful as Press Your Luck, which I fear is headed for the top-twenty.
[/quote]
I personally wouldn't be surprised if it ended in the top 5.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

BrandonFG

« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2006, 01:04:50 AM »
[/quote]
Actually, how about we beat this dead horse again? Just to spite you.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Johnissoevil

« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2006, 02:33:52 AM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' post=\'124776\' date=\'Jul 22 2006, 01:04 AM\']
[/quote]
Actually, how about we beat this dead horse again? Just to spite you.
[/quote]

I'd actually laugh if GSN was able to get one episode for a one-time only airing.  Then the bandit guy can eat some crow.
In loving memory of my father, Curtis Fenner 4/29/44-8/13/15

MrBuddwing

« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2006, 02:50:04 AM »
I'd like to see some true originals - that is to say, episodes from the original versions of some of the game shows I grew up with.

I hear that a single videotaped episode of the first "Match Game" series exists. I'd like to see that. (Yes, I know, visit the Museum of TV & Radio.)

Ditto for that sole surviving color videotape of the original "Jeopardy!" hosted by Art Fleming.

Something from "The $10,000 Pyramid" would be nice.

If only "P.D.Q." hadn't been completely wiped.

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #23 on: July 22, 2006, 03:52:52 AM »
[quote name=\'MrBuddwing\' post=\'124778\' date=\'Jul 22 2006, 01:50 AM\']
I hear that a single videotaped episode of the first "Match Game" series exists. I'd like to see that. (Yes, I know, visit the Museum of TV & Radio.) [/quote]
I believe GSN has at least 3...and I think there's up to 9 around.  GSN has aired this in the past.

Ditto for that sole surviving color videotape of the original "Jeopardy!" hosted by Art Fleming.
I'm also positive that there's more than the 2000th episode around.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #24 on: July 22, 2006, 05:34:50 AM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'124763\' date=\'Jul 21 2006, 06:19 PM\']
And while I'd love them to mention Go, if they're going to pick a Stewart near-miss, it's going to be Chain Reaction, don't you think?
[/quote]
Especially since GSN has a history of...well, I won't use the term "rigging", but at the same time I have to believe it was no small coincidence that all three of their originals at the time wound up in the higher spots on the Feast Of Favorites...such lists so that they promote their own programming.

And it wouldn't even be a rig here, it's a completely subjective list and they can do what they want, and if they think it serves the network's best interests to completely blow smoke up our ass and elevate Chain Reaction (mind you, I love the show, but I would totally not put it past GSN to bump it a few slots if they thought it would get more interest in their revival), they'll do it.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Tim L

« Reply #25 on: July 22, 2006, 08:42:17 AM »
[quote name=\'MrBuddwing\' post=\'124778\' date=\'Jul 22 2006, 02:50 AM\']

If only "P.D.Q." hadn't been completely wiped.
[/quote]

Not to say GSN can air it, but I do have a copy of the PDQ Pilot (Black and White) that I purchased from Shokus Video Dealer a few weeks ago..So there is at least that one episode

DrBear

« Reply #26 on: July 22, 2006, 08:52:39 AM »
Getting back to topic...

Two I wish might be on there

-The Who, What or Where Game - an interesting mix of strategy and (at the time, at least for me) hard questions.

Split Second - Fast Q&A action and again some strategy - pick the answer you know that you think your opponents might not so you can get more points. I think this one might draw some of the Jeopardy crowd if revived.
(Gotta figure out a new end game though - and I've got an idea. Remind me to tell you about it sometime.)
This isn't a plug, but you can ask me about my book.

Don Howard

« Reply #27 on: July 22, 2006, 10:27:25 AM »
Since my top two choices of Break The Bank and Now You See It have been offered, I'm going to go out a twig and hope that an episode of The Challengers can get in there.

Johnissoevil

« Reply #28 on: July 23, 2006, 03:23:38 AM »
I've come up with 2, VERY slim chance on both, if even at all...

$1,000,000 Chance of a Lifetime and Fun House
In loving memory of my father, Curtis Fenner 4/29/44-8/13/15

rebelwrest

« Reply #29 on: July 25, 2006, 12:46:09 AM »
[quote name=\'Johnissoevil\' post=\'124813\' date=\'Jul 23 2006, 03:23 AM\']
I've come up with 2, VERY slim chance on both, if even at all...

$1,000,000 Chance of a Lifetime and Fun House
[/quote]

If Fun House makes the list then Double Dare (Nickelodeon) should be higher.  I would be angry if Double Dare didn't make the list.  Double Dare holds the distinction as probably the best kids game show.  Double Dare is probably the most important program ever aired on Nickelodeon because after its premiere the show quadrupled Nickelodeon's viewership on a channel that was fledging.  I think TV Guide got it right when they ranked Double Dare #29, it is the highest ranking cable and kids game show on the list.  The list is probably rigged to favor the shows they have the rights to, but still Double Dare should make the list.
My favorite Win Ben Stein's Money Category:

Where Am I Doc? Urinalysis Restaurant.