Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: GSN 50 greatest game shows special...  (Read 154696 times)

game show guy

GSN 50 greatest game shows special...
« Reply #1125 on: May 19, 2007, 01:46:55 PM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' post=\'152840\' date=\'May 19 2007, 01:16 PM\']
[quote name=\'game show guy\' post=\'152829\' date=\'May 19 2007, 10:12 AM\']
44. Truth Or Consequences- 8/10- I would have much rather seen this show in full then in just clips. Still good they said Bob Barkers edition was the best
[/quote]
Well, considering a) the other two versions lasted one season each, and b) haven't aired in almost 20 years, I wouldn't expect them to say that the other two versions were superior. I'm sure your average viewer is not even aware of the other two revivals.
[/quote]

Well, last week when Bil was talking about he said "Out of all the versions, we like Bob's the best". That is what he said. GSN can say that they like Bob's the best, whats wrong with that??

game show guy

« Reply #1126 on: May 19, 2007, 02:00:57 PM »
Well, just a heads up for whats to come tonight on the 50 greatest game shows of all time.

We will see the following-

#37- Greed
#36- Remote Control
#35- Beat The Clock
#34- Sale Of The Century
#33- Dog Eat Dog

Well, I will be watching tonight since I don't get a chance to record or watch Greed when it is on. I will skip over Dog Eat Dog, still don't know why they put it on the list.

While the dog eat dog CRAP is on, I will be recording the Greed episode on my DVD so that I have it for life!! Thanks GSN for airing it in a good slot. I finally will be able to record an episode to keep. YES!  Then I will wait until, 11PM to record the 1972 ep. of Secret and the Tattletales ep.

That is my night tonight. I will enjoy every moment. I LOVE GAME SHOW NETWORK!!!

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #1127 on: May 19, 2007, 02:05:33 PM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' post=\'152845\' date=\'May 19 2007, 10:40 AM\']
Bob Hilton hosted a version c. 1977. Jamie has a clip of it on his site.
[/quote]
Yeah, upon further review, I've seen that clip, so I should have remembered. Thanks for the boost. :)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

dzinkin

« Reply #1128 on: May 19, 2007, 04:45:56 PM »
[quote name=\'game show guy\' post=\'152846\' date=\'May 19 2007, 01:46 PM\']
Well, last week when Bil was talking about he said "Out of all the versions, we like Bob's the best". That is what he said. GSN can say that they like Bob's the best, whats wrong with that??
[/quote]
Nothing is wrong with GSN saying that Barker's version is the best.  Brandon was just saying that it doesn't mean as much as you think it does -- GSN's going to focus on Barker because his version is the one GSN's viewers are most likely to remember.

game show guy

« Reply #1129 on: May 19, 2007, 09:49:22 PM »
Here I go again folks. A sad night!!

#37- Greed- 4/10- A million dollar win was good to see. However, GSN has rerunned this show into the ground WAY too much. Give it a break for once.

#36- Remote Control- 6/10- This looked interesting, I wish they would have played this instead of greed.

#35- Beat The Clock- 7/10- This is another show that just DOES NOT deserve to get a clip fest. We should have seen something of this. A color episode would have been fine, It did not have to be a Black and White one.

#34- Sale Of The Century- 8/10- Yet another show that just does not deserve the clip treatment. Bil talked about all the hosts and I thought they were going to show one. Well, I was wrong.

#33- Dog Eat Dog- A BIG FAT 0/10- WHY does GSN think this show is SO GREAT. It stopped making episode a LONG TIME AGO. I don't know what to say, I mean DED better then Treasure Hunt??? Come on!!!

Overall- 25/50- What a sad night on 50 Greatest Game Shows

Well, next week should be great with Tic Tac Dough, Card Sharks, Password Plus, and Win Ben Steins Money.

Mike Tennant

« Reply #1130 on: May 19, 2007, 09:54:14 PM »
Believe it or not, there were other versions of TorC besides the Hilton and Anderson versions, too.

(Knows this but checks EoTVGS for specifics . . .)

Ralph Edwards himself, crossing over from the long-running radio version, made the first attempt at the show on TV in 1950-1951.  Jack Bailey was next from 1954 to 1956.  Then, while Barker was hosting the daytime version starting in 1956, Steve Dunne hosted a primetime version in 1957-1948.  Barker's daytime version ended in 1965, only to resume in syndication the next year and run until 1975.  Bob Hilton tried to follow the WGMC far too soon in 1977-1978, and Larry Anderson's version was in the 1987-1988 season.

Give Edwards credit for subordinating his own ego--he was, after all, the star of the show on radio for 17 years--for the good of the TV version.  Sure, it meant money in his pocket, but it took some humility to relinquish the reins to other people, one of whom would become far more associated with the show than its originator.

My suspicion is that changing tastes have, unfortunately, pretty much relegated TorC to the mists of memory, unless it comes back with "edgy" stunts.

clemon79

« Reply #1131 on: May 19, 2007, 10:00:39 PM »
[quote name=\'game show guy\' post=\'152894\' date=\'May 19 2007, 06:49 PM\']
Here I go again folks. A sad night!!
[/quote]
Truer words.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #1132 on: May 19, 2007, 11:14:51 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'152839\' date=\'May 19 2007, 10:09 AM\'][quote name=\'game show guy\' post=\'152829\' date=\'May 19 2007, 07:12 AM\']41. The 1.98 Beauty Show- 7/10- I actually enjoy this show. Rip Taylor is funny is his own right. The people looked butt UGLY to be honest. They should have had nicer people. [/quote]Way to completely miss the point.[/quote]Granted, this came from Chuck Barris, so it's not hard to make that leap yourself, but did Johnny Jacobs actually come out and say "This is a parody, not an actual competition," and the standard boilerplate, or was that exercise left to the viewer?

/This particular viewer watched one episode and had enough.
Travis L. Eberle

clemon79

« Reply #1133 on: May 19, 2007, 11:59:11 PM »
[quote name=\'TLEberle\' post=\'152898\' date=\'May 19 2007, 08:14 PM\']
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'152839\' date=\'May 19 2007, 10:09 AM\'][quote name=\'game show guy\' post=\'152829\' date=\'May 19 2007, 07:12 AM\']41. The 1.98 Beauty Show- 7/10- I actually enjoy this show. Rip Taylor is funny is his own right. The people looked butt UGLY to be honest. They should have had nicer people. [/quote]Way to completely miss the point.[/quote]Granted, this came from Chuck Barris, so it's not hard to make that leap yourself, but did Johnny Jacobs actually come out and say "This is a parody, not an actual competition," and the standard boilerplate?
[/quote]
Yes. Not those words, of course, but yes. Enough so that anyone with half of a clue should have picked up on it.

PYLW

« Reply #1134 on: May 20, 2007, 12:32:03 AM »
I believe he said "The $1.98 Beauty Show intends to spoof all of those other real beauty contests", or something like that.

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
« Reply #1135 on: May 20, 2007, 12:56:29 AM »
Part of Johnny Jacobs' spiel (or pretty darn close):

Tonight, The $1.98 Beauty Show will continue its relentless spoof of all those other so-called 'beauty contests', and although this is not a real contest, we will bring you our version of the all-American beauty, that one-of-a-kind girl who not only has personality and poise, but beauty and talent as well!

Can't take credit for having that memorized--I got it somewhere on the web.  If it's off, it's not by much.
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

uncamark

« Reply #1136 on: May 21, 2007, 04:58:25 PM »
[quote name=\'SRIV94\' post=\'152907\' date=\'May 19 2007, 11:56 PM\']
Part of Johnny Jacobs' spiel (or pretty darn close):

Tonight, The $1.98 Beauty Show will continue its relentless spoof of all those other so-called 'beauty contests', and although this is not a real contest, we will bring you our version of the all-American beauty, that one-of-a-kind girl who not only has personality and poise, but beauty and talent as well!

Can't take credit for having that memorized--I got it somewhere on the web.  If it's off, it's not by much.
[/quote]

And the credits had a "This is not an actual competition--the winner was chosen by the producers before the program" disclaimer.

As for "T or C," the story that Edwards gave on why he left the show was (this was either right before "This is Your Life" moved to TV from radio or right after) "I couldn't be the angel on Friday night and the devil on Tuesday night."  In other words, he decided that he'd rather be the cordial toastmaster of "Life" than the merry prankster of "T or C."  Considering that old-style network radio was dying out and "T or C" had already bombed on television, he had more than personal reasons to shut down "T or C."  Considering that "Life" went on to be highly successful on television and "T or C" needed a new host and a downgrade to daytime before it was successful on TV, I think he made the right choice.

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
« Reply #1137 on: August 21, 2008, 12:23:40 PM »
Sorry for the bump up, but I was just reading this thread for shiggles (looking up the origin of "friggin' STUDS").  And as I'm rummaging through I see this question:

[quote name=\'PYLdude\' post=\'127587\' date=\'Aug 15 2006, 11:45 PM\']
Could any form of Password be a hit today?
[/quote]

Nice to know we've seen the answer, and that the answer so far is affirmative.

/Now back to rummaging.
//Wow.  3400 posts.
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)