Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: GSN 50 greatest game shows special...  (Read 154712 times)

Steve Gavazzi

GSN 50 greatest game shows special...
« Reply #1110 on: May 06, 2007, 04:31:02 PM »
[quote name=\'xavier45\' post=\'151609\' date=\'May 6 2007, 04:06 PM\']
You know What? I have had enough. GSGuy comes here trying to give an innocent Recap of what he thought about the Countdown and you guys once again act like Jerks. Everyone of you involved in this. Even you moderators are involved in this. Why? Just because a guy gives an 11 out of 10 that gives you guys a right to flame him. This may be my last post here, but you know what? I don't give a damn. GsGuy is one of my friends and I can not just sit here and allow you idiots to do this to him. I have lost alot of respect for each and everyone of you guys involved.

I am pretty sure this is it for me, but as I said I don't care. The way you treat a of friend of mines and heck the way you treat Mark Odor makes me sick. GSN boards are 100% percent better than this place. GSGuy buddy don't post here anymore. They don't care about your opinion, they only care about themselves.

Now go ahead David, Ban Me.
[/quote]

Great post.  I give it an 11 out of 10.

tpirfan28

« Reply #1111 on: May 06, 2007, 04:35:53 PM »
[quote name=\'xavier45\' post=\'151609\' date=\'May 6 2007, 04:06 PM\']
I am pretty sure this is it for me, but as I said I don't care. The way you treat a of friend of mines and heck the way you treat Mark Odor makes me sick. GSN boards are 100% percent better than this place. GSGuy buddy don't post here anymore. They don't care about your opinion, they only care about themselves.
[/quote]What Mark did was in direct violation of Eligibility Requirement #5, stated as follows:

5. Distasteful Posts

Posts deemed to be offensive, in generally bad taste or inflammatory in nature, will subject the author to disciplinary action. Posting messages which are harrassing, insulting, belittling or derisive to other board member(s), or which incite personal attacks against other board member(s), will be considered grounds for disciplinary action. A pattern of excessive and gratuitous use of foul language shall constitute grounds for disciplinary action.

You also agreed to this when you signed up.  Mark basically was trying to pick fights and was about to incite personal attacks on other members.  If it makes you "sick" over what happened, that's your problem, and not the fault of the Moderators.
When you're at the grocery game and you hear the beep, think of all the fun you could have at "Crazy Rachel's Checkout Counter!"

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
« Reply #1112 on: May 06, 2007, 05:04:56 PM »
[quote name=\'tpirfan28\' post=\'151615\' date=\'May 6 2007, 03:35 PM\']
You also agreed to this when you signed up.  [/quote]

I'm not sure I would call it "agreeing" to it.  I read it as more like, "this may be the rule, but who cares, i'm gonna do what i want cuz that's how it is where i come from."

And there are more than a few posters from that arena who cop the same attitude when they post here.  Not everyone.
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

BrandonFG

« Reply #1113 on: May 06, 2007, 05:07:32 PM »
I think some of you need to seriously get the hell over yourselves, and hint, I'm not talking to the "idiots" in question. I know Xavier's in isolation, but it appears he's willing to dish, but can never take. It's okay for him to sling mud, but when someone offers the slightest criticism, they're every name in the book.

When you make a comment stating opinion, maybe you need to open your mind and expect someone to, oh, I don't know, DISAGREE with you. Of course, this is the Internet, so if you disagree, you're either a h8r l33t, or an idiot. You flame someone for being so closed-minded, what the hell do you think you're doing by immediately putting down their opinion.

If you're going to do nothing but bitch about how this board is run, and call names, maybe you don't need to be here. Or maybe you just need your diaper changed.

And before it begins, can comparing this place to ATGS be worthy of Isolation Booth time? That's slander. :-)
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

tpirfan28

« Reply #1114 on: May 06, 2007, 08:12:39 PM »
To put this back on topic...

I'd probably rank Treasure Hunt high because it is the far superior older sister of DoND.  Moves fast, good amount of cheeseiness...good show all around.
When you're at the grocery game and you hear the beep, think of all the fun you could have at "Crazy Rachel's Checkout Counter!"

BrandonFG

« Reply #1115 on: May 06, 2007, 09:36:53 PM »
[quote name=\'tpirfan28\' post=\'151629\' date=\'May 6 2007, 08:12 PM\']
I'd probably rank Treasure Hunt high because it is the far superior older sister of DoND.  Moves fast, good amount of cheeseiness...good show all around.
[/quote]
I've made that comparison as well, and I agree. Treasure Hunt benefited from having Barris as producer. As evidenced by "The Gong Show", Barris, plain and simple, got it. He knew how to make the show cheesy, yet knew when to add the drama. He went for the female demographic, and used your typical Harriet Housewife, not the over-the-top cartoon character that D/ND seeks.

There's a 1973 ep. on Jamie's site f. a $7,000 win. I know that's nothing compared to what D/ND offers (it's about $30,000 in 2006), but it was fun to watch, esp. after seeing the contestant think she won a $20 shopping cart. :-)
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
« Reply #1116 on: May 06, 2007, 10:03:13 PM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' post=\'151635\' date=\'May 6 2007, 08:36 PM\']
I've made that comparison as well, and I agree. Treasure Hunt benefited from having Barris as producer. As evidenced by "The Gong Show", Barris, plain and simple, got it. He knew how to make the show cheesy, yet knew when to add the drama. He went for the female demographic, and used your typical Harriet Housewife, not the over-the-top cartoon character that D/ND seeks.
[/quote]
Let's also not underestimate Geoff Edwards' performance as well.  Not that Howie Mandel isn't well-suited to the role of keeping the proceedings moving, but Edwards' memorization requirements took the cake.

TH is a show I wouldn't have minded seeing more of.
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

davemackey

« Reply #1117 on: May 06, 2007, 10:52:39 PM »
[quote name=\'Steve Gavazzi\' post=\'151607\' date=\'May 6 2007, 02:06 PM\']
[quote name=\'game show guy\' post=\'151595\' date=\'May 6 2007, 08:11 AM\']
Hey, whats wrong with giving 11 out of 10 to Treasure Hunt?? I REALLY liked this show. You must have missed my post where it says "this is in MY OPINION!!)
[/quote]

What's wrong with it is that there is no such thing as "11 out of 10."  Just saying that makes the entire concept of having a scale completely meaningless.
[/quote]
It's like saying "It's B, and I'm 20% sure of it."

Whoops, wrong thread.

game show guy

« Reply #1118 on: May 19, 2007, 10:12:54 AM »
I know this is late, but, this is from last weeks 50 Greatest Game Shows. Here we go!

45. Shop 'Til You Drop- 9/10- I LOVE this show. The stunts are great. However, Pat Finns laugh is annoying as hell. So thats why its bumped down a point.

44. Truth Or Consequences- 8/10- I would have much rather seen this show in full then in just clips. Still good they said Bob Barkers edition was the best

43. Tattletales- 10/10- This show really needs to come back to GSN's schedule. Its been off for WAY too long and I think it will do good if it came back. The episode was so funny with Scoey Mitchell with his jokes and he split his pants. ROTFLMAO!!. BTW, I know this episode was from 1974, however, could someone tell me if it was from the beginning of the run or was it later in the run when was this episode aired. Thank you GSN for airing this! I HOPE it got good ratings because I WANT IT BACK!!!!!!

42. Queen for a Day- 5/10- This show to be from the looks and Bil's description, seemed boring. Maybe I would have liked it if they showed a full episode.

41. The 1.98 Beauty Show- 7/10- I actually enjoy this show. Rip Taylor is funny is his own right. The people looked butt UGLY to be honest. They should have had nicer people. However, the show was still ok. Some things to note. First, Bil's script, was wrong. He said that The 1.98 Beauty Show lasted one year. Well, It actually lasted two years September 1978-September 1980. Ok show. Not the best.

40. Twenty-One- 8/10- This show is great. The 2000 version is cool. I wish we could have seen this with Jack Berry hosting it.

39. GE College Bowl- 6/10- From the looks of it, It seemed interesting to say the least. I wish they aired this instead of Whammy. Or Twenty-One for that matter.

38. Whammy- 6/10- I don't think they should have put this show on the list. Couldn't they have shown the biggest winner episode? 10,000+ is not bad, however, I think someone went higher. The only significance to this one is when the pizza dough falls on the womans head and Todd starts laughing LOL!! Still, I would have given it higher if it weren't for the mediocre episode. At least, its a first season episode which hasn't been seen in awhile, since i think they are airing season two episodes on the weekends at 12:00PM.

OVERALL- 59/100- One of the weaker nights indeed. Shop 'Til You Drop, 1.98 Beauty Show, and Tattletales were the ones I liked the best.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #1119 on: May 19, 2007, 01:09:39 PM »
[quote name=\'game show guy\' post=\'152829\' date=\'May 19 2007, 07:12 AM\']
41. The 1.98 Beauty Show- 7/10- I actually enjoy this show. Rip Taylor is funny is his own right. The people looked butt UGLY to be honest. They should have had nicer people.
[/quote]
Way to completely miss the point.

/of course, so did GSN
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

BrandonFG

« Reply #1120 on: May 19, 2007, 01:16:22 PM »
[quote name=\'game show guy\' post=\'152829\' date=\'May 19 2007, 10:12 AM\']
44. Truth Or Consequences- 8/10- I would have much rather seen this show in full then in just clips. Still good they said Bob Barkers edition was the best
[/quote]
Well, considering a) the other two versions lasted one season each, and b) haven't aired in almost 20 years, I wouldn't expect them to say that the other two versions were superior. I'm sure your average viewer is not even aware of the other two revivals.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #1121 on: May 19, 2007, 01:19:41 PM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' post=\'152840\' date=\'May 19 2007, 10:16 AM\']
I'm sure your average viewer is not even aware of the other two revivals.
[/quote]
I'm not your average viewer, and _I_ didn't even know about one of them. The only other one I know is the Larry Anderson version.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

dzinkin

« Reply #1122 on: May 19, 2007, 01:25:20 PM »
[quote name=\'game show guy\' post=\'152829\' date=\'May 19 2007, 10:12 AM\']
39. GE College Bowl- 6/10- From the looks of it, It seemed interesting to say the least. I wish they aired this instead of Whammy. Or Twenty-One for that matter.
[/quote]
Question: assuming that any rights issues could be worked out, and assuming that GSN were interested (and yeah, I know the answer to the latter is a definite "no"), do enough episodes even survive to make it possible?

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #1123 on: May 19, 2007, 01:39:28 PM »
[quote name=\'dzinkin\' post=\'152842\' date=\'May 19 2007, 01:25 PM\']
39. GE College Bowl

Question: assuming that any rights issues could be worked out, and assuming that GSN were interested (and yeah, I know the answer to the latter is a definite "no"), do enough episodes even survive to make it possible?
[/quote]
Unless NBC or the Reid family is sitting on the masters, probably not.  Isolated episodes are around for one reason or another, usually because individual schools made a point of keeping their team's performances.  Another problem, of course, would be that the quality of whatever survived (and in whatever format) would vary greatly.

Here's a remarkably thorough examination of what survives.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2007, 01:39:50 PM by Matt Ottinger »
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

BrandonFG

« Reply #1124 on: May 19, 2007, 01:40:19 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'152841\' date=\'May 19 2007, 01:19 PM\']
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' post=\'152840\' date=\'May 19 2007, 10:16 AM\']
I'm sure your average viewer is not even aware of the other two revivals.
[/quote]
I'm not your average viewer, and _I_ didn't even know about one of them. The only other one I know is the Larry Anderson version.
[/quote]
Bob Hilton hosted a version c. 1977. Jamie has a clip of it on his site.