Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Playmania  (Read 26910 times)

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
Playmania
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2006, 12:10:52 AM »
I wonder how she is on her show in the UK?

With a bit of searching you can link to clips of her hosting the various incarnations of it in the UK, and it doesn't feel a bit different. She's giving the same performance here that she is there.

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

Matt Ottinger

Playmania
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2006, 01:43:59 PM »
[quote name=\'melman1\' post=\'123492\' date=\'Jul 6 2006, 08:51 PM\']
The few minutes that I watched were without a doubt worse than anything I've seen on public access.  "Bizarre" is too polite a description.  The snippets they show over and over (and over...) as promos may well be highlights.

I can't imagine advertisers buying time on this.  Can anyone that the advertisers care about really be watching?
[/quote]
They're making money off the phone calls, they're making money off the advertising, and at least on the early shows, they had sponsors within the program as well.  Plus it's staggeringly cheap to produce.  I don't make a point to tune in, and I doubt many people do, especially for the whole three-hour block.  But if I'm flipping around, and they're in the middle of a game, I'll usually stop to see how it goes.

I'd rather see them do something at least a little ambitious than see the umpteenth rerun of a game, or worse yet, infomercials.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
Playmania
« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2006, 02:04:07 PM »
Entirely nitpicky, but it's a 2 hour program. And the few times I sat through an entire broadcast, it was because we made the show a competitive exercise between those of us who were awake.

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

melman1

Playmania
« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2006, 11:43:21 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'123549\' date=\'Jul 7 2006, 10:43 AM\']
They're making money off the phone calls, they're making money off the advertising
[/quote]
Not on the West Coast feed, they're not.  It's tape-delayed.  Which was part of my original point.  I couldn't call in even if I wanted to.
melman1, "some sort of God on this message board" - PYLdude, 7/9/06.

Matt Ottinger

Playmania
« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2006, 02:05:25 AM »
[quote name=\'melman1\' post=\'123599\' date=\'Jul 7 2006, 11:43 PM\']
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'123549\' date=\'Jul 7 2006, 10:43 AM\']
They're making money off the phone calls, they're making money off the advertising
[/quote]
Not on the West Coast feed, they're not.  It's tape-delayed.  Which was part of my original point.  I couldn't call in even if I wanted to.
[/quote]
I'll admit that's a head-scratcher, since there's really nothing to the show without the live interactive element, but it doesn't negate my points either.  They make money on a cheap original show.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

davemackey

Playmania
« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2006, 12:49:54 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'123606\' date=\'Jul 8 2006, 02:05 AM\']
I'll admit that's a head-scratcher, since there's really nothing to the show without the live interactive element, but it doesn't negate my points either.  They make money on a cheap original show.
[/quote]
I don't know why, but I tape it and watch it later. Maybe so I'll be less tempted to call in. Or maybe I think better at 1 in the afternoon than I do at 1 in the morning.

Or so I'll be prepared to answer the inevitable questions about how hot Shandi looked last night.

melman1

Playmania
« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2006, 09:00:21 PM »
[quote name=\'davemackey\' post=\'123621\' date=\'Jul 8 2006, 09:49 AM\']
I don't know why, but I tape it and watch it later.
[/quote]
And that brings me to my original point again.  WHY would you do that?  This is the most amateurish piece of crap I have even seen on television.  The production quality is bad beyond belief.

Does it have camp value?  I simply don't understand.

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
Playmania
« Reply #22 on: July 08, 2006, 09:13:51 PM »
[quote name=\'melman1\' post=\'123645\' date=\'Jul 8 2006, 09:00 PM\']
 This is the most amateurish piece of crap I have even seen on television.  The production quality is bad beyond belief.

Does it have camp value?  I simply don't understand.
[/quote]

1) cheap to produce
2) gives away cash prizes
3) people want to win cash prizes
4) show makes money off text messages

Those points have been raised numerous times.

Just because a show has bad production values doesn't always mean that it needs to be yanked off the air.

GSN's agenda here is to make a lot of money off a show that costs almost nothing to make, and they're doing that, regardless of whether you, I, or anyone else like the show or not.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

melman1

Playmania
« Reply #23 on: July 08, 2006, 11:47:52 PM »
[quote name=\'PYLdude\' post=\'123646\' date=\'Jul 8 2006, 06:13 PM\']
GSN's agenda here
[/quote]
I did not ask about GSN's agenda.  I asked why anyone would watch this piece of crap if it were not possible for them to be playing the game.  Either because they taped it, or because they get the Western feed tape-delayed.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Playmania
« Reply #24 on: July 08, 2006, 11:53:27 PM »
[quote name=\'melman1\' post=\'123651\' date=\'Jul 8 2006, 08:47 PM\']
I asked why anyone would watch this piece of crap if it were not possible for them to be playing the game.  Either because they taped it, or because they get the Western feed tape-delayed.
[/quote]
Your anger towards a relatively innocuous television show is quite striking.

Really, believe it or not, sometimes there is Nothing Else On. And at those times, an HPOA (even WITH a horseface) beats watching an episode of Iron Chef I've already seen six times.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Jimmy Owen

Playmania
« Reply #25 on: July 09, 2006, 08:31:28 AM »
What is the motivation for anyone to watch any game show?  To see other people win or to play along at home with no chance to win yourself.  "Playmania" gives the opportunity for both.  

People in the west could call in without being able to see the show, the host would explain the question when she talks to you on the phone anyway, then you could savor the moment three hours later when it airs.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

aaron sica

Playmania
« Reply #26 on: July 09, 2006, 09:10:37 AM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' post=\'123658\' date=\'Jul 9 2006, 08:31 AM\']
People in the west could call in without being able to see the show, the host would explain the question when she talks to you on the phone anyway, then you could savor the moment three hours later when it airs.
[/quote]

Actually, Jimmy, it's not even THAT easy. Once you register, whether it be off your cell phone or on the website, it's good for only THAT SPECIFIC GAME. So once that game's over, you need to register again. So yeah, you could blindly enter, but it would be a crapshoot. :)

Jimmy Owen

Playmania
« Reply #27 on: July 09, 2006, 11:11:49 AM »
Ahh..I stand corrected, see, I've never been interested in being a contestant on a game show.  My interest lies in hosting or creating a show.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
Playmania
« Reply #28 on: July 09, 2006, 02:34:08 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'123652\' date=\'Jul 8 2006, 11:53 PM\']
Your anger towards a relatively innocuous television show is quite striking.

Really, believe it or not, sometimes there is Nothing Else On. And at those times, an HPOA (even WITH a horseface) beats watching an episode of Iron Chef I've already seen six times.
[/quote]

With this discussion, and some of his past, I've become convinced that melman believes that he's some sort of God on this message board. Just because he doesn't like it, he feels that one of two things must be true:

1) either it must be taken off the air immediately and no mention of it should ever be made again
2) none of us should like it either.

I won't feed the melman anymore, that's for sure.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

Brandon Brooks

Playmania
« Reply #29 on: July 09, 2006, 04:55:24 PM »
[quote name=\'melman1\' post=\'123651\' date=\'Jul 8 2006, 10:47 PM\']
I asked why anyone would watch this piece of crap if it were not possible for them to be playing the game.  Either because they taped it, or because they get the Western feed tape-delayed.
[/quote]
I don't think anything that has been explained so far satisfies you, so how about this answer: People watch because they want to.  

I think The Jerry Springer show is crap too, but evidently some people like it.  Move on.

Brandon Brooks