Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: High Stakes Poker odd moment...  (Read 1861 times)

curtking

High Stakes Poker odd moment...
« on: September 23, 2006, 05:59:59 PM »
So I'm watching High Stakes Poker (9/18 episode).  During one of the hands, someone uses the word "sequential."  Benza and Kaplan begin to joke about the word, saying that it's a word Howard Cosell would have used.

Then Benza says in a Cosell voice, "Look..at...that...little...sequential...run!"

For those of you not old enough to remember Cosell's infamous line, here's the Wikipedia account.

Was anyone else surprised that this wasn't edited out?

Kevin Prather

« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2006, 06:59:45 PM »
Not really. The line that Cosell used, while offensive, was notorious. Benza's parody wasn't offensive in and of itself.

Esoteric Eric

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2006, 08:21:25 PM »
Heck, ESPN's Chris Berman used to do a parody of Cosell's line while showing clips of football player Dave Meggett making big yardage: "Look..at...that...little...Meggett...run!"

Esoteric Eric, fan of the now-late NFL Primetime, though not really big on the games themselves; on February 4th, I'll be at my usual Sunday night bowling league, even if the Super Bowl(tm) features the hometown Seahawks and / or the old-hometown Patriots
Eric Smallman; "...I don't think God ever forgave me for Phyllis Newman..." - "Jimmy Carter" (Dan Aykroyd), SNL, 1976

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2006, 12:29:06 AM »
[quote name=\'curtking\' post=\'132490\' date=\'Sep 23 2006, 02:59 PM\']
So I'm watching High Stakes Poker (9/18 episode).  During one of the hands, someone uses the word "sequential."  Benza and Kaplan begin to joke about the word, saying that it's a word Howard Cosell would have used.

Then Benza says in a Cosell voice, "Look..at...that...little...sequential...run!"

For those of you not old enough to remember Cosell's infamous line, here's the Wikipedia account.

Was anyone else surprised that this wasn't edited out?
[/quote]I will admit up front that I was not aware of the incident to which that comment referred. What does it say about me that "monkey" was not even on the LIST of words I had mentally swapped in for "sequential"?
Travis L. Eberle

Kevin Prather

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2006, 01:38:40 PM »
[quote name=\'TLEberle\' post=\'132511\' date=\'Sep 23 2006, 09:29 PM\']
I will admit up front that I was not aware of the incident to which that comment referred. What does it say about me that "monkey" was not even on the LIST of words I had mentally swapped in for "sequential"?
[/quote]
That you are not Howard Cosell. :)