Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: GSN 50 greatest game shows special...  (Read 154697 times)

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
GSN 50 greatest game shows special...
« Reply #30 on: June 20, 2006, 07:39:25 PM »
[quote name=\'zachhoran\' post=\'121958\' date=\'Jun 20 2006, 04:35 PM\']Where did Camouflage fit into all this? [/quote]The waste bin, I'm hoping.
Travis L. Eberle

Blanquepage

• "Pacman cereal: it eats YOU!" - Geoff, Starcade
« Reply #31 on: June 20, 2006, 07:40:49 PM »
Where did Camouflage fit into all this? Didn't it not start airing until after Crowd was cancelled, but before he pulled the plug on NG/DG/Gong?

According to the trusty EOGTVS, 3's a Crowd was cancelled the same month in which Camouflage debuted. After Camouflage's 13 weeks were up in April, it disappeared.

Hmm...now there's another seldom seen by great show. The original Morrow version, that is...

--Jamie
« Last Edit: June 20, 2006, 07:40:57 PM by Jimmy Fiono Coyne »

Brandon Brooks

« Reply #32 on: June 20, 2006, 11:37:28 PM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Fiono Coyne\' post=\'121961\' date=\'Jun 20 2006, 06:40 PM\']
Hmm...now there's another seldom seen by great show. The original Morrow version, that is...
[/quote]
I don't recall which version what on GSN's Game of the Week, but it was one of the worst game show's I've ever seen.  The "Pootie Tang" of game shows, if you will.

Brandon Brooks

beatlefreak84

« Reply #33 on: June 21, 2006, 01:28:19 AM »
I don't recall which version what on GSN's Game of the Week, but it was one of the worst game show's I've ever seen. The "Pootie Tang" of game shows, if you will.

That would be the Chuck Barris version from 1980 w/host Tom Campbell, which only lasted 13 weeks.  I might be in a vast minority, but I didn't think the show was too bad; it was a simple game with some good play-along and some nice prizes, and Campbell was pretty good as host.

I'm interested, though:  why did you (or anyone else who agrees) think the show was so bad?  I thought Barris did pretty good for his only straight-up, serious game show.

Anthony
You have da Arm-ee and da Leg-ee!

Temptation Dollars:  the only accepted currency for Lots of Love™

Blanquepage

• "Pacman cereal: it eats YOU!" - Geoff, Starcade
« Reply #34 on: June 21, 2006, 01:33:24 AM »

I don't recall which version what on GSN's Game of the Week, but it was one of the worst game show's I've ever seen. The "Pootie Tang" of game shows, if you will.

That would be a magnficently sub-par Chuck Barris remake with Tom Campbell. It doesn't even compare in quality to the original 60s version.

--Jamie

BrandonFG

« Reply #35 on: June 21, 2006, 01:50:45 AM »
[quote name=\'beatlefreak84\' post=\'121974\' date=\'Jun 21 2006, 01:28 AM\']
I'm interested, though:  why did you (or anyone else who agrees) think the show was so bad?  I thought Barris did pretty good for his only straight-up, serious game show.
[/quote]
I think a producer other than Chuck Barris could've pulled this off, but after doing silly camp and just bad stuff like "Gong" and "3's a Crowd", it seemed a little awkward to do something straight-forward like this, and there were times when they tried to inject the camp humor into "Camouflage" (i.e. that melodramatic tracing music). Just looking at his A&E "Biography" ep., one of his staffers noted how zany it was around his office, so it seems like he might've been a "fish out of water" in doing that show.

Also, there wasn't too much game to speak of. Answer the question, try and find the hidden image. Snooze.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

curtking

« Reply #36 on: June 21, 2006, 06:25:18 AM »
[quote name=\'rollercoaster87\' post=\'121956\' date=\'Jun 20 2006, 06:34 PM\']
By the way, is each episoide an hour or 30 minutes?
[/quote]
One hour, airing from 10PM-11PM EDT.  Begins July 18th and runs each Tues/Wed/Thu until August 31st.

The full press release is linked somewhere earlier in this thread.

Curt
« Last Edit: June 21, 2006, 06:26:00 AM by curtking »

Ian Wallis

« Reply #37 on: June 21, 2006, 09:06:59 AM »
I'm interested, though: why did you (or anyone else who agrees) think the show was so bad? I thought Barris did pretty good for his only straight-up, serious game show.

Actually, I always though Parent Game and Game Game were somewhat "serious" games.
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #38 on: June 21, 2006, 09:23:50 AM »
[quote name=\'Ian Wallis\' post=\'121993\' date=\'Jun 21 2006, 06:06 AM\']
Actually, I always though Parent Game and Game Game were somewhat "serious" games.
[/quote]
Game Game was....well, it was something. Definitely something.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

uncamark

« Reply #39 on: June 21, 2006, 04:16:48 PM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Fiono Coyne\' post=\'121953\' date=\'Jun 20 2006, 05:11 PM\']
Anyone thinking that Concentration will not be on their list

Of the shows that GSN doesn't have the rights to air, IMHO, Concentration, You Don't Say, The Price is Right, You Bet Your Life & Name That Tune   would be 5 shows whose presence is imperative in some form or another. [/quote]

Add "Truth or Consequences" to that list (and it is mentioned in the PDF flyer).  After all, between radio and TV it ran continuously for around three decades--and put Bob Barker in the "Guinness Book of World Records."

tvmitch

« Reply #40 on: June 26, 2006, 09:31:28 AM »
I apologize if this is repeated somewhere because I didn't see it...if the show runs over 7 weeks, and there's 50 shows, do we know if each show from 50 to 1 gets a full hour of time? Like, retrospectives plus a full episode?
You should follow me on Twitter

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
« Reply #41 on: June 26, 2006, 10:29:47 AM »
[quote name=\'mitchgroff\' post=\'122532\' date=\'Jun 26 2006, 08:31 AM\']
I apologize if this is repeated somewhere because I didn't see it...if the show runs over 7 weeks, and there's 50 shows, do we know if each show from 50 to 1 gets a full hour of time? Like, retrospectives plus a full episode?
[/quote]
Doesn't quite work that way.  It's actually 21 hours, or 42 half hours (three hours per week for seven weeks).  So some shows won't get a full episode.

Those that don't will most likely be shows that GSN doesn't have rights to air (read: TPIR), or they have the rights but other factors keep them off (read: GONG).

Doug
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

Sonic Whammy

« Reply #42 on: July 09, 2006, 12:51:49 PM »
I agree with all of the comments about GSN not having rights to shows that deserve to make the list. Most notable of all of them has to be Price Is Right. I know the TV Guide list a few years ago was a joke to quite a few people because of shows like Masquerade Party and Shenanigans making the list while stuff like Press Your Luck got ignored, but it's hard to disagree with their choice of Price as #1.

Of the others mentioned, I'd agree with Concentration, $ale of the Century and Scrabble at the least. Bottom line, it'll be a slightly bastardized countdown, but let's at least hope they show enough of the shows that we feel DO deserve to be on the list.

Keep a running count, everyone, and we'll compare notes when it's all said and done.
Brian Sapinski

Just Brian Sapinski... for now

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #43 on: July 09, 2006, 02:38:52 PM »
[quote name=\'Sonic Whammy\' post=\'123682\' date=\'Jul 9 2006, 11:51 AM\']
I know the TV Guide list a few years ago was a joke to quite a few people because of shows like Masquerade Party and Shenanigans making the list while stuff like Press Your Luck got ignored[/quote]
No, it was a joke to you PYL fans...who cried foul once again because their little "baby" got snubbed.  In case you didn't know, Masquerade Party ran more than twice as long as Press Your Luck.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2006, 02:41:28 PM by Modor »
--Mark
Phil 4:13

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #44 on: July 09, 2006, 02:46:34 PM »
[quote name=\'Modor\' post=\'123689\' date=\'Jul 9 2006, 11:38 AM\']
No, it was a joke to you PYL fans...who cried foul once again because their little "baby" got snubbed.
[/quote]
Ya know, I always giggle a little when the proprietor of the "Press Your Luck Palace" pulls out one of these random slams. I suggest everyone else try it, too. It's quite amusing.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe