Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Underrated/Overrated hosts.....  (Read 17473 times)

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Underrated/Overrated hosts.....
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2006, 09:27:15 AM »
[quote name=\'DrBear\' post=\'123431\' date=\'Jul 6 2006, 04:36 AM\']
(Granted, Bob "The World's Unfunniest Man" Saget isn't much competition.)
[/quote]
Spoken like a man who has never seen his (absolutely filthy) stand-up act. If you have, please accept my apologies, but it's been my experience that people pass judgment on Saget based on the body of his broadcast work, and you're really not being fair if that is the case.

/that's a hell of an act, what do you call it?
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

clemon79

« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2006, 09:29:17 AM »
[quote name=\'PYLW\' post=\'123432\' date=\'Jul 6 2006, 05:04 AM\']
3. Peter Tomarken. It seems as though he gets more underrated every year, and a lot of people don't like PYL, so they don't like him for some reason.
[/quote]
Note, please, that a lot of us don't hate PYL because of the show itself, or even Tomarken, but because of the incessant overbearing fanbois who think the show can do no wrong and flat refuse to even listen to or consider an argument to the contrary.

cmjb13

« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2006, 10:08:45 AM »
Overrated

Bert convy - Too often he would slow the game down (see Super Password)
J.D. roth - Comes across as too loud & pushy.
Dennis James - No idea how he did Price for so long.

Underrated

Mark Walberg - Hasn't been given a really good show to work with, but he's smooth with what he's given (Russian Roulette, On the Cover). I think he is/was the best of the Atlantic City TPIR hosts I've seen.

Jim peck- I thought his work on Joker's Wild was solid.

Chuck Henry - Probably not a popular choice, but having recently seen NYSI, I don't think he did that bad of a job. Although he was very dry, I thought he did well. Would have like to seen him host another game to compare.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2006, 10:09:18 AM by cmjb13 »
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

clemon79

« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2006, 10:16:18 AM »
[quote name=\'cmjb13\' post=\'123447\' date=\'Jul 6 2006, 07:08 AM\']
J.D. roth - Comes across as too loud & pushy.
[/quote]
For someone to be "overrated", they must first be "rated". Is there ANYONE who puts Roth in the upper echelon of the hosting scale?

PYLW

« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2006, 10:25:04 AM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'123444\' date=\'Jul 6 2006, 09:29 AM\']
3. Peter Tomarken. It seems as though he gets more underrated every year, and a lot of people don't like PYL, so they don't like him for some reason.
[/quote]
Note, please, that a lot of us don't hate PYL because of the show itself, or even Tomarken, but because of the incessant overbearing fanbois who think the show can do no wrong and flat refuse to even listen to or consider an argument to the contrary.
[/quote]

Yeah I know (Some of you guys are intelligent compared to basically, almost everyone on gsn.com...), it's just that some people (I *ahem*, won't say names.) tend to bash it...

Who else had a bet that someone with "PYL" or "Whammy" in their name would say this?

Who else had a bet that Mark would say this when it would happen?

FOXSportsFan

« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2006, 12:15:24 PM »
*Looks down at my ticket*  I had all of those things mentioned as part of my trifecta.  Do I win the Malcom jackpot?

dzinkin

« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2006, 12:31:04 PM »
[quote name=\'PYLW\' post=\'123450\' date=\'Jul 6 2006, 10:25 AM\']
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'123444\' date=\'Jul 6 2006, 09:29 AM\']
[/quote]
[/quote]
Yeah I know (Some of you guys are intelligent compared to basically, almost everyone on gsn.com...), it's just that some people (I *ahem*, won't say names.) tend to bash it...
[/quote]
Yes, some people tend to bash it, but the bashing is not as widespread or as simple to explain as you made it sound.

I've been as disgusted as anyone else by the fact that people have been bashed merely for mentioning the words "Press Your Luck" or Peter Tomarken's name in any context.  However, the fact that some people seem to believe that such mentions should be a capital crime doesn't mean that the aforementioned incessant overbearing fanbois -- the people for whom I coined the term "Tomarkenite" in the first place -- don't exist and don't contribute to the PYL-bashing that has occurred.

tyshaun1

« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2006, 01:01:39 PM »
As is probably well known around here, I'm a big PYL and Tomarken fan, yet I understand completely where David (and Chris C. in some regards) is coming from, where some folks believe that the game show world begins and ends with PYL. At the same time tho, it's become very easy to think that every PYL fan is automatically a fanboi.

Tyshaun

dzinkin

« Reply #23 on: July 06, 2006, 01:41:58 PM »
[quote name=\'tyshaun1\' post=\'123464\' date=\'Jul 6 2006, 01:01 PM\']
As is probably well known around here, I'm a big PYL and Tomarken fan, yet I understand completely where David (and Chris C. in some regards) is coming from, where some folks believe that the game show world begins and ends with PYL.
[/quote]
Actually, I can think of several folks who have expressed the belief that the whole world, period -- not just the game show world -- begins and ends with PYL.  Thankfully, they're a minority.

At the same time tho, it's become very easy to think that every PYL fan is automatically a fanboi.
And that wasn't my intent when I came up with the term "Tomarkenite."  It was never meant to refer to everyone who likes the show, or even everyone who considers it his or her favorite show.  Unfortunately, the fanbois are loud and persistent enough that they often drown out everyone else.

PYLW

« Reply #24 on: July 06, 2006, 02:03:26 PM »
But is Jim Jackson ever any GOOD? I mean, besides like his first two years in the league (He's not even a good shooter...). Comparing Jim Jackson to Bill Cullen is really off...

clemon79

« Reply #25 on: July 06, 2006, 02:21:19 PM »
[quote name=\'mcfly95\' post=\'123466\' date=\'Jul 6 2006, 10:45 AM\']
4. Bil Dwyer: As much as I hate the "all gay" panel of IGAS, this guy has always been a pretty solid host, a good combo of a comedian's act and personable charm.
[/quote]
Ya know, considering that outside of Billy Bean, I hadn't heard of a single member of the IGAS panel (and Billy I only knew as a benchwarmer-for-a-year with the Dodgers; I have one of his cards), I gotta say that gay, straight, or whatever, they're a really good panel, and they seem to meld together pretty well. So I'd be curious to know why you dislike them.

MikeK

• Martha!
« Reply #26 on: July 06, 2006, 02:27:04 PM »
Underrated
1.  Bert Newton.  He runs Bert's Family Feud very well and he injects subtle humor when necessary.  He lets the contestants be the star of the show, unlike other people who have hosted the show.
2.  Todd Newton.  Bag on him all you want.  When I saw him in Pittsburgh at the Hollywood Showdown contestant search, he was a pro.  He knew what to say and when to say it, plus the ladies love(d?) him.
3.  John O'Hurley.  He was one of the few positives during To Tell the Truth's run six years ago.  He adds class to a show instantly, plus like Bert Newton, he delivers one-liners when appropriate.
Honorable mention to Bil Dwyer

Overrated
1.  Ray Combs.  He paled in comparison to Dawson.  The wearing women's shoes gag got real old real fast.
2.  Jack Barry.  I never liked Barry that much growing up.  When he breaks down every possible scenario, it ruins the continuity of the game plus it wastes time.  Then again, they were his programs...
3.  Jim Lange.  I've always seen him as an average host at best, almost like he did well enough to justify a paycheck.
Honorable mention to Peter Tomarken

PYLW

« Reply #27 on: July 06, 2006, 02:27:50 PM »
I have to agree with Chris, I think the panel works really well together. Two of them are loud (Frank and Jermaine), and the other two are more quiet and ask more questions (Suzanne and Billy Bean...who was indeed a benchwarmer, but wasn't too bad. Decent hitter.). I think it just gels very well together.

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #28 on: July 06, 2006, 02:48:39 PM »
My turn...

UNDERRATED

1. Tomarken. Your feelings about PYL aside, IMO it's hard argue with Tomarken's hosting ability on his shows. It's too bad that outside of one show, his shows either sucked (Bargain Hunters) or didn't have a chance to build an audience when they first aired (Hit Man, Wipeout).

2. Rafferty. I'm just gonna say I'm glad I got GSN when I did. Over the last few months seeing him on Card Sharks, I can see what all the fuss has been about him.

3. Perry. Damn fine host.

OVERRATED

1. Ray Combs. I don't knock his Feud, but the more I see of Dawson's the more I think that his was better, no matter how big his ego got.

2. Jim Lange. Good for the Dating Game, bad for most else.

3. Pat Sajak. Gotten worse as the years have gone along.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

whewfan

« Reply #29 on: July 06, 2006, 06:35:21 PM »
I'll throw on my list...

UNDERRATED

Pat Finn- He came across as stiff on TJW, but he proved himself much looser on STYD. He tried to maintain some degree of class that Dee Baker seemed to drain out whenever he came out in drag.

Rolf Benirschke- You'd have to see his later WOF shows to see that as the run progressed, he got better and looser... even TV Guide praised him as a good host.

OVERRATED
Pat Sajak- Just have to say that I agree, but it's also not entirely his fault. Wheel is so chock full of sponsor plugs that Pat has much less time to inject his dry wit.