Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: World Series of Pop Culture  (Read 3810 times)

Robert Hutchinson

World Series of Pop Culture
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2006, 08:11:00 PM »
Of course, the problem is worse for a game show fanatic (or maybe it's just me). I'm thinking mainly about watching reruns of a $100K Pyramid tournament, and having to turn away for a while as soon as the main game is won. When they don't fill a bunch of extra time before the commercial with the players and Clark standing around the Winner's Circle talking, you know that they needed that time for a $100K celebration.
Visit my CB radio at www.twitter.com/ertchin

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2006, 08:16:30 PM »
[quote name=\'Robert Hutchinson\' post=\'125554\' date=\'Jul 28 2006, 05:11 PM\']
When they don't fill a bunch of extra time before the commercial with the players and Clark standing around the Winner's Circle talking, you know that they needed that time for a $100K celebration.
[/quote]
Oh, not always. I've watched a _lot_ of Pyramid, and sometimes the front game took longer to play than others, and they came out of a break and got right to it and still lost.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Robert Hutchinson

« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2006, 09:59:57 PM »
I will attempt to save face by saying that the converse is still always true: when they DO fill a lot of time, there WON'T be a win.
Visit my CB radio at www.twitter.com/ertchin

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2006, 02:35:41 AM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'125543\' date=\'Jul 28 2006, 06:17 PM\']I mean, you guys have a point, too, but I'm saying that VH-1 probably didn't worry much about it simply because it's a function of episodic television.[/quote]
Your House analogy is weak because on a game show, you're not supposed to know which of multiple outcomes are going to occur until the last possible moment.  Unlike most game shows, on this game show you often know which team is going to win several minutes before you really ought to, all due to their need to fit an open-ended format into a set time slot.  That's different than merely knowing that somebody's going to win because the show's almost over.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.