Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: GSN Top 50 -- personal favorites ....  (Read 7009 times)

SteveRep

GSN Top 50 -- personal favorites ....
« on: July 21, 2006, 03:22:05 PM »
I'd like to think it's fairly obvious as to what the top ~30 shows in the countdown will be.

This thread is for those fringe shows. Shows that each of us liked but didn't catch on with the masses. They weren't on for terribly long and might not even make the Top 50. You're hoping that it does but pretty much resigned that it just won't cut the mustard.

But, in your mind, you know it was better than Studs.

So, go ahead and post one of those shows that struck your fancy and you're holding out hope that it just might make the list.

Mine is Go! I tend to go for shows that emphasize communication between two (and in this case, more than two) people.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2006, 03:28:59 PM »
[quote name=\'SteveRep\' post=\'124702\' date=\'Jul 21 2006, 12:22 PM\']
Mine is Go! I tend to go for shows that emphasize communication between two (and in this case, more than two) people.
[/quote]
Absolutely, completely, and totally, without question, I concur. My favorite 13-weeks-and-out show ever. Period.

(Whew! won't make the list, either, and that's up there with Go, 'cept it lasted longer than 13 weeks.)

(That said, I really can't think of a game show I WOULDN'T rather watch than Studs. A equally-interesting thread (and I'm not suggesting threadjacking, folks, please do keep it to the guilty-pleasures theme that Steve is asking for) might be to list those shows you would watch Studs INSTEAD OF.)
« Last Edit: July 21, 2006, 03:30:22 PM by clemon79 »
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Blanquepage

• "Pacman cereal: it eats YOU!" - Geoff, Starcade
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2006, 03:33:50 PM »
Celebrity Sweepstakes and Go are both in my top 10 faves. I doubt either one of them will be there.

Bullseye, Break the Bank, Three on a Match, Eye Guess, & Rhyme and Reason are all in my top 50...but I doubt any one of them will make it. blah.

--Jamie

clemon79

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2006, 03:36:53 PM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Fiono Coyne\' post=\'124707\' date=\'Jul 21 2006, 12:33 PM\']
Rhyme and Reason
[/quote]
In at least this case, I can totally understand it. Tell me what you saw in what was basically a cheesy Match Game clone (not so much as Hollywood Connection, but a clone nonetheless) with a poorer host?

aaron sica

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2006, 04:22:16 PM »
My personal favorite is definitely Whew!, and it's not just because my good friend Randy was on it. I absolutely loved the show in general. A show that if brought back either in reruns or a new version, I would never miss.

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2006, 04:48:02 PM »
My all time favorite was "The Big Showdown." For me it filled a void left by the departure of the original J!, plus it had some twists that made things quite interesting.  One of Score's best music packages, a great rookie host in Jim Peck, the dulcet tones of Dan Daniel, fantastic Ron Baldwin set (thanks to that staircase we still have one existing tape!), exciting (if elusive) bonus round----oh and Heather Cunningham.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

Blanquepage

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2006, 04:49:52 PM »
In at least this case, I can totally understand it. Tell me what you saw in what was basically a cheesy Match Game clone (not so much as Hollywood Connection, but a clone nonetheless) with a poorer host?

Match Game clone, yes. Even though R&R is nowhere near the top of my list, the overall game and the humor within it made it a fun, and very edgy MG clone. Perhaps that's the biggest reason I liked it: that 1970s edginess.

(Incidentally, R&R is #48 on my PoC list of Top 50.)

--Jamie
« Last Edit: July 21, 2006, 04:50:35 PM by Jimmy Fiono Coyne »

cweaver

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2006, 04:56:12 PM »
My jaw would hit the floor if I tuned in one night and saw an episode of 1968's "Treasure Isle" unfurl.  What a fun show, very underrated.  I believe it would have been a longer running classic if it didn't just stick to those three games, and instead rotated about 25-30 in and out like the later version of "The Price is Right" did.  And man, you can't beat that for a show opening--host and contestants speeding up in a boat as Tom Jones (or a great sound-alike) sings the theme!

Would also like to see "Celebrity Sweepstakes" (I know, a poor man's "Hollywood Square"), "Eye Guess" or "The Face is Familiar."

PYLW

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2006, 05:02:17 PM »
Celebrity Sweepstakes is a favorite of mine, and I really like Go! Another personal favorite of mine that I may be in the minority in is Wordplay. Haven't seen that since those days when I'd be sick and have nothing to watch in the mornings...

High Rollers is another favorite of mine aswell (Wink's version, I wasn't around long enough in this world during Trebek's runs.).

Blanquepage

« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2006, 05:16:18 PM »
Would also like to see "Celebrity Sweepstakes" (I know, a poor man's "Hollywood Square")

I'm not so sure I'd call it that. It was a bit more intelligent than 'Squares', if you ask me. Unlike HSQ, Break the Bank, Battlestars etc, the stars weren't furnished with any of the answers.
Fun stuff.

--Jamie

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2006, 05:22:06 PM »
Favorite show of mine most likely to not make it?  NYSI.

EDIT:  Changed my mind about not posting an explanation. :)

Yes, it's conceivable it could make the list, but I'd say it's not likely due to its 13-month run (total of less than two years if you count Chuck Henry's version).  By contrast, GONG ran just a shade over two years on NBC daytime (with four syndie nighttime seasons thrown in as well)--and the shows were reran in daily syndie plus a long run on USA (not to mention GSN carrying it for about about a year and a half).  GONG is likely to make the list (if the clip of Arte, Jaye P. and [DOUBLE EDIT]Steve Martin banging the gong is any indication).

Doug -- and the countdown to 2100 continues
« Last Edit: July 26, 2006, 01:59:35 PM by SRIV94 »
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

clemon79

« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2006, 05:27:06 PM »
Ooh, good answer. Didn't think of that one myself. They should have a few in the library, too.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2006, 05:27:27 PM by clemon79 »

PYLW

« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2006, 05:27:56 PM »
Heh, I thought that show was okay, I only remember the Chuck Henry version. I liked him, but I thought it was kind of...I don't know really, off?

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2006, 05:35:02 PM »
[quote name=\'PYLW\' post=\'124733\' date=\'Jul 21 2006, 04:27 PM\']
Heh, I thought that show was okay, I only remember the Chuck Henry version. I liked him, but I thought it was kind of...I don't know really, off?
[/quote]
If you saw the Narz version, you'd appreciate it a little more.  But then we already knew how bad Henry's version was.

I saw Henry covering the wildfires while I was out in L.A.  Decent news reporter.  Awful game show host.

Doug -- and the countdown to 2100 continues
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

Ian Wallis

« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2006, 06:02:44 PM »
Some favs of mine that likely won't make it:  Break the Bank, Whew and Celebrity Sweepstakes.
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!