Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: $100,000 Pyramid DVD Game  (Read 9239 times)

jrjgames

$100,000 Pyramid DVD Game
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2006, 11:19:32 AM »
BTW, if anyone cares, I returned Pyramid to Kmart for a new one, and it does the same things.  I'll try the company now.  So either 1) there are some players that this thing just doesn't work on OR there are bum copies on the market.

Johnny

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2006, 02:24:36 PM »
[quote name=\'jrjgames\' post=\'125616\' date=\'Jul 29 2006, 08:19 AM\']
So either 1) there are some players that this thing just doesn't work on
[/quote]
This is the FAR more likely option. Did you try whatever disk you have on, say, a friend's machine?
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

jrjgames

« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2006, 03:32:44 AM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'125621\' date=\'Jul 29 2006, 02:24 PM\']
[quote name=\'jrjgames\' post=\'125616\' date=\'Jul 29 2006, 08:19 AM\']
So either 1) there are some players that this thing just doesn't work on
[/quote]
This is the FAR more likely option. Did you try whatever disk you have on, say, a friend's machine?
[/quote]

I have a BRAND NEW SONY RECORDER that is 3 days old, so if you're telling me a brand new DVD player can't play a brand new DVD game, something is wrong.

John

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2006, 04:11:14 AM »
[quote name=\'jrjgames\' post=\'125659\' date=\'Jul 30 2006, 12:32 AM\']
I have a BRAND NEW SONY RECORDER that is 3 days old, so if you're telling me a brand new DVD player can't play a brand new DVD game, something is wrong.
[/quote]
Yeah. That's pretty much exactly what I'm telling you. Or at least that I won't rule that possibility out.

I will say it again, because apparently it didn't get through last time: THESE ARE NONSTANDARD DVDs. DVD players are tested to play movies, not things like this. And there IS quite a significant difference.

SHOULD a new unit have a greater chance of playing a not-just-a-movie-DVD than an older one? Sure. Would I guarantee it? Hells no. And until you tell me that you tried the disc on a couple other machines (and by that I mean a couple other set-top machines; a DVD-ROM drive can be just as weird) and had the same problem, I'm gonna accept that as a possibility that can and should be eliminated before blaming the manufacturer, because it's trivial to do so.

I'm not saying the DVD isn't defective. I AM saying that, Occam's Razor being what it is, some other possibilities need to be eliminated before coming to that conclusion.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2006, 02:04:46 PM by clemon79 »
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2006, 11:06:39 AM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'125661\' date=\'Jul 30 2006, 04:11 AM\'][quote name=\'jrjgames\' post=\'125659\' date=\'Jul 30 2006, 12:32 AM\']I have a BRAND NEW SONY RECORDER that is 3 days old, so if you're telling me a brand new DVD player can't play a brand new DVD game, something is wrong.[/quote]Yeah. That's pretty much exactly what I'm telling you. Or at least that I won't rule that possibility out.[/quote]
I'm with Chris on this one.  Each year, I make thousands of DVD-R copies of high school and community performances.  Compatibility issues are rare, but when they happen they are totally unpredictable.  Might be an old machine, might be a new one.  Might be the brand of disc I used, might be the software I used to burn the disc.  You just never know.

Meanwhile, of course, all of this means nothing to the person who can't play the DVD, because the movies he rents from Blockbuster play fine so therefore my disc MUST be defective.  What Chris and I are both saying is that it's just not that simple.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.