Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Card Sharks Perry Questions  (Read 2271 times)

Sonic Whammy

Card Sharks Perry Questions
« on: July 27, 2006, 03:02:29 PM »
At first, I was going to let this slide, but I'm watching today's edition of Perry's Card Sharks, and I gotta put on the brakes here.

I'm sure that a lot of us here bought the 25th anniversary edition of CS when it came out a couple years ago (and perhaps bought a couple giant decks of Bicycle cards with it :-) Well, for anyone that has it, I'm sure you've probably noticed that in today's episode alone, EIGHT of the ten questions asked in the episode appeared as questions in the survey book of the game.

But wait, it gets better:

> I counted another 5 questions over the past two days, so that's 13 total so far.
> All of the questions I've recognized were among the first ones in that survey book of the box game.
> In all but one case, the answers to the questions were either exactly the same as the book, or very close.

I mean, I figured they borrowed from the show to a certain extent, but yikes, this is getting ridiculous! And Perry's edition, no less! At least borrow from Eubanks and Rafferty so it's slightly more recent. I haven't heard ONE question from those versions yet.

*sigh* I digress...
Brian Sapinski

Just Brian Sapinski... for now

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2006, 04:06:22 PM »
[quote name=\'Sonic Whammy\' post=\'125367\' date=\'Jul 27 2006, 12:02 PM\']
I mean, I figured they borrowed from the show to a certain extent, but yikes, this is getting ridiculous!
[/quote]
It's an Endless Games product. Why in the WORLD did you think they would do timely and relevant research on the material they include in that game?
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Sonic Whammy

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2006, 09:04:03 PM »
Touche, Chris. And I can say that now that I have a first hand example.

I think the reason I'm getting such a shock/kick out of this is because so many of these questions are popping up at one time. Like said, 13 in 3 days. Normally you'd think a question here and there dispersed over the whole run, not clustered up in one shot.
Brian Sapinski

clemon79

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2006, 09:47:43 PM »
[quote name=\'Sonic Whammy\' post=\'125415\' date=\'Jul 27 2006, 06:04 PM\']
Like said, 13 in 3 days. Normally you'd think a question here and there dispersed over the whole run, not clustered up in one shot.
[/quote]
Why?

If you were gonna kife questions from the show, or even pay G/T for the rights to use some, what's gonna happen? They're gonna pull a big stack of shows out of the library, sit down, and transcribe the questions. And likely that big stack of shows is going to be consecutive in the run, because that's just the easiest way to do it and Endless doesn't give two tin ones exactly where the material comes from, because only geeks like us would even notice.

Sonic Whammy

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2006, 02:10:17 PM »
OK, now I'm just laughing it up for kicks. Watching now as I write this, and the first three questions are also right there in the early part of the book. Don't know about the answers, though.

I thank you, Chris, for once having a level-headed conversation with me and not blasting me out of the sky. (Don't you dare...)
Brian Sapinski

clemon79

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2006, 02:25:29 PM »
[quote name=\'Sonic Whammy\' post=\'125505\' date=\'Jul 28 2006, 11:10 AM\']
I thank you, Chris, for once having a level-headed conversation with me and not blasting me out of the sky. (Don't you dare...)
[/quote]
Well, you make a level-headed point, you get a level-headed conversation. Simple. :)

Joe Mello

• has hit the time release button
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2006, 02:38:17 PM »
Here's something to think about: Aside from the current events and pop culture questions (which maybe occured a couple times per episode) these questions could just as easily be asked today, and if the sample was truly random, then there wouldn't be much deviation if you took it again.  So, instead of spending money on new survey groups (which probably isn't cheap) you simply take questions from the show.

(Incidentally, I just saw a Eubanks CS question asked on a Perry CS aired the day before.  Not sure what this means, but I thought it was worth noting.)

Family Feud had something similar occur with questions from earlier reappearing later.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2006, 02:41:08 PM by Joe Mello »
This signature is currently under construction.

clemon79

« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2006, 02:57:44 PM »
[quote name=\'Joe Mello\' post=\'125511\' date=\'Jul 28 2006, 11:38 AM\']
Here's something to think about: Aside from the current events and pop culture questions (which maybe occured a couple times per episode) these questions could just as easily be asked today, and if the sample was truly random, then there wouldn't be much deviation if you took it again.  So, instead of spending money on new survey groups (which probably isn't cheap) you simply take questions from the show.
[/quote]
Trust me, Endless didn't even bother to justify it that far. Here's how the discussion undoubtedly went:

Executive X: "So how are we gonna get content for the Card Sharks game?"

Executive Y: "Well, far and away the cheapest solution would be to license some content from Fremantle."

Exec X: "Brilliant! What's for lunch?"

Exec Y: "I smell feet."
« Last Edit: July 28, 2006, 02:58:02 PM by clemon79 »