Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: $100,000 Pyramid DVD Game  (Read 9230 times)

bwood

$100,000 Pyramid DVD Game
« on: July 14, 2006, 07:18:32 PM »
Went looking for the DoND DVD game and came home with this........(never found DoND)
I have to say I didn't know this one was coming out, and I'm usually good at keeping up on this stuff. I found it at K-Mart for $19.99 and picked it up. The game is made by MGA. Contents are the DVD and a sand timer.
I'll try my best to describe it now, but I haven't messed with it much yet.
It's set up in "episodes" like the Shout About ..... games are.  The look of it is a mixture of Clark's and Osmond's Pyramids (leaning more towards Osmonds, dark set, etc). Really the only thing from Clarks would be the triangular "borders" on each side of the Pyramid, which there are four of on this one, the logo, and the "host" podium (host is not seen, only heard). I guess it's a kind of an "in the round" set. The set has one central "rotating" Pyramid. No separate pyramids for main game/winner's circle. No contestant desks.  Score is kept on the rotating pyramid and the clues show up there too, there is one side of the 4- sided pyramid that has one large screen that displays clues and winnings. The music is like WWTBAM's music. You can't pick any category you want in the main game, you pick 1st from the bottom tier, then once those are gone, you can pick from the remaining 3. The score is not measured in points, it's measured in money. Correct answers nets your team $2000. For a correct answer you push  the  up arrow on your DVD remote, illegal clues you push the right arrow, pass you push the down arrow and for time's up, the left arrow. BOTH teams play the Winner's Circle to try to add to their bank. Bottom row worth $6000 each, middle row worth $10,000 each and the top is worth $20,000. The team with the most money after they each play the Winner's Circle wins the game, no round two. The look of it is odd, and the play is a little different, but this might be a good party game. I'll try it in a group setting down the road. The credits in the game show production design drawings when the game was being put together and some of the drawings showed the game with more of a classic flare to it than a modern one (chase lights on the borders, sign at the top, actual Winner's Circle on stage, etc), but they chose to make it more of an original work. It's kind of cool, but really doesn't look like you think a Pyramid game would.
If I get around to it, I may post some pics and/or video if anyone's interested. I dont have vidcap software, so it would be me taping my tv with my digital camcorder, but something's better than nothing I guess.

bwood

« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2006, 12:49:19 AM »
I made a little video and posted it to YouTube. It's not the greatest quality, but you can see how this thing looks and works.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=arRo3pzDAPU
« Last Edit: July 15, 2006, 12:49:47 AM by bwood »

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2006, 12:51:54 AM »
Gee, you just beat me to this. I saw it when my friends and I went by K-Mart and it looks really, really cheap. The only graphic on the entire packaging that looked familiar was the tiny Sony logo on the back - they must've used WordArt to do the main box logo.

Your video was better than I expected though. Not by much, but better. And I dare say their virtual set had more pizazz than the walls of scaffolding on Donnymid.

-Jason
« Last Edit: July 15, 2006, 01:06:12 AM by JasonA1 »
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

FOXSportsFan

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2006, 01:14:21 AM »
[quote name=\'bwood\' post=\'124233\' date=\'Jul 15 2006, 12:49 AM\']
I made a little video and posted it to YouTube. It's not the greatest quality, but you can see how this thing looks and works.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=arRo3pzDAPU
[/quote]

The Rock must have had a hand in this...the Pyramid thanks you...gee I've always wanted to see the Pyramid refer to itself in the third person.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2006, 01:15:14 AM by FOXSportsFan »

Matteo

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2006, 01:50:25 AM »
Haha, I was also looking for the DoND DVD Game today and saw this in KMart, but I didn't buy it because it just looked so cheap. Looks better than I thought it would I guess, still waiting for DoND though.

itiparanoid13

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2006, 08:11:32 AM »
Wow, just wow.  I never thought I would pine to see the Osmond version of Pyramid ever.  Now I do.  Exactly how hard was it to put the original version on DVD?  Surely it couldn't have been as big of a bother as this.  Meanwhile, I did enjoy the set and music.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2006, 02:36:53 PM »
Yeah, the "set" rendering was neat, but in pretty much every other respect, that looked like hot buttered ass.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

LA the DJ

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2006, 05:10:35 AM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'124258\' date=\'Jul 15 2006, 02:36 PM\']
Yeah, the "set" rendering was neat, but in pretty much every other respect, that looked like hot buttered ass.
[/quote]

Yes. It's like the creators said "How could the Donny version's set have possibly been worse? TADA! Here it is!

Whoever created this definitely should have looked at the excellent Sierra PC version from a few years back.
It's a shame they never got to Match Game as planned.
Help control the moron population, if you know a moron, kick him in a strategic location.

FlashStash

« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2006, 04:40:39 PM »
Everyone's missing out on one thing which makes the graphics immaterial...

This is the perfect game for a portable DVD player.  No one's going to care about the graphics on the small screen, and the portable DVD player makes the perfect monitor for the clue giver.  Now if I could just find a copy!

FS

clemon79

« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2006, 04:50:22 PM »
[quote name=\'FlashStash\' post=\'124293\' date=\'Jul 16 2006, 01:40 PM\']
Everyone's missing out on one thing which makes the graphics immaterial...

This is the perfect game for a portable DVD player.
[/quote]
For me it had nothing to do with the graphics; the graphics were the GOOD part. It was the ubercheap production values and those obnoxious pregnant pauses between clues and such (complete with a pause in the music) that made it worthless to me.
Now if I could just find a copy!
Well, um, knock yourself out. I'm thinking if you can hold off a little bit you should be able to get it for a pittance, too. :)

jrjgames

« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2006, 06:54:06 PM »
So I go out today and purchase the game at Kmart.

I bring it home, pop it in and play game 1.

BODY PARTS...ready go...

Nothing appears, just menacing music...I click correct, next, nothing...

I have a DVD that have NO CLUES on the disc.

So I decide to call the 800 # on the box.  I get an MGAE represenative on the phone.  I very nicely say..."Hello, I'm having a problem with your $100,000 Pyramid DVD game."  He says, "We don't make that game!".  "Is this MGA, Roscoe Blvd?"  "Yes".  "Ok, well then this is your game."  "Hang on..........hold.....Ok, no one here at the company has any idea what game you're talking about."

It took me 15 minutes trying to convince the company that actually were the publisher of this game.  So my "no clues on dvd problem" took a backseat.

So I have no idea if I just got a back disc or what...I'm supposed to get a call back tomorrow.

Great company!

Johnny

clemon79

« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2006, 07:58:59 PM »
[quote name=\'jrjgames\' post=\'124302\' date=\'Jul 16 2006, 03:54 PM\']
So I have no idea if I just got a back disc or what...I'm supposed to get a call back tomorrow.
[/quote]
Have you tried said disc in a different DVD player? These things are notorious for not working in some players, since they are VERY NOT Red Book (or whatever the DVD equivalent thereof is) standardized.

jrjgames

« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2006, 09:31:38 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'124303\' date=\'Jul 16 2006, 07:58 PM\']
[quote name=\'jrjgames\' post=\'124302\' date=\'Jul 16 2006, 03:54 PM\']
[/quote]
Have you tried said disc in a different DVD player? These things are notorious for not working in some players, since they are VERY NOT Red Book (or whatever the DVD equivalent thereof is) standardized.
[/quote]

I have a ONE day old brand new Sony DVD recorder and I tried it on my laptop...2 strikes! ;)

John

clemon79

« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2006, 09:48:28 PM »
[quote name=\'jrjgames\' post=\'124310\' date=\'Jul 16 2006, 06:31 PM\']
I have a ONE day old brand new Sony DVD recorder and I tried it on my laptop...2 strikes! ;)
[/quote]
Yep, prolly a faulty disc, then. Bet they tell you to exchange it at the retailer.

bwood

« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2006, 10:26:51 PM »
Instead of trying to mess with the company, I would take it back and get another one and try it. Most retailers will offer an exchange, they just don't do total returns for items like this (since they are so easy to copy, then return). They will, however, exchange for the same item most times.
I still haven't had a chance to use it in a group setting, but I've shown it to a few people. They seem to think it will be an okay game, but everyone I've shown it to are average "Joe Plinkos". I'm still a little skeptical about it. Also, I don't think I mentioned it before, but there are only 15 "episodes" in this game, meaning you can play it only 15 times.