Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: GSN 50 greatest game shows special...  (Read 154707 times)

aaron sica

GSN 50 greatest game shows special...
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2006, 01:53:34 PM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Fiono Coyne\' post=\'121910\' date=\'Jun 20 2006, 01:47 PM\']
I must say in retrospect, 10/11/97 - 4/18/98 wasn't so dark.
[/quote]

I must say that I agree with you. :)

While at the time, I really missed the G-T shows that had left the schedule, a good part of them eventually have come back (if even for short periods of time for some), looking back, it presented some terrific shows that haven't really been seen on a regular basis since - GO, and $20,000 PYRAMID for example.

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2006, 02:00:49 PM »
Here's an ad sales sheet on the show.

What's the show pictured right below Gene?
--Mark
Phil 4:13

Steve McClellan

« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2006, 02:06:27 PM »
[quote name=\'Modor\']
What's the show pictured right below Gene?[/quote]
Late-'70s TTTT.

Blanquepage

• "Pacman cereal: it eats YOU!" - Geoff, Starcade
« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2006, 02:21:10 PM »
I might be having a mental blank and don't recognize it, but look at the 5th show on the top row...what is that show?

(EDIT: Nevermind. I recognized it as Greed. I looked at the floor in the pic. hehe)

--Jamie
« Last Edit: June 20, 2006, 02:25:15 PM by Jimmy Fiono Coyne »

PYLW

« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2006, 02:40:39 PM »
[quote name=\'aaron sica\' post=\'121912\' date=\'Jun 20 2006, 01:53 PM\']
While at the time, I really missed the G-T shows that had left the schedule, a good part of them eventually have come back (if even for short periods of time for some), looking back, it presented some terrific shows that haven't really been seen on a regular basis since - GO, and $20,000 PYRAMID for example.
[/quote]

I simply must agree aswell. In fact, I'd enjoy it if it happened again, because a lot of rare and weird stuff was run on GSN at that time...

weaklink75

« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2006, 02:45:58 PM »

Blanquepage

« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2006, 03:32:34 PM »
So GSN executives basically were given a list of every game show produced and then voted on them?

I wonder how many old GSN originals made it now. If Friend or Foe is there and The Liar's Club or Celebrity Sweepstakes aren't, mark my words I will....probably just shake my head in dismay.

--Jamie
« Last Edit: June 20, 2006, 03:33:59 PM by Jimmy Fiono Coyne »

cmjb13

« Reply #22 on: June 20, 2006, 03:43:07 PM »
From the .pdf

This seven week marathon (through game show history) will feature interstitial programming as well as special broadcasts of full length episodes that made the grade.
Translated to...

We will show full episodes of only the shows we have the rights to.

Actually, I hope I'm wrong in that they would go out of their way to lease 1 episode of a show they don't have the rights to.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2006, 03:43:24 PM by cmjb13 »
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

Ian Wallis

« Reply #23 on: June 20, 2006, 04:08:18 PM »

Personally, I didn't find this period to be "dark" at all.  One of my favorites, the '76 Break the Bank was on during this time, never to return except for a couple of appearances on the old "Game of the Week".  If they ever do put a B&E show back on the schedule, I hope they can find a weekend slot for this one.  It's one that's of high quality and that everyone seems to like - and it has enough episodes to sustain a weekend run for quite a while.

I wonder how many old GSN originals made it now. If Friend or Foe is there and The Liar's Club or Celebrity Sweepstakes aren't, mark my words I will....probably just shake my head in dismay.

It looks as if it will just be a countdown of what they have in their vault - which will still give us a chance to see an episode or two of some of those long-off-the-schedule shows again :)
« Last Edit: June 20, 2006, 04:08:58 PM by Ian Wallis »
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

Blanquepage

« Reply #24 on: June 20, 2006, 05:43:15 PM »

It looks as if it will just be a countdown of what they have in their vault -  

I dunno. The press release did mention You Bet Your Life , one which GSN sure as heck doesn't have. Screw the 3AM hour, it'd be ideal for the morning lineup if they were to ever acquire it.

Also, another bit of info that I just learned about Three's a Crowd: the 1969 pilot was hosted by Wink Martindale and GSN does have it. It's a major stretch of hope, but MAYBE we'll see some brief clips from it?  

--Jamie
« Last Edit: June 20, 2006, 05:46:35 PM by Jimmy Fiono Coyne »

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #25 on: June 20, 2006, 05:53:05 PM »
A good number of the Groucho YBYL shows appear to be in public domain. If they used one of those they wouldn't have to outlay any cash or enter any long term agreements.  Of course, it might be better to go through NBC or whatever proper channels in the long run, but I know I bought a 4-episode DVD for a dollar recently.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

joshg

« Reply #26 on: June 20, 2006, 06:04:22 PM »
[quote name=\'cmjb13\' post=\'121930\' date=\'Jun 20 2006, 12:43 PM\']
From the .pdf

This seven week marathon (through game show history) will feature interstitial programming as well as special broadcasts of full length episodes that made the grade.
Translated to...

We will show full episodes of only the shows we have the rights to.

Actually, I hope I'm wrong in that they would go out of their way to lease 1 episode of a show they don't have the rights to.
[/quote]

Anyone thinking that Concentration will not be on their list? Maybe a better list is 'The 50 Greatest Game Shows We Don't Have Rights To'.
Because Chiffon Wrinkles...

Blanquepage

« Reply #27 on: June 20, 2006, 06:11:38 PM »
Anyone thinking that Concentration will not be on their list

Of the shows that GSN doesn't have the rights to air, IMHO, Concentration, You Don't Say, The Price is Right, You Bet Your Life & Name That Tune   would be 5 shows whose presence is imperative in some form or another.

--Jamie

Jeremy Nelson

« Reply #28 on: June 20, 2006, 07:34:33 PM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Fiono Coyne\' post=\'121953\' date=\'Jun 20 2006, 05:11 PM\']
Of the shows that GSN doesn't have the rights to air, IMHO, Concentration, You Don't Say, The Price is Right, You Bet Your Life & Name That Tune   would be 5 shows whose presence is imperative in some form or another.

--Jamie
[/quote]
Not to mention $ale of the Century. Like somebody already said, it's going to be "The 50 Greatest Game Shows that we have rights to". Unfortunately, I remember seeing glimpses of Dog Eat Dog in the TV promo they started running. By the way, is each episoide an hour or 30 inutes?
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

zachhoran

« Reply #29 on: June 20, 2006, 07:35:50 PM »
[quote name=\'Ian Wallis\' post=\'121900\' date=\'Jun 20 2006, 12:28 PM\']

One wonders how history would have changed had the show gotten on the air when he originally planned.  Barris mentioned that the negative press surrounding Three's a Crowd actually brought down the ratings of his other shows (Dating, Newlywed, Gong) that were on in first-run at the time.  Shortly after TAC was cancelled, he volunteeringly stopped production on all his shows and didn't offer them for the 1980-81 season.  

[/quote]

Where did Camouflage fit into all this? Didn't it not start airing until after Crowd was cancelled, but before he pulled the plug on NG/DG/Gong?