Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Playmania  (Read 27223 times)

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
Playmania
« Reply #120 on: August 27, 2006, 07:56:16 AM »
[quote name=\'The Ol' Guy\' post=\'129281\' date=\'Aug 27 2006, 01:52 AM\']
You can sharpen up those puzzle solving skills if you catch a copy of the MB board game Whatzit? in a second-hand store. It may have been re-issued by another outfit.
[/quote]RoseArt reissued the game in 2001, with full color puzzles and other sorts of Whatzit? categories, besides just using words.

(Isn't this fairly close to what "Catch Phrase" used as their mainstay, with the exception that a Catch Phrase was not necessarily words only?)
Travis L. Eberle

chad1m

Playmania
« Reply #121 on: August 27, 2006, 01:35:40 PM »
[quote name=\'goongas\' post=\'129271\' date=\'Aug 27 2006, 12:58 AM\']
StarFace is a top 5 TV show beginning with 'S' according to PlayMania.  They took up most of the first hour with this one top 5 game...Who would answer StarFace?  Playmania must be adjusting the results in order to advertise the new show, shameless IMO.
[/quote]

You also have to remember that these surveys can also be taken online, so if you're having trouble thinking of an answer online and you see a big banner ad featuring Starface, what are you going to put down?

Chelsea Thrasher

Playmania
« Reply #122 on: August 27, 2006, 01:49:05 PM »
[quote name=\'chad1m\' post=\'129307\' date=\'Aug 27 2006, 12:35 PM\']
 what are you going to put down?
[/quote]

Erm....Studs?

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Playmania
« Reply #123 on: August 27, 2006, 01:50:29 PM »
[quote name=\'chad1m\' post=\'129307\' date=\'Aug 27 2006, 10:35 AM\']
You also have to remember that these surveys can also be taken online, so if you're having trouble thinking of an answer online and you see a big banner ad featuring Starface, what are you going to put down?
[/quote]
Good point, but all it proves is that the people taking the survey were utter morons. (Wait. GSN boards. Never mind.) No writer with any sense of conscience would have greenlighted that to be PRESENTED to see air.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
Playmania
« Reply #124 on: August 27, 2006, 02:35:57 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'129310\' date=\'Aug 27 2006, 12:50 PM\']
[quote name=\'chad1m\' post=\'129307\' date=\'Aug 27 2006, 10:35 AM\']
[/quote]
Good point, but all it proves is that the people taking the survey were utter morons. (Wait. GSN boards. Never mind.) No writer with any sense of conscience would have greenlighted that to be PRESENTED to see air.
[/quote]
I was curious to the survey aspect online.  Here were the 5 questions I got:
"Favorite Movie that Drags On and On" (I don't have any favorites that drag on and on)
"Favorite Song with Clothing in the Title (i.e. Blue Suede Shoes)"
"Favorite Song with Colors in the Title"
"Favorite Movie Beginning with "L"(Couldn't think of one.  The survey accepted a blank as an answer)
"Favorite Movie Beginning with "M"

(they actually use crap like this on air?)

You then got to submit your own survey.

Ugh.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2006, 02:36:42 PM by Modor »
--Mark
Phil 4:13

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
Playmania
« Reply #125 on: August 27, 2006, 04:07:11 PM »
Of course they use that crap, because not only will they make huge revenues with stall tactics, but the scant few callers that do get through will likely be wrong. Yippee!

Not that the caliber of player is exactly the best. "Top 5 Movie Sequels" was the subject a few weeks ago, and one of the first guesses was "Lethal Weapon." No particular number or anything, just "Lethal Weapon." Also guessed was the brilliant cinema classic, "Rush Hour 2." Keep in mind, these weren't desperation "throwing anything at the wall" tries - Weapon was first out of the gate, and Rush Hour came a few guesses later.

But anyway, the thing I find funniest about their surveys (in a it's-so-bad-it's-funny sarcastic sort of way), is the site will often put an example up for you. Like "Songs with a Color in the Title (ex: White Christmas)." Personally, I picked one other than White Christmas just to spite the survey's title. I wonder just how many people answer with the example in those cases? Knowing their boards, it's gotta be a high percentage.

-Jason
« Last Edit: August 27, 2006, 04:07:31 PM by JasonA1 »
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

ChrisLambert!

• Overthrow, Sister Havana
Playmania
« Reply #126 on: August 27, 2006, 04:13:24 PM »
They could easily just stop using the word "top", have viewers try to guess whichever five they have on the list, and voila, it's Pass the Buck '06!
@lambertman

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
Playmania
« Reply #127 on: August 27, 2006, 04:24:38 PM »
I bet there'd be no lack of call volume. Considering the whacked possibilities that turn up on the surveys, this may even give us more sensical answers.

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

Matt Ottinger

Playmania
« Reply #128 on: August 27, 2006, 04:28:03 PM »
[quote name=\'ChrisLambert!\' post=\'129350\' date=\'Aug 27 2006, 04:13 PM\']
They could easily just stop using the word "top", have viewers try to guess whichever five they have on the list, and voila, it's Pass the Buck '06![/quote]
That is essentially the idea behind another one of their games, where the first two letters are missing from a five-letter word.  Many answers are possible, and callers guess until they come up with the one preselected answer.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

The Great EZE

Playmania
« Reply #129 on: August 27, 2006, 09:40:56 PM »
[quote name=\'ChrisLambert!\' post=\'129350\' date=\'Aug 27 2006, 03:13 PM\']
They could easily just stop using the word "top", have viewers try to guess whichever five they have on the list, and voila, it's Pass the Buck '06!
[/quote]

Seeing the words "Playmania" and "Pass the Buck" in such close proximity makes me feel uncomfortable...

Joe Mello

• has hit the time release button
Playmania
« Reply #130 on: August 28, 2006, 12:01:18 AM »
In my opinion, of the five surveys Mark posted, the only one that looked moderately interesting was "movies that dragged on and on"

A lot of PlayMania's surveys looked like they escaped Family Feud's Writers Office.  Guess it can't be helped......somewhat.

Even though I have had limited viewing, I'd have to say the most interesting surveys were Mel and Shandi's Top 5 Sexiest Men just because they were personal lists and not generic idiot savants.

/Expects a retort to that last line.
This signature is currently under construction.

davemackey

Playmania
« Reply #131 on: September 11, 2006, 04:26:35 PM »
Anyone else notice REAL ADVERTISING now appearing on PlayMania, not just GSN promos? I guess they've started selling it now... try to get those ad dollars away from TBS and their Midnight Money Madness...

Scott

Playmania
« Reply #132 on: September 11, 2006, 04:36:51 PM »
Also, Playmania is now on Sundays apparently.`

chad1m

Playmania
« Reply #133 on: September 11, 2006, 04:44:44 PM »
They've been on Sundays for about two or three weeks, now. Rumors are that they may expand to the whole week, minus a day.

Robair

Playmania
« Reply #134 on: September 26, 2006, 02:41:28 PM »
And that will indeed happen, Tuesday through Sunday, starting October 3.
--Robair