Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: GSN 50 greatest game shows special...  (Read 155944 times)

davemackey

GSN 50 greatest game shows special...
« Reply #90 on: July 18, 2006, 11:45:04 PM »
[quote name=\'catnap1972\' post=\'124491\' date=\'Jul 18 2006, 11:25 PM\']
[quote name=\'narzo\' post=\'124487\' date=\'Jul 18 2006, 11:12 PM\']

The closing theme was heard in tonights show so if GSN was trying to not have it heard, they messed up.  
(don't start screaming "no it wasn't heard, they cut the credits".  Who said it was heard during the credits on this show.)
[/quote]

Actually, from what I remembered (from a thread on that far-away wasteland on the internet that we don't speak of anymore), it was one of the prize reveal cues that was the issue with the show never having been run on GSN and not the "True Grit" closing theme.
[/quote]
If it was the Crusaders song that was objectionable, I heard it.

And I had totally forgotten until I saw the closing credits of that show that the first few seasons of Treasure Hunt were taped at ABC (I think the show moved to The Burbank Studios in 1975). Credits chock full of guys who were probably also working concurrently on Dating and Newlywed Games.

Nice to see GSN keeping all that "trivial" stuff in.

FeudDude

« Reply #91 on: July 18, 2006, 11:47:14 PM »
I enjoyed Treasure Hunt more than I thought I would.  It's cheesy, but it has an engaging quality to it, and Geoff was great at creating suspense.  And hey, I certainly can't complain about GSN showing rarities AND leaving the fee plugs in.  I could've done without 3's a Crowd, but I can't wait to see what GSN has in store over the next few weeks.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2006, 11:47:42 PM by FeudDude »

Chelsea Thrasher

« Reply #92 on: July 18, 2006, 11:48:26 PM »
Stupid DVR's been misfiring for the last week...Records some shows it shouldn't be, doesn't record others it should - not to mention it's frozen three times now - two of which I had nothing to do with.  One of the few times I miss GSN's old "Rerun the prime-time schedule" philosophy from earlier in the decade.  Would have really come in handy this time

AGTO...BT

Blanquepage

• "Pacman cereal: it eats YOU!" - Geoff, Starcade
« Reply #93 on: July 19, 2006, 02:48:02 AM »
Tonight's New Treasure Hunt was a real rare treat. Only 10 contestants won the $25,000 top prize and we were treated to one of them.

To clarify other posts, I can confirm that GSN's never aired this episode, and this is the SECOND episode of The New Treasure Hunt that they've aired in their lifetime.
The first time was during their 1994 launch marathon with an $8,000 win.
The next instance was in September '97 on Game TV following a guest appearance by Geoff himself. Instead of a normal Game TV show, they went into the vault and aired the 1973 premiere episode in full.

Big thumbs up to GSN here!

--Jamie
« Last Edit: July 19, 2006, 03:00:53 AM by Jimmy Fiono Coyne »

Craig Karlberg

« Reply #94 on: July 19, 2006, 03:18:59 AM »
What a way to start the 50 Greatest Games of All-Time!  #50 was OK, but #49 was a treat & a half!  I can see why only ladies are allowed on that show.  They can handle tension much better than the guys.  Geoff was rock solid here.  It's amazing that they'd showed a 1974 episode on there.  The earliest I can remember watching it was either 1976 or 1977.  It was neat hearing all those Chuck Barris music beds again especially True Grit.  Hopefully, #48 will get a nice full episode as well as #46.  As for #47, I'll bet they'll just give a slight passing reference to it before seeing #46.

narzo

« Reply #95 on: July 19, 2006, 03:39:37 AM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Fiono Coyne\' post=\'124497\' date=\'Jul 19 2006, 01:48 AM\']
Tonight's New Treasure Hunt was a real rare treat. Only 10 contestants won the $25,000 top prize and we were treated to one of them.

--Jamie
[/quote]

This was definately one of the most famous ones.  Her "win" was shown as a "if you're really lucky, something like this could happen to you" for the final 2 seasons, both alone and as part of a clip of many winners.  Which I happen to have on youtube (yeah, yeah, cheap plug) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=in9tezK8ns4 .  Sorry for the quality, I had made it into an m-peg 4 so i could put it on my i-pod and thats what I uploaded.

PYLW

« Reply #96 on: July 19, 2006, 04:23:55 AM »
Simply awesome, the whole full epsiode thing. My thoughts stayed the same on 3's a Crowd, but I've never seen Treasure Hunt before, and I loved it. Wish GSN would air more soon...

Chief-O

« Reply #97 on: July 19, 2006, 07:12:55 AM »
This was the first time I've ever seen Treasure Hunt, so I thought it was quite a treat to see a '70's ep, and [what looked to be] one of the better ones at that. I can say it's an interesting little show, and I'd sure love to see more someday.
.....and it goes like this!!!

tvwxman

« Reply #98 on: July 19, 2006, 09:55:11 AM »
Dont know if this has been discussed, but I have to wonder if GSN is looking closely at this show to see what shows do well, for future permanent scheduling....
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

cmjb13

« Reply #99 on: July 19, 2006, 10:13:09 AM »
[quote name=\'tvwxman\' post=\'124504\' date=\'Jul 19 2006, 09:55 AM\']
Dont know if this has been discussed, but I have to wonder if GSN is looking closely at this show to see what shows do well, for future permanent scheduling....
[/quote]
I was thinking the same thing. But how would one gauge? I suppose ratings would work, but they are so minute to begin with.

Now, if they advertised something ahead of time, like a full episode of Price, then I could understand a noticeable spike.
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

tvmitch

« Reply #100 on: July 19, 2006, 10:29:16 AM »
We had a power outage last night, and I missed this ep of Treasure Hunt. (I was not all that happy.)

So, if anyone out there taped it, I'll give you an hour from my collection in exchange, and I'll probably even throw in some bonuses. First come, first serve. TIA!
You should follow me on Twitter

uncamark

« Reply #101 on: July 19, 2006, 12:21:34 PM »
[quote name=\'tvwxman\' post=\'124504\' date=\'Jul 19 2006, 08:55 AM\']
[/quote]

What I'm thinking is if this may be one of the formats that Friedman's looking at for the fall 2007 syndication block.  As Dwyer said in his intro, there is that resemblance to "DOND" and it would be a nice bit of counterprogramming if NBCU's going ahead with the syndicated strip of "DOND" next year.

And like a geek, I was humming along with every one of those damn cues last night, especially since I haven't heard the non-Barris-written cues in decades.  Geek.  :)

Neumms

« Reply #102 on: July 19, 2006, 05:49:04 PM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' post=\'124508\' date=\'Jul 19 2006, 11:21 AM\']
What I'm thinking is if this may be one of the formats that Friedman's looking at for the fall 2007 syndication block.  As Dwyer said in his intro, there is that resemblance to "DOND" and it would be a nice bit of counterprogramming if NBCU's going ahead with the syndicated strip of "DOND" next year.

And like a geek, I was humming along with every one of those damn cues last night, especially since I haven't heard the non-Barris-written cues in decades.  Geek.  :)
[/quote]

Would someone older than I verify if what the models were wearing were hot pants? They were quite something in either case.

Jumpondees

« Reply #103 on: July 19, 2006, 10:41:20 PM »
[quote name=\'Craig Karlberg\' post=\'124498\' date=\'Jul 19 2006, 03:18 AM\']
 #48 will get a nice full episode as well as #46.  As for #47, I'll bet they'll just give a slight passing reference to it before seeing #46.
[/quote]

It's almost a shame that this indeed happened...I would have killed to see an episode of "Studs" again.  I guess growing up when I was a teen, I thought the show was hilarious...I would have liked to see if I had the same reaction some 10-15 years later to see if this show was a funny as I remember it, or if it was complete crap.  

I'm assuming that the reason why the show never got to air an episode in the "Top 50"  was not more so that GSN couldn't get clearance to 1 episode from Fox, but maybe because the tapes no longer exist?
« Last Edit: July 19, 2006, 10:50:14 PM by Jumpondees »

FOXSportsFan

« Reply #104 on: July 19, 2006, 10:44:22 PM »
I have a feeling we'll see two shows go that route tomorrow.  If you have Comcast Digital Cable, they list the shows, so I won't spoil them, but let's just say I don't particularly care to see show 45.